JHMCS using track IR

Bullant

The Easiest option would be would require decoupling of the players head/view controls and move the HMD to it's own axes controls (for trackIR at least).
(Decoupling HMD Movement from Head Movement Axes)

So Cockpit view would remain un affected while HMD would follow players Track IR Axis movements.

This would work for players that want the cockpit view to remain static and only move the HMD with their head (Domes and Really wide View angles),
This would not work for a player that wants to control both view and HMD with track IR.

The problems with de-coupling and allowing the Tracking to control both Head/View and HMD at the same time would be Multiplier Values.
Having TrackIR control both player's head and the HMD across ultra wide and 3 screen or dome setups would be extremely tricky as the Axes multiplier varies depending on screen size, orientation and resolution.

So for one player a set value would equal player head and HMD movement in a 1:1 Ratio and the HMD stays centered in their view (w/ the head/eyes, not center on the screen/viewport), but for another player w/ larger displays and track IR view angles, that same value would only result in the HMD moving 50% off center etc. 

Despite the player looking over their shoulder the center of the rendered viewport is still going to be in front of them.

Best case scenario if it could do both would be to have a "Ratio" setting to control the HMD Offset as the player turns his/her head (ie 45 degrees TrackIR Axis = 90 Degrees in DCS, Thus moving HMD at a 2:1 ratio, allowing it to move not only from the center of the screen but to the players physical viewpoint.)

The issue after that would be vertical decoupling, most players run 3 screens wide or ultra wide, not 3 screens tall, or ultra tall displays, so looking up, the HMD would quickly shoot off the top of the screen, Full 180 / 360 Domes would likely be unaffected.

So on top of "TIR Ratio" you'd also need Axis bounding limits so it does not render off the screen, or the option to only decouple specific axes.

While X (Up / Down) and Z (Left / Right) would be the 2 axes to decouple, you can also decouple Y (Tilt L / R) Axis, and allow player to tilt his head and the HMD remain aligned to the player's head tilt, but again, the Multipliers would have to be set for each axis at that point, as TrackIR Head Tilt is pretty much 1:1 or close to it, vs Rotate L/R U/D being close to 2:1

At this point one can see the only real solution for TrackIR is to allow the Player to adjust HMD : Head Tracking Ratio for each Axis individually,
As well as the option to De-Couple it entirely for someone in a Dome Setup and/or move the HMD to it's own Viewport like the HUD and allow them to render it through lens to display onto their own HMD Glass/Visor.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

On 9/26/2021 at 12:59 AM, SpeedDemonAdam said:

With my triple monitor setup, HMD equipped aircraft are awkward to use the HMD as it only utilizes the center monitor. I have seen a few sim builders not using HMD in jets for this reason if they use multi projector setups etc. TheWarthogProject is famous for not using HMD on his simulator when using it without VR. Iceman's post Here identifies the issue well. 

Photo credit 5/7/2021 at 1:45 AM, Iceman555

image.pngimage.png1409944619_HMDcase.thumb.png.1810d68d0ff3192e27b168497599fa37.png

I would like to see a way we could tune the movement of the HMD or at least have it slew over to another monitor.

The setup for reference that I use see the linked post for Iceman555's setup details. I noticed the issue after adding a head tracker also was seen when I used a joystick on the throttle to look around. 

129330292_733578630901401_5236259516075610598_n(1).jpg

A few more threads talking about this. 

looking at your monitor picture it seems your multi monitor setup isn't configured correctly, where the monitors meet the lines on the concrete should not be at angles like that, could you post the monitor config in here so I can check it for you

that is because the "3 Camera's" Lua left and right cameras are using Axis offset of 90 Degrees.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

for the record, if ED decided to pursue a solution,
I wouldnt expect it to be a quick turn-around, as it would require a lot of re-writing viewport codes.

• 3 weeks later...

This may not be as hard as it sounds. Adding a check box to the settings to decouple the head from environment would tell game that head moves do not move the environment only the hmcs.  Internally there must be multiple coordinate frames so the math isnt new.   As for the calibration concerns for different monitors users of track ir already have to calibrate head movement to angle. So that calibrations isnt even a dcs issue. Basicly if dcs gets a command to steer head to 67 degrees they rotate the pilot head to 67. Track ir software converts a physical head rotate to 67 degrees

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2023 at 12:35 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

apologies I have overlooked these threads, I have merged them now into one, and I will try to get it looked into. 

I dont personally use TrackIR any more, I sold mine as soon as I got VR and mostly fly in VR now. I will ask someone in the team who has multi screens and trackIR to test. 

thanks

Seems there was a lot of misunderstanding further up the thread. But the request is a great one. Think about it: the market is becoming saturated with 3rd party add-ons and building a whole sim cockpit is becoming easier and cheaper all the time. For those of us with that ambition, solving that problem seems a logical and natural course. If I had 270° of view, then all I want to have moving when I turn my head is the HMD, so I can lock up that dang SU-33 chasing me down! Since it will take some sort of head tracking device to make it work, and they've been out for some time, it seems the only thing lacking is the ability to keep the view stationary while moving only the HMD instead.

Solving this would be a real game changer for the sim pit builders that aren't scared to dogfight far more capable aircraft when they should be, such as myself...

• Like 2

Just for clarification, the request is to make the HMD work as it should work in real life, rather than panning all the scenery as we have it now. It looks like folks have become so adjusted to having it the way it is now that there is a hard time even understanding what the request is. Perhaps it needs to be an option with a checkbox for sim pit builders.

I imagine that it becoming a simple check box option will take quite a lot of work to develop, with lots of code to make. I hope this can become reality. It would make so much more sense to do it this way.

17 hours ago, Harley said:

Think about it: the market is becoming saturated with 3rd party add-ons and building a whole sim cockpit is becoming easier and cheaper all the time.

It’s cool to contemplate but I think the number of players with a 270d wrap-around screen is very very small. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

19 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s cool to contemplate but I think the number of players with a 270d wrap-around screen is very very small. 

Perhaps that is true, but how many multiple monitors are in use? Also, it's how the HMD is supposed to work anyway. I think it's a useful option to incorporate.