Touch Portal App

Folks,

DCS-COINS Version 3 is now available.

* 2022-10-06: VERSION 3 RELEASE 2210.03
     - Support for Slider controls with TP API version 4
     - Analog aircraft controls accessible via TP slider and/or action button (both operates independently - action does not update slider position)
     - Support for Mirage F1 (requires DCS-BIOS 0.7.46 or newer)
     - User friendly values for AH-64D, and minor PP file fixes
     - Packaged with DCS-BIOS 0.7.46, which includes support for Mirage F1
     - "Common Data" Action "Reset Aircraft States" option to reinitialize aircraft to intial default values
     - Execution in verbose mode ignores action requests to DCS-BIOS - avoid duplicate commands
     - NOTE: Certain parameters/values created with previous DCS-COINS versions may no longer be compatible with this version. You will need to delete and recreate them.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319022/

The following illustrates using button and slider to control the Hornet's Formation Light Dimmer.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by xoomigo

4 hours ago, xoomigo said:

DCS-COINS Version 3 is now available.

Hi, I wanted to check it out and my L-39 TP panel for COINS v2 did not work at all. When I started to check the buttons, it seems all the actions and events need to be changed:

image.png

I guess this is caused by DCS-BIOS and I'm fine with that (it's kinda a mix of boring and fun at the same time). But... it doesn't work even after change. I checked the verbose log and I see this:

$ ./DCS-COINS.exe -v
DCS-COINS Version 3 (2210.03): Verbose mode enabled.
2022-10-05T20:48:40.164Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - CommonData
2022-10-05T20:48:40.167Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - FC3
2022-10-05T20:48:40.172Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - L-39
2022-10-05T20:48:40.173Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - MetadataEnd
2022-10-05T20:48:40.174Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - MetadataStart
2022-10-05T20:48:40.176Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - P-51D
2022-10-05T20:48:40.186Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: UDP client listening on 0.0.0.0:5010
2022-10-05T20:48:40.188Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :INFO: Connected to TouchPortal
2022-10-05T20:48:40.190Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Info Message received
2022-10-05T20:48:40.197Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Unhandled type received shortConnectorIdNotification
Aircraft: []: Unavailable in installed DCS-COINS module list!
Aircraft: [L-39C]: Unavailable in installed DCS-COINS module list!

Is it a bug or do I do something wrong?

For the record, I deleted old Script/DCS-BIOS directory + removed the line for it in Export.lua to get the right version of DCS-BIOS.

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

4 hours ago, virgo47 said:

Hi, I wanted to check it out and my L-39 TP panel for COINS v2 did not work at all. When I started to check the buttons, it seems all the actions and events need to be changed:

image.png

I guess this is caused by DCS-BIOS and I'm fine with that (it's kinda a mix of boring and fun at the same time). But... it doesn't work even after change. I checked the verbose log and I see this:

$ ./DCS-COINS.exe -v
DCS-COINS Version 3 (2210.03): Verbose mode enabled.
2022-10-05T20:48:40.164Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - CommonData
2022-10-05T20:48:40.167Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - FC3
2022-10-05T20:48:40.172Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - L-39
2022-10-05T20:48:40.173Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - MetadataEnd
2022-10-05T20:48:40.174Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - MetadataStart
2022-10-05T20:48:40.176Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: parsed aircraft JSON - P-51D
2022-10-05T20:48:40.186Z [INFO]  dcs-bios-api: UDP client listening on 0.0.0.0:5010
2022-10-05T20:48:40.188Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :INFO: Connected to TouchPortal
2022-10-05T20:48:40.190Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Info Message received
2022-10-05T20:48:40.197Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Unhandled type received shortConnectorIdNotification

Is it a bug or do I do something wrong?

For the record, I deleted old Script/DCS-BIOS directory + removed the line for it in Export.lua to get the right version of DCS-BIOS.

@virgo47, it could due be my mapping of the aircraft alias names for the L-39. I will take a look when I get back after work.

I suspected I have some old DCS-BIOS installation I used for DCS OpenBeta (not my main installation), I uninstalled that as well just to be sure - that was installed as a Windows application. But that wasn't an issue. I tried the complete COINS install again with clean Script directory and only L-39 module (no FC3 and P-51D) and the log is just a bit different:

2022-10-06T06:32:13.372Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Unhandled type received shortConnectorIdNotification
Aircraft: [NO]: Unavailable in installed DCS-COINS module list!
Aircraft: [L-NE]: Unavailable in installed DCS-COINS module list!
2022-10-06T06:33:57.903Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Action Message received

Not sure what NO and L-NE means, but perhaps you know. 😉 I noticed that in entry.tp file the prefix was L-39ZA in COINS v2 and is L-39 only now - this matches the change shown in the picture above. L-39ZA was used for both L-39C and L-39ZA and worked for both planes.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

