RAM speed question

I have a Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming (Mini-ITX) motherboard, and a Intel I7-6700K CPU. I'm currently on Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16 GIGs of RAM @ 2133mhz, and have concluded I need more.

I'm eyeing Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 gig @ 2666 mhz. The motherboard supports those speeds. But for my CPU it reads:

Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

Can I still have use those memory sticks? Do I need to set a lower speed in BIOS? The 32 gig of RAM from same manufacturer at 2133 mhz are a lot more expensive for some reason, so I rather not buy those.

I have the same I7-6700K CPU as you and am running 16GB @~3300 mhz with no problems. My understanding is that it is motherboard dependent as to which speeds you can run. You MB manual should tell you which RAM speeds/types are compatible.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

Speed is nice but also so is lower latency.

I put 32GB of 3200 MHz CL14 ram in this new build I did and am pretty pleased with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ram speed is almost irrelevant u get prolly 2 fps more on 3200 that 2667 so dont worry about speed also dont worry that ur cpu doesnt list 2667 on its OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED list because 2667 will still work perfectly with ur cpu i mean there are pros who run 4266mhz so ye

Just buy cheap sticks u wont gain much at all, now bye

Well I can only say from observation both with 5930K and 9600K systems I have for VR, RAM speed helps a lot, as etherbattx indicates I don't see a direct correlation of 50% faster RAM equates to 50% more frame rate it doesn't. It does however make a difference.

RAM speed affects overall performance and noticeably so, how that impacts on older CPU/mobo/chipset is another story.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I have a Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming (Mini-ITX) motherboard, and a Intel I7-6700K CPU. I'm currently on Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16 GIGs of RAM @ 2133mhz, and have concluded I need more.

I'm eyeing Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 gig @ 2666 mhz. The motherboard supports those speeds. But for my CPU it reads:

Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

Can I still have use those memory sticks? Do I need to set a lower speed in BIOS? The 32 gig of RAM from same manufacturer at 2133 mhz are a lot more expensive for some reason, so I rather not buy those.

I kinda missed this,..

No, your motherboard does not support DDR3 or DDR3L these are physically and electrically different to DDR4.

Your motherboard can take advantage of the higher RAM speed especially in DMA transfers for data moving between RAM to RAM and RAM to SSD and RAM to PCIe aka your GPU/m.2.

dburne is spot on fast and low latency RAM will cost a bit more but give you better results.

I do recommend 32GB for MP use or large SP missions but your choice at the end of the day. :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well I can only say from observation both with 5930K and 9600K systems I have for VR, RAM speed helps a lot, as etherbattx indicates I don't see a direct correlation of 50% faster RAM equates to 50% more frame rate it doesn't. It does however make a difference.

RAM speed affects overall performance and noticeably so, how that impacts on older CPU/mobo/chipset is another story.

Really? Ram speed helps? Thats weird but either way u dont need to shell out money for a high speed kit, u can just buy a cheap one and overclock it to 3200mhz (thats the sweet spot). But for ryzen cpus ram speed and latency is super important.

Really? Ram speed helps? Thats weird but either way u dont need to shell out money for a high speed kit, u can just buy a cheap one and overclock it to 3200mhz (thats the sweet spot). But for ryzen cpus ram speed and latency is super important.

Oh wait a minute then in the same sentence your suggesting to O/C your RAM to 3200Mhz because well that's the sweet spot. :huh:

Observation and anyone can test this, RAM speed has a direct effect on being able to hold 90FPS over 45FPS and that is not for one minute suggesting that you get "an extra 45FPS" by adding faster RAM. What adding faster RAM does is it allows your system to more consistently achieve 11ms frame render times and hence maintain 90FPS.

Can only say it makes a difference and it's significant especially in VR. :thumbup:

My experience is the same as FragBum. In VR you need it, perhaps not in 2D.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

In my own "personal" experience, even in 2D, it seems & feels smoother at 3600 compared to 3000 and lower. Sadly mine wont XMP and I have to dial back to 3000. Makes me cry Baaaahh

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Oh wait a minute then in the same sentence your suggesting to O/C your RAM to 3200Mhz because well that's the sweet spot. :huh:

Observation and anyone can test this, RAM speed has a direct effect on being able to hold 90FPS over 45FPS and that is not for one minute suggesting that you get "an extra 45FPS" by adding faster RAM. What adding faster RAM does is it allows your system to more consistently achieve 11ms frame render times and hence maintain 90FPS.

Can only say it makes a difference and it's significant especially in VR. :thumbup:

Well in games that dont utilise ur cpu much u get like 2-4 more fps on 3200 vs 2400 but going beyond 3200 doesnt net u anything thats why its the sweet spot :)

BUT dcs does utilises yer cpu almost 100% on r5 1600 when looking at cities (prolly draw calls mostly) so maybe in that scenario it will give u a boost as big as u said idk tho

My point is dont waste money on faster ram kit unless its like only 10 euros more or something cuz u can easily oc them anyways

Here prices for ddr 2400mhz 16gb 90 euros and 3000mhz 100 euros so that would be worth it

Edited by BranchPrediction

You should point out as well that it is not only the RAM speed but also the Latency it comes with, both together make the math. A higher speed RAM module may be slower if the latency rises too much, say a 3000-CL14 vs. a 3600-CL18, the 3000er would be the better deal,very likely. But if you fetch some CL15 or CL16 of 3600er it looks much better for the 3600er. It's pure math and

you better do the math before buying into 3866 CL19 for a lot of money and not get faster than a speedy 3000er with real low latency.

The sweetspot imho is 3600 CL16/CL15, above that it hardly gets better just more expensive.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You should point out as well that it is not only the RAM speed but also the Latency it comes with, both together make the math. A higher speed RAM module may be slower if the latency rises too much, say a 3000-CL14 vs. a 3600-CL18, the 3000er would be the better deal,very likely. But if you fetch some CL15 or CL16 of 3600er it looks much better for the 3600er. It's pure math and

you better do the math before buying into 3866 CL19 for a lot of money and not get faster than a speedy 3000er with real low latency.

The sweetspot imho is 3600 CL16/CL15, above that it hardly gets better just more expensive.

Ur right u cant forget about cas latency but games like frequency just a bit more than cas latency, but indeed u have to find a good balance betweem freq... And latency. 3600mhz isuch more expensive than 3000mhz here and quite frankly not worth it, besides i like twinkering the ram settings in the bios, i wish i could do that for a living lol

Ur right u cant forget about cas latency but games like frequency just a bit more than cas latency, but indeed u have to find a good balance betweem freq... And latency. 3600mhz isuch more expensive than 3000mhz here and quite frankly not worth it, besides i like twinkering the ram settings in the bios, i wish i could do that for a living lol

Haha, great. I love overclocking but I do hate to mess with RAM settings as they are so obscure and often not well documented so basically, I dont know what I am doing while i do it, a thing I really dislike.

I have been trying to get my RAM to XMP 3600 and it just will not with 4 modules, 2 are ok with XMP in any 2 slots, just 4 won't. They do XMP flawless in my Z270 board, it's this particular board in mysig that does not like CL16 with 3600 and in general hates my RAM as I need to clock down to 3000 to really have zero BSOD. With 3200 I have 2-3 a week, with any faster I get BSOD right when booting or shortly after, no matterwhat values, volts and latencies I dialed in. Ruined like 2 or 3 10 installs this way ( my bad and my error ), ever since I only boot toLinux Mint when I think I need to work the RAM, LEAVE WINDOWS ALONE when you mess with RAM is what I learned the hard way last year, haha.

You say games love speed over latency.

Inmy understanding, one does not come without the other and what counts is the actual access time, which is a result of the former two variables. You cannot look at them on their own, only together. Marketing does not wantyou to know this as no one would by fast RAM with high latency if the actual resulting speed is lower than a lower clocked RAM with less latency.

3000 CL12 is hard to beat, and very high in price, hard to find and you have to be lucky to find a board and IMC that can push it. The harder you push it the narrower the gap gets you need to get through, like with all other things.

