Performance penalty Rift vs Odyssey+ ?

Svsmokey

Hmm.. I wonder why some of you experience blurryness from the Odyssey+

The visuals are much better and the SDE is..almost gone but still there.

I am impressed with visual improvement and my ability to spot air targets is awesome. BFM has never been better!

However...damn thing is simply uncomfotable but I am going to sell the Vive anyway.

No noted performance impact over the Vive.. Maybe I have my settings done right..who know lol

No noted performance impact over the Vive.. Maybe I have my settings done right..who know lol

While many posts in this thread are helpful (and appreciated) , this is the first that actually answered the question :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Ok so on different occasions of using the O+ if i stop and force myself to focus on the screen its self i do see small little pixels. But to me its 90% percent better. I will not go back myself to the Rift. As for FPS currently my specs are I7 4790K 4.7 OC 16gbs ram and GTX 1070. I have not really set down to get a base line tweaking of settings. But i fly the harrier in a small mission with 8 stationary vehicles on the ground in Caucus and I get between 35 to 55fps depending location. Mostly 45fps.

I set the Steam VR Application to 200%

Video 100%

"renderTargetScale" 2.0

DCS PD 1.0

Texture and Terrain Textures High

Civ Traffic Off

Water High

Visib Range High

Heat Blur Off

Shadows Off

MSAA Off

Depth of Field Off

Lens Effect None

Motion Blur Off

SSAA Off

Clutter/Grass 0

Tree visibility 50%

Preload Radius max

I also got myself O+, I think I got it roughly setup now. I think I put it to 200% under the video and left the application alone. Anyway, I have seen some people also upping the PD in the game. Once I did it up to 1.4 I start getting some lag in tracking. There is also a little bit of hesitation with 1.0, with that I get solid 45 fps, with 1.4 it went to 27 fps, no real visual difference. I have GTX 1080ti and i7-8700k + 32 GB RAM.

Anyway, I already packed the Rift away and I am going to sell it after awhile I think, if nothing adverse pops up - thankfully I do not have any cross-eyed probs. O+ is not revolutionary better, the cockpit is a bit clearer and some things like HUD are actually bit less sharp, but I think I can do something about it. I think I can still improve things once I get to know O+ a bit better.

The only things I would add to the above Brewnix settings (I use Shadows=flat only and MSAA 2x + SSAA@1.5) is to use motionvector:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

which gives a steady 45FPS

for the Odyssey+ ( I have 9700K at 5.0Ghz and RTX2070).

I do have to fiddle with eye position to get it max clear but I am satisfied - I really like the brightness and intense colors. Maybe PiMAx in the future??

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

The only things I would add to the above Brewnix settings (I use Shadows=flat only and MSAA 2x + SSAA@1.5) is to use motionvector:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

which gives a steady 45FPS

for the Odyssey+ ( I have 9700K at 5.0Ghz and RTX2070).

I do have to fiddle with eye position to get it max clear but I am satisfied - I really like the brightness and intense colors. Maybe PiMAx in the future??

Do you know if there is a simple tool like the cross in Rift for getting the IPD right?

What benefits do you get out of the motionvector parameter?

Still not sure about Pimax doing more than increasing FOV, as it features less vertical pixels as O+, so might be that O+ will serve well enough for 2019...

Edited by Jyge

Hmm.. I wonder why some of you experience blurryness from the Odyssey+

The visuals are much better and the SDE is..almost gone but still there.

I am impressed with visual improvement and my ability to spot air targets is awesome. BFM has never been better!

However...damn thing is simply uncomfotable but I am going to sell the Vive anyway.

Maybe an IPD issue. My rift was fairly blurry until I started forcing the IPD setting in DCS which when I hit the sweet spot greatly improved clarity.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).