5 hours ago, virgo47 said:

I suspected I have some old DCS-BIOS installation I used for DCS OpenBeta (not my main installation), I uninstalled that as well just to be sure - that was installed as a Windows application. But that wasn't an issue. I tried the complete COINS install again with clean Script directory and only L-39 module (no FC3 and P-51D) and the log is just a bit different:

2022-10-06T06:32:13.372Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Unhandled type received shortConnectorIdNotification
Aircraft: [NO]: Unavailable in installed DCS-COINS module list!
Aircraft: [L-NE]: Unavailable in installed DCS-COINS module list!
2022-10-06T06:33:57.903Z : Munt.G_DCS-COINS :DEBUG: Action Message received

Not sure what NO and L-NE means, but perhaps you know. 😉 I noticed that in entry.tp file the prefix was L-39ZA in COINS v2 and is L-39 only now - this matches the change shown in the picture above. L-39ZA was used for both L-39C and L-39ZA and worked for both planes.

I have just uploaded a patch for the aircraft alias file. Can you download and try again?

2 hours ago, xoomigo said:

I have just uploaded a patch for the aircraft alias file. Can you download and try again?

Thanks for the update, no complaints about the plane! Now my single new button I tested (with L39 prefix) works, so it seems promising. 🙂 Does it mean that for version 3 I need to redo the actions and events? Is it intentional or is there a chance the prefix in TP actions/events will be L39ZA again? It's OK either way, I just want to be sure before I jump into the overhaul of the panel.

Also, the slider for knobs (e.g. light intensity) is welcome addition - works like a charm (one way only, but that is TP limitation as I understand it) - great work!

23 hours ago, virgo47 said:

Thanks for the update, no complaints about the plane! Now my single new button I tested (with L39 prefix) works, so it seems promising. 🙂 Does it mean that for version 3 I need to redo the actions and events? Is it intentional or is there a chance the prefix in TP actions/events will be L39ZA again? It's OK either way, I just want to be sure before I jump into the overhaul of the panel.

Unfortunately, yes. The current DCS-COINS design is based on DCS-BIOS-defined Lua file names - and the names are also used to derive TP prefixes.

It's the prerogative of DCS-BIOS developers to decide on how on to name the files and also to rename existing files (as discovered a few days ago).

With this recent revelation, I will need to find a way to mitigate the issue to prevent future DCS-COINS/DCS-BIOS releases from potentially rendering previous DCS-COINS-enabled pages inoperable - as you have encountered.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:17 AM, Kyle_Katarn said:

Yes mate, I have the pp file like you and this command ([UHF_PRESET_SET 3]) increase the current preset value in 3 if you're in the channel 1 the selector spin until it reach the channel 4 and I couldn't make the move the selector backward because the command always increase the current channel.

But the UHF preset selector is the worst to try this. I can't make it pass the channel 2.

However both VHF preset selectors behave as I noted before so I have changed the |1|0| by |3|0| so the command cand send [VHF_PRESET_SET +1] or [VHF_PRESET_SET -1] always doing the steps one by one and "in theory" allowing to move the preset backwards but this part either not works.

Another thing that didn't work very well is to include the current preset channel selector as text in one button.

I have try the Dynamic Text Updater, or to store the channel in a TP value as any kind of data allowed and then use this value as source for the text of the button but always get a fixed number that don't change no matter I do.

I don't think you can simply change any control type "0" to "3" and it will work to switch values in increment or decrement manner. It depends on how DCS-BIOS is programmed to respond to the commands for the controls concerned.

If it's not getting you anywhere, I can only advise you to switch to DCS-COINS 3 which works off the latest version of DCS-BIOS - which hopefully, fixes the controls concerned (assuming if they were buggy).

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, xoomigo said:

Unfortunately, yes. The current DCS-COINS design is based on DCS-BIOS-defined Lua file names - and the names are also used to derive TP prefixes.

It's the prerogative of DCS-BIOS developers to decide on how on to name the files and also to rename existing files (as discovered a few days ago).

No problem, thanks for the info. I tried search & replace and most of the stuff works fine (I just had to be careful about genuine use of L39ZA).

