Afterburner Cut and Engine Oil Cutoff: confusion?

Redglyph

DCS 2.5.4.28461

I previously reported a problem in training mission 2 (cold start), but the problem seems to be in the system modelling and/or in the documentation.

In summary, the problem is: after clicking on the Afterburner Disable button of the throttle quadrant,

- the military power lamps don't illuminate as expected when the throttle are fully pushed, and

- the afterburner is not restored as expected after clicking on the Afterburner Enable button.

This doesn't occur in other missions (hot start / air start).

It turns out both problems are due to the "Left/Right Afterburner Cut" switches, which are set to ON during the pre-start procedure.

So I'm wondering,

- Afterburner Cut, ON = the afterburner is cut? or is that the reverse?

- Engine Oil Cutoff, ON = oil cut? or is that the reverse?

I think there's a confusion here. Note that either position doesn't seem to bother the engine for the oil cutoff, so maybe this isn't modelled yet due to the very early access status of this module.

Could Razbam clarify this little yet important part? :)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

It was reported before. Issue in the mission.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yeah... I saw the video (and was not a huge fan of it frankly) but it doesn't link the two problems, and hardly counts as a report in this forum in the first placce, I suppose ;)

PS: also, the author of the video states a lot of things without giving any source, so I'm can't rely on that info, to me it's just venting (perhaps necessary for some under the circumstances, but that's another story)

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 3 weeks later...

I checked in today's update but I see no change, and still no answer here to clarify the problem...

Hello,

As I told before, the switches were always working correctly, but the manual was wrong. The manual have been fixed and also the training IRC.

The switches must remain down(OFF), if they are up(ON) they activate the MIL and AB cut valves and also the oil ones. They are only used in emergencies, like engine fire.

That looked like it but it's good to have confirmation, thanks! The current version of the manual only lists those switches without mentioning which position does what and the procedure still instructs to put them ON. There was indeed a mention by someone else that it should change and that the manual was wrong, but nothing official so it was hard to know for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
DCS 2.5.4.28461

I think there's a confusion here. Note that either position doesn't seem to bother the engine for the oil cutoff, so maybe this isn't modelled yet due to the very early access status of this module.

Could Razbam clarify this little yet important part? :)

This cut-off oil of the hydraulic system. Each engine has its own hydraulic pump, it sistem duplicated. It turns on when one of the engines fails or hydraulic fluid leaks.

Razbam not implemented this.

The MiG-19 has a dual hydraulic system, and a triple electric depth rudder system.

Edited by Anaglob

This cut-off oil of the hydraulic system. Each engine has its own hydraulic pump, it sistem duplicated. It turns on when one of the engines fails or hydraulic fluid leaks.

Razbam not implemented this.

The MiG-19 has a dual hydraulic system, and a triple electric depth rudder system.

Anaglob,

The switches to close engine oil electro-valves are there to cut the oil supply to the engines in case of engine fire or leaks that can lead to fire. This system has nothing to do with the hydraulic system, which by the way can´t be stopped by any means other than to shut down the engines, the only hydraulic actuators that can be turned ON or OFF are the BU-13M that actuate the ailerons.

The dual hydraulic system and MUS-2 system are correctly modeled in Razbam´s MiG-19P.

I don't think the Engine Oil cutoff switches (Agree with OverStratos on what they are) are doing anything at the moment - I'm not sure the oil system is modelled beyond Engine RPM low = no oil pressure.

I just flew for a few minutes with those switches ON & no warnings appeared, no overheating - no funny burning smell from the engine.

I then flew inverted for well over 2 minutes with the switches ON, and again, nothing happened until both engines lost power, presumably flaming out due to fuel starvation. THEN I got oil warning, and Generator warning lights. I rolled upright, did a quick air start and all was well again. All warning lights went out & no fires or smoke.

I'm fairly sure that flying inverted for that long should cause a problem with the oil system. I'm not too sure about the fuel system, but I did have drop-tanks, so gravity feed might have been in play - I know that jettisoning them cause a flameuout to happen a lot sooner.

Edited by mkiii