Why did my tires burst on take-off at 300 km/h?

Dr_Arrow

I was practicing take-offs with SPS jammer pod at 9800 kg takeoff weight. Out of my 10 successful attempts, my tires burst once. I was well within speed and AoA parameters and I cannot find a reason why it happened. I am attaching a track and a screenshot. So any thoughts why did the tires burst? I would like to avoid it in the future or there might be some bug, which causes this.

tyreburst.thumb.png.aeb08e5dd9d4c86f87dd0ceca1329d30.png

mig-21tyreburst.trk

over-speeding tires on take-off?

Hello,

I have burst tires by over-speeding on takeoff, and not realized it until I tried to land. I managed this faux-pas when I was heavily loaded and did not put on enough take-off trim, so the jet didn't want to fly.

When you have a heavy load, keep pressure on the stick upwards even at 200km/hr, the moment the nose starts lifing, don't lean too much into it or you're going to bounce on the runway, which is no fun. Ease upwards and retract.

Usually this works for me. I practice with a loadout of 4 S-24s and an 800L fuel tank. your tires will burst occasionally, but you can really easily do that if you damage them a good deal by going off the taxiway into the dirt

<boris badenov>

Komrade!

Only finest material used in mig21 tires! Kuality Kontrol by durnk vodka tire union. 1 out of 10 failuers well within "mil-speck".

</boris badenov>

Yeah, no clue, sorry... Add it to the bug list.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was practicing take-offs with SPS jammer pod at 9800 kg takeoff weight. Out of my 10 successful attempts, my tires burst once. I was well within speed and AoA parameters and I cannot find a reason why it happened. I am attaching a track and a screenshot. So any thoughts why did the tires burst? I would like to avoid it in the future or there might be some bug, which causes this.

Looking at you track, I would suggest is to use the emergency AB. I can remember where it was posted, but I guess over some weights you are suppose to use it. Two, don't start pulling on the stick until about 200 to 250 Kph. I took control of you track about 3 time and was able to take off with tires intact. I also created a mission and tried a couple of time. The track are in the Caucasus, using OB 2.5.4.26825

[ATTACH]203497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203495[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Looking at you track, I would suggest is to use the emergency AB. I can remember where it was posted, but I guess over some weights you are suppose to use it. Two, don't start pulling on the stick until about 200 to 250 Kph. I took control of you track about 3 time and was able to take off with tires intact. I also created a mission and tried a couple of time. The track are in the Caucasus, using OB 2.5.4.26825

[ATTACH]203497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203495[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll try the second burner and late stick pull. I was also able to take-off 9 times without problems the way in the track, only on one attempt the tires have burst. The early stick pull could probably cause it, but it is a standard take-off technique written in manuals that I have - pull the stick to 2/3, 3/4 (or even fully) at a speed of 100 - 150 km/h, it can be seen in this video for example (1:11 min.) after the front wheel lifts off ease up on the stick to stabilize at take off AoA:

9 out of 10 is a good average. Never mind, continue what your doing then.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

9 out of 10 is a good average. Never mind, continue what your doing then.

In a sim maybe, in the real world you'd run out of planes pretty quick..

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In a sim maybe, in the real world you'd run out of planes pretty quick..

Good thing I do not fly the MIG-21 in RL.

To whom it may concern,

• 3 weeks later...

rotate as soon as you're gaining speed past 100 km/h. When the nose begins to climb, relax pull a little so as to get the takeoff attitude - around 10 units of AoA. Its easily discernible at the 9 o'clock position on the AoA scale (the one with yellow and red dashes, on your right next to the SPO Beryoza simple RWR). You just hold this attitude and as soon as you see the earth going below you (the runway sidelines), retract gear and flaps and keep the pull as is.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Occasionally that doesn't quite work. No stores, 490L tank, full fuel. Low baro pressure, temps in the 20s. Pulled the stick aft between 200-250kmh, but the nose refused to come up until 400kmh. Since then I've been pulling the stick almost full aft at 100kmh, and nearly tail-strike while getting up just before 350kmh.

Occasionally that doesn't quite work. No stores, 490L tank, full fuel. Low baro pressure, temps in the 20s. Pulled the stick aft between 200-250kmh, but the nose refused to come up until 400kmh. Since then I've been pulling the stick almost full aft at 100kmh, and nearly tail-strike while getting up just before 350kmh.

This is for with stores. 800/490L centerline, two Rs and four two-mount 60's. You guys should post a track. Also, you don't pull and hold you relax a little bit without going too far forward with the stick or going back to where you were with the stick and it just peels off nicely from the runway.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Trim about 6 to 8 clicks nose up, gently start pulling the stick at arround 150 km/h, try to take off slowly with about 10 degree. Do not push all the weight on the main wheels by pulling hard to get her airborne. This gives me maybe 2% tire burst rate, the trim is depending on takeoff weight.

Are there trim charts for takeoff weight? I don't recall seeing any mention of takeoff trim in the Leatherneck manual or Chuck's Guide.

there isn't. Around 250 kph the nose starts to climb, relax the pull and stabilize in attitude. She lifts off the ground no problem. Tires intact.