One more question though - I had a auto-updated info from common data and this stopped working. I un-commented the lines in CommonsData.pp, recreated the TP plugin file and it started working - but in a strange way. This is the button:

image.png

But instead of proper numbers it shows 0 deg (always), 0% km/h (yes, with %) and 4% ft. Do you know what went wrong with that? Speed can be fixed by using TEXT and not numbers (not sure though why numbers contain that %). But altitude and heading have no alternatives... Ouch, I've just got a suspicion - you translate all the numbers to % now? Can you make it switchable somehow? Not everything is %. 🙂

1 hour ago, virgo47 said:

But instead of proper numbers it shows 0 deg (always), 0% km/h (yes, with %) and 4% ft. Do you know what went wrong with that? Speed can be fixed by using TEXT and not numbers (not sure though why numbers contain that %). But altitude and heading have no alternatives... Ouch, I've just got a suspicion - you translate all the numbers to % now? Can you make it switchable somehow? Not everything is %. 🙂

Your suspicion is correct.😬  I will have to limit what can be defined as connector/sliders. Will make the adjustments and release the patch as soon as I can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xoomigo said:

I don't think you can simply change any control type "0" to "3" and it will work to switch values in increment or decrement manner. It depends on how DCS-BIOS is programmed to respond to the commands for the controls concerned.

If it's not getting you anywhere, I can only advise you to switch to DCS-COINS 3 which works off the latest version of DCS-BIOS - which hopefully, fixes the controls concerned (assuming if they were buggy).

I'm now in DCS-COINS 3 and it's working in the same way.

I have attached my slightly tunned files so you can check it.

A-10C.pp aircraftEnums.dat

1 hour ago, xoomigo said:

Your suspicion is correct.😬  I will have to limit what can be defined as connector/sliders. Will make the adjustments and release the patch as soon as I can.

BTW: It would be great if COINS could do some transformations - now you do this % thing - but what about some simple math? E.g. for East bloc planes (like L-39) the altitude is typically in meters - but in commons there are only feet. I there was an option to divide that number by some float constant and cast it back to integer it would open some nice possibilities. This could be all in PP files, so it would be on top of DCS-BIOS and before it gets to TP which (AFAIK) can't do math in those text updaters.

Another question that is on my mind... do you have a repository with that project, e.g. GitHub or so? I'd not be afraid about forks, while you maintain it, you're the boss - that's how it typically is with solid projects. But it would be a shame to lost this all if anything happens. I don't mean a plane crash necessarily, sometimes people just get bored. Also pull-requests would be a possibility (if allowed), people can test before releases, etc. In any case, it would be kind of a backup for you and us as well, if you don't mind.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:22 PM, xoomigo said:

I have already completed and uploaded a patch. Will take a break now. And need to focus on my other priorities. 😐

No complaints at this moment - good job, it works great. I like the solution in the PP files, seems flexible into the future as well. Thank you. 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 1:00 AM, Kyle_Katarn said:

I'm now in DCS-COINS 3 and it's working in the same way.

I have attached my slightly tunned files so you can check it.

The "UHF_PRESET_SEL" and "VHFAM_PRESET" (I assume this was the you were comparing against the former) do not appear to be set up to work in similar manner - based on my "noob" interpretation from the A-10C.lua file.

defineTumb("UHF_PRESET_SEL", 54, 3001, 161, 0.05, {0, 1}, {" 1", " 2", " 3", " 4", " 5", " 6", " 7", " 8", " 9", "10", "11", "12", "13", "14", "15", "16", "17", "18", "19", "20"}, false, "UHF Radio", "UHF Preset Channel Selector")

defineRadioWheel("VHFAM_PRESET", 55, 3001, 3001, {-0.01, 0.01}, 137, 0.01, {0, 0.20}, {" 1", " 2", " 3", " 4", " 5", " 6", " 7", " 8", " 9", "10", "11", "12", "13", "14", "15", "16", "17", "18", "19", "20"}, "VHF AM Radio", "Preset Channel Selector")

From Util.lua, it seems like "defineRadioWheel" is a superset of "defineTumb".

The latter has this:

inputs = {
            { interface = "fixed_step", description = "switch to previous or next state" },
            { interface = "set_state", max_value = max_value, description = "set position" },
        }

The former has the additional:

if state == "INC" then
            GetDevice(device_id):performClickableAction(command2, command_args[2])
        end
        if state == "DEC" then
            GetDevice(device_id):performClickableAction(command1, command_args[1])
        end

DCS-COINS "mined" DCS-BIOS json files accordingly to determine the "tpActionType" field value (4th field in the PP file). And this corresponds "1" for "set_state" and "2" for "fixed_step". "3" is for "variable_step".

Excerpts from the A-10C.json:

"UHF_PRESET_SEL": {
    "category": "UHF Radio",
    "control_type": "selector",
    "description": "UHF Preset Channel Selector",
    "identifier": "UHF_PRESET_SEL",
    "inputs": [ {
        "description": "switch to previous or next state",
        "interface": "fixed_step"
        }, {
        "description": "set position",
        "interface": "set_state",
        "max_value": 20
    } ],

"VHFAM_PRESET": {
    "category": "VHF AM Radio",
    "control_type": "discrete_dial",
    "description": "Preset Channel Selector",
    "identifier": "VHFAM_PRESET",
    } ],

Therefore per the above, I can conclude that "UHF_PRESET_SEL" will not work properly with tpActionType "3". But on the other hand, I have no explanation why it worked for "VHFAM_PRESET" as you said.

