F-14B : OPERATION CAGE THE BEAR

kaba

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone else having issues with the AI wingman not responding to any radio directives? I've tried FLIGHT, WINGMAN 2, WINGMAN 3, and he never responds to or follows any of my directives.

What mission? What version? I used to press Mic button for AN/ARC-182 (Ch 1) and select Flight since it's only 2 aircraft flight.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Default freq for Wingman is 124MHz AM as set in Ch 1 on AN/ARC-182. Use this in any mission unless stated otherwise in Briefing. Both Flight and Wingman #2 commands work.

I tested start of the mission #1 (hot start) from campaign in 2.5.6. and our flight is delayed at first but then we are set to go and Wingman take off just fine and comms work too.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I'm trying to work out what has caused this delay at the start of the missions (haven't yet updated on my side). Have AI flights switched which catapult they start from? Or is something else interfered with the cats?

That's on hot starts - what about cold starts?

Thanks - So from reading that, it looks like player is delayed if an AI is using a cat at mission start. That is tricky, as many missions have AI on cats at the start... Path of least resistance might be waiting for a fix from ED unfortunately.

CTB 3 needs a fighter sweep or CAP element to be realistically feasible. If your wingman were human, or smart enough to sort targets, the bandits over the target area would be no problem. But with the current AI, he smacks himself into a mountain on ingress and you're left to fight armed-to-the-teeth fighters, alone, with a load of bombs. SARH duel ends in a draw, merge with one for a Sidewinder shot, only to get blasted by his wingman, every single time, because you don't have competent wingman support.

1. Take care of your wingman and command him to good use.

2. You'd RTB in case of lost wingman not try to be Rambo.

3. Mission is randomized so it plays differently - sometimes you can get away with job done before the fighters intercept you.

Edited by draconus

SA-10 requires NOE ingress. Am I supposed to fly into the WEZ to keep my wingman from CFIT? Until there's a radio command for "watch the mountains" his failure to avoid terrain is beyond my ability to command him to good use.

Edited by Nealius

Don't fly too close to SEAD flight. Of course you don't go into SA-10 WEZ. Wingman flies formation but usually avoids the ground. Either way you still control where he goes. Try trail formation in mountains.

Edited by draconus

Hey Nealius

Thanks for the comments on that mission. I think in a future update I'd like to include an optional CAP flight you can call in if it gets too hot.

Until i can find the time to do so, i suggest staying out of the SA 10 WEZ until it goes down to the SEAD flight, then make a quick strike and burn out of there.

Thanks

Edited by kaba

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I've updated the campaign.

Key changes:

• Added - Two new missions
  • Added - You can now call in optional CAP to assist you on mission 3
  • Fixed - Delayed spawn issues (2.5.6 beta client)

Known issues:

• Wingman won't reliably take off from carrier (Cold start version only - DCS issue)

I've passed this to Heatblur, but if you want to give it a try ahead of the next update, please download here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yX4E1qLafFZO1zrLiuvE2gJRXo4a1vmJ

You can extract the files to DCS Install location >> Mods\aircraft\F14\Missions\Campaigns\

Edited by kaba

Hi all

I've updated the campaign.

Key changes:

• Added - Two new missions
  • Added - You can now call in optional CAP to assist you on mission 3
  • Fixed - Delayed spawn issues (2.5.6 beta client)

Known issues:

• Wingman won't reliably take off from carrier (Cold start version only - DCS issue)

I've passed this to Heatblur, but if you want to give it a try ahead of the next update, please download here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yX4E1qLafFZO1zrLiuvE2gJRXo4a1vmJ

You can extract the files to DCS Install location >> Mods\aircraft\F14\Missions\Campaigns\

You're a Rockstar. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Added - Two new missions

Awesome!

1. Cargo - nice targets, fun to bomb.

2. Fighter sweep is crazy! Lots of fighters, SAM flying around, phew. When I got RTB message there were still more coming.

I've been doing the cold start version of the campaign, just did the TARPS flight mission, solo (thanks wingman) and had a great flight. I reloaded for mk60 Phoenix's and took off. Practiced a bit of formation flying with the TARPS Tomcat, then veered off towards WP1 when we hit feet dry. Got the weapons ready to go, told Jester to bring it, or he's walking home, and cruised till the bandits arrived. Shot down 5 enemy planes, 2 with a Phoenix, 1 with a Sidewinder, and 2 with guns. Both Sparrows missed their target, as did 2 Phoenix's and a Sidewinder. MiG-23 gave me a great fight when I was down to just guns, but the following MiG-25 was much easier to shoot. All that turnin' and burnin' left me low on fuel, so we made a comfortable landing at Kutaisi and called it a day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk