VKB Gunfighter Mk.II MCG PRO with Extender

ExGreyFox

Hello,

I was finally able to get a VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II MCG PRO on order which is the version with the extender.

Since I will be using the extender, I understand that this will require to use the heavier springs and/or cams, so that being said:

1. Does the base of the Gunfighter Pro extender version come with the appropriate heavier cams and/or springs already installed?

2. If it does not, what would be the best combination of cams and/or springs to use for the extender?

3. How easy and safe is it for me to change out springs and/or cams to accommodate for the extender?

Intel i7-8700k Coffee Lake@stock

G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti

Maximus X FORMULA Z370 BIOS 1401

NZXT Kraken x62

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB (OS)

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB (Games)

Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt

Cooler Master HAF X

HOTAS Warthog | VKB MCG Pro GunFighter Mk. II | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5

Heatware

You might find my little guide useful:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Gunfighter-MkII-Quick-Guide-1.pdf

(just remember there's no need to flash the firmware of a brand new Gunfighter - VKB already did that before shipping them)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thank you guys!

My only concern is that I do not want to assemble and disassemble the gunfighter multiples times to try different cams and springs and thus run the risk of damage. This is why I am looking for a somewhat generally accepted cams/springs combination for using the extender.

NZXT Kraken x62

Cooler Master HAF X

Heatware

Thank you guys!

My only concern is that I do not want to assemble and disassemble the gunfighter multiples times to try different cams and springs and thus run the risk of damage. This is why I am looking for a somewhat generally accepted cams/springs combination for using the extender.

Unfortunately you will have to do that especially with dry clutch setting, same with Virpil base you'll have to tune it to your liking as the default settings are quite soft on both brands (some people do like it this way). Don't worry it is easier than the Warthog as long as you have the right tools. If you don't then swapping springs or cams can be a bit of a pain.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

My only concern is that I do not want to assemble and disassemble the gunfighter multiples times. . . and thus run the risk of damage.

Like I said, it's perfectly safe. You're not likely to break anything unless you're trying to.

Furthermore, when I first got mine it only took three or four tries in order to get it the way I wanted it, and I think I got my time to change springs down to like two minutes or something.

I personally like the soft centers that came installed in it, but I think that's a matter of taste. As for spring weights, maybe start with a pair of 40# springs in either direction and go from there.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Roger that guys. Thank you for the input. My MCG is currently en-route.

NZXT Kraken x62

Cooler Master HAF X

Heatware

The only big gotcha that a few folks have missed in their haste is forgetting to disconnect wire that connects the gimbal to the output cable. There's been a handful of folks that accidentally pulled the wires from the connector. The step is in the instructions, so if you follow the instructions you won't miss it...

1. No

2. I started with 50 + 30. Then 50+40, and two days ago I went 50+50. In fact.. What I would like is a more linear cam I think. Because I find too light near center. I only use Cam 10 cause I don't want any detent.

3. It isn't really difficult. Make sure to disconnect the cable before removing the gimbal from the casing. I never pull on the cable, always use two small tool like a screwdriver + an Allen key to pull on each little plastic lip gently. Left right left right..

${1}

The stronger the spring(s) you'll use the harder you'll have to tight the cam bearing, otherwise the cam and the roller wont stay aligned on the whole range. The cam might even touch part of the casing. It was the case on mine before I re tightened it. Changing spring can be complicated.. At least for the 50 that I use. I advise you to wear protection glasses, and to use a tool adapted to the task. Here are two exemple. All other spring are really easy to change compared to the 50.

${1}

${1}

Edited by Ant0ine

1. No

2. Depends on preference alone, but most recommend not exceeding 90 pounds total in either direction.

3. It's perfectly safe, but it can be a real ball ache the first couple of times.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

According to VKB, the spring numbers are arbitrary labels, not pounds force.

One #40 =/= Two #20.

Thank you guys!

It's not THAT fragile inside. There's also no way to avoid it really, as others said you'll need to tinker and tune it to your preferences.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2