Coordinates with VR

CptTangerine

Hi

I wanted to give Smerch hunt a go in VR (I haven't really revisited the A10 since I got VR) and I am having a few problems. The main problem is with inputting coordinates given during the mission. The first problem is remembering them - I used to write them down when I was playing with TrackIR but that's pretty much impossible with the Vive on my head, and the second problem is being able to see the keypad to type them in.

Has anyone come up with a decent solution to this?

Cheers!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

If its a mission you make your self, then you can make your own kneeboard and put it in the game.. You are able to make the kneeboard popup in the plane and then you can easy read the coordinates you peplaned and even read and enter the coordinates at the same time, and in VR ;-)

There are some automatic kneeboard mods where you example in your writing problem on your pc make a PDF file and then import it into the mod and it will then make the kneeboard for you. You can even combine 1-99 other pages onto your kneeboard so you can so to speak have many pages.

I do however recommend to keep it simple ;-)

THe big problem now is to enter all the data, it would be much more easy if you could popup the computer you use in the plane in a 2d image like the kneeboard when typing. ( but i think you can also use the keypad below your HUD to enter data but I always used the computer next to my right leg )

You can also make your own snap views and bind them to make it easier to enter things.

DCS A-10C snap view test

Binding snap views in sim

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Have a look at this mod, I use it and its bloody great ! Its called ScratchPad and its the best thing since bottled beer and strapless bra's !

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229077

Edited by Strut

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Hi

Thanks for those suggestions. The scratchpad solution looks very good. Pretty much the same as using a pen and paper, I hope.

I was considering using the active pause, but the fact that it has (cheat) next to it in the controls listing puts me off. I hate cheating or doing anything that reduces the realism of a game.

Cheers!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Also, VoiceAttack has a dictation mode that can be used to type into the scratchpad using voice.

My goal is never to use the keyboard. At this point, if I have to use the keyboard for anything, I make a note of it and attempt to incorporate it into VoiceAttack.

“Toggle scratchpad” will press the shortcut to toggle the scratchpad mod, for instance. :)

This sounds like an excellent workaround. I will definitely give that a go on my days off.

• 4 years later...

I know this post is very old but I was searching for a solution to the coordinate entering in VR issue. It would be great if we could add mark points in the mission editor and then they are uploaded to the plane during load all.

For now I have bound all of the letter keys and the numpad keys to VoiceAttack. The letter keys are used for some other stuff by default in the A-10C but nothing that I want to be using as I don't use the keyboard. I don't think I came across anything that was't bound to the hotas anyway. I have the coordinates for targets in the mission briefing and/or on my kneeboard so I can easily find them. I then create a new waypoint in the plane in the usual way and just read out the waypoint coordinates using VoiceAttack. It took a while to get to grips with how quickly I can enter the coordinates but I have noticed I can enter the next digit as soon as the last has appeared - I have it set to 0.1 sec in Voice Attack but I'm sure I could reduce that, i'll experiment.

I hope this helps UNTIL ED allow us to set mark points in the mission editor! Please!

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

3 hours ago, Nialfb said:

I know this post is very old but I was searching for a solution to the coordinate entering in VR issue. It would be great if we could add mark points in the mission editor and then they are uploaded to the plane during load all.

For now I have bound all of the letter keys and the numpad keys to VoiceAttack. The letter keys are used for some other stuff by default in the A-10C but nothing that I want to be using as I don't use the keyboard. I don't think I came across anything that was't bound to the hotas anyway. I have the coordinates for targets in the mission briefing and/or on my kneeboard so I can easily find them. I then create a new waypoint in the plane in the usual way and just read out the waypoint coordinates using VoiceAttack. It took a while to get to grips with how quickly I can enter the coordinates but I have noticed I can enter the next digit as soon as the last has appeared - I have it set to 0.1 sec in Voice Attack but I'm sure I could reduce that, i'll experiment.

I hope this helps UNTIL ED allow us to set mark points in the mission editor! Please!

My understanding is that markpoints are only created by the pilot to drop on locations visually or using sensors--they're not used for anything pre-planned.  Those would be the regular waypoints which can be created in the mission editor.

FWIW, you can make good use of a USB numpad or half-keyboard for the number entry on coordinates.  Letters are used less often in MGRS and you can use the mouse or VoiceAttack for those (or you can use the letter function on the UFC)

• Like 1