If I had to buy new I would likely look for some real low latency 3000-3200 modules as chances are higher to get them working, but there is no guaranty it will work, not even the QVL will make that happen. QVL isnice, a good reference point but in no way a guaranty ( according to Asus Forum Black Belt guru and Moderator )

No no on normal games not dcs u get around 2 to 4 fps more on 3200 vs 2400 but these people say u get a much better experience on dcs, its smoother they say. So then u will need like 3000mhz ram, try to buy a 3000mhz kit their only 10 bucks more than 2667 where i live.

For best performance you need to also consider latency as well which will further increase the cost of a RAM kit.

A bit of background, DCS is very much CPU bound and the faster you can move data around allows more CPU usage for DCS calcs hence the "feel" of smother game play. Whilst FPS improvements is secondary perhaps in 2D in VR getting more CPU time to run the game engine allows DCS to get the required data to the GPU to maintain 90FPS.

This rig I am running 9600K in sig and even the 5930K rig really only got moderate improvements going from 1080Ti to 2080Ti GPU's. Both GPUs are capable of running Rift VR @90FPS. Depending on scene complexity there are a number of other factors like reducing ASW. In game play I get 45FPS on ground and away from complex scenarios 90FPS.

The 2080Ti is more consistent at 90FPS even with more eye candy.

so i kinda got lost in these posts...

based on real tests, we are saying a 50% ram speed increase is worth 2-4 FPS?

but only if you are in VR?

No. What it does in DCS with VR is it allows the system to more easily and consistently achieve frame rendering at 11ms (milliseconds) and hence maintain 90FPS in VR. In VR we really want to maintain consistent frame rate and stay out of AWS (or it's functional equivalent) and 90FPS is the holy grail.

As to other games and 2D I don't know, however for rendering video and RAWs faster RAM also improves performance of your system.

It's the trinity of DCS performance especially in VR

CPU clock, GPU and RAM speed.

@BitMaster RAM has got to be the most finicky aspect of O/Cing it seems somewhat dependent on planetary alignment and the quality of garlic cloves you put on top of the PC. :megalol:

Bring on these VR improvements mentioned elsewhere in this forum. :D

RAM speed question

i don’t understand why ram speed makes so much difference in DCS compared to other games or software.

all software and games require the CPU and all the data (and code instructions) the CPU needs comes from RAM. so won’t any software title that uses data and instructions benefit just like DCS?

DCS doesn’t even load the CPU as much as some other software does. so how can it benefit more?

RAM speed question

In my logic, RAM Speed that is 1/2-2 Times faster makes sense if you move lots of that RAM around and need to do that in a certain time with whatever RAM layout you have, 2-3-4-6 channel, and the default JDEC speed won’t do it. 2133 vs 3200 is roughly 50% more data in the same time, or, the same data in like 66% of that allowed timeframe. 2 views at one and the same.

Imho 2-Channel isn’t sufficient anymore at 2133 or 2666 IF you need more RAM than like 8-16GB total. Either add channels or make them faster if it depends on that.

That‘s how I understand this correlation with DCS VR. It needs rather 16-32GB than 8-16GB total if you stress it. VR seems to benefit from the fast exchange speed as it not really needs considerably more RAM than 2D.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Edited by BitMaster

Lol why all this vr talk, op didnt mention he has vr neither do i so ill stay out of that water.

To the op dcs does use alot of cpu even 6 cores get +- maxed out when looking at a city and because it does use cpu that much u need to feed it properly, avoid bottlenecking ur cpu by ur ram like on my shitty laptop :)

Other games tho usually dont use ur cpu that much.

Honestly ur question was if ur cpu would support that ram kit and yes it does, this all got out of hand. But maybe now u want a faster kit? Well if u dont really know much about ocing ur ram then i geuss you willl have to buy a more expensive kit, but u will still have to go into bios even if u buy a 3200mhz kit or something.

RAM speed question

VR seems to benefit from the fast exchange speed as it not really needs considerably more RAM than 2D

you mean VR uses more system RAM or more VRAM?

its possible, but i don’t understand why it would need more main system RAM (the part you say needs to be sped up).

in VR you send geometry to an api, same as non-VR.