Other than directly debugging/fixing DCS-BIOS code for A-10C here (which is outside my expertise currently), I can only suggest you try changing the PP file for "UHF_PRESET_SEL" to tpActionType "2".

UHF_PRESET_SEL|uhf_preset_sel|UHF Preset Channel Selector|2|0|UHFVHFAmFmPreset|1

On 10/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, Kyle_Katarn said:

@xoomigo How is mean to be used the new "Reset Aircraft States" action and what is the function of this action?

Because I have included in one button of my A-10C page and I don't see any change when the connection is On 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Yes, I see what you mean.

When I tested it, I saw all the associated arrays and variables reinitialized when the action was called - and I thought it gave the same impact as restarting the plugin. Apparently, not so. 😒

Will need to test further.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:33 AM, xoomigo said:

The "UHF_PRESET_SEL" and "VHFAM_PRESET" (I assume this was the you were comparing against the former) do not appear to be set up to work in similar manner - based on my "noob" interpretation from the A-10C.lua file.

defineTumb("UHF_PRESET_SEL", 54, 3001, 161, 0.05, {0, 1}, {" 1", " 2", " 3", " 4", " 5", " 6", " 7", " 8", " 9", "10", "11", "12", "13", "14", "15", "16", "17", "18", "19", "20"}, false, "UHF Radio", "UHF Preset Channel Selector")

defineRadioWheel("VHFAM_PRESET", 55, 3001, 3001, {-0.01, 0.01}, 137, 0.01, {0, 0.20}, {" 1", " 2", " 3", " 4", " 5", " 6", " 7", " 8", " 9", "10", "11", "12", "13", "14", "15", "16", "17", "18", "19", "20"}, "VHF AM Radio", "Preset Channel Selector")

From Util.lua, it seems like "defineRadioWheel" is a superset of "defineTumb".

The latter has this:

inputs = {
            { interface = "fixed_step", description = "switch to previous or next state" },
            { interface = "set_state", max_value = max_value, description = "set position" },
        }

The former has the additional:

if state == "INC" then
            GetDevice(device_id):performClickableAction(command2, command_args[2])
        end
        if state == "DEC" then
            GetDevice(device_id):performClickableAction(command1, command_args[1])
        end

DCS-COINS "mined" DCS-BIOS json files accordingly to determine the "tpActionType" field value (4th field in the PP file). And this corresponds "1" for "set_state" and "2" for "fixed_step". "3" is for "variable_step".

Excerpts from the A-10C.json:

"UHF_PRESET_SEL": {
    "category": "UHF Radio",
    "control_type": "selector",
    "description": "UHF Preset Channel Selector",
    "identifier": "UHF_PRESET_SEL",
        }, {
        "description": "set position",
        "interface": "set_state",
        "max_value": 20
    } ],

"VHFAM_PRESET": {
    "category": "VHF AM Radio",
    "control_type": "discrete_dial",
    "description": "Preset Channel Selector",
    "identifier": "VHFAM_PRESET",
    } ],

Therefore per the above, I can conclude that "UHF_PRESET_SEL" will not work properly with tpActionType "3". But on the other hand, I have no explanation why it worked for "VHFAM_PRESET" as you said.

Other than directly debugging/fixing DCS-BIOS code for A-10C here (which is outside my expertise currently), I can only suggest you try changing the PP file for "UHF_PRESET_SEL" to tpActionType "2".

UHF_PRESET_SEL|uhf_preset_sel|UHF Preset Channel Selector|2|0|UHFVHFAmFmPreset|1

Yes, I see what you mean.

When I tested it, I saw all the associated arrays and variables reinitialized when the action was called - and I thought it gave the same impact as restarting the plugin. Apparently, not so. 😒

Will need to test further.

Thank you very much for review this subject buddy and for the clear explanation.

I'll try the UHF configurartion.

On 10/8/2022 at 1:37 AM, virgo47 said:

Another question that is on my mind... do you have a repository with that project, e.g. GitHub or so? I'd not be afraid about forks, while you maintain it, you're the boss - that's how it typically is with solid projects. But it would be a shame to lost this all if anything happens. I don't mean a plane crash necessarily, sometimes people just get bored. Also pull-requests would be a possibility (if allowed), people can test before releases, etc. In any case, it would be kind of a backup for you and us as well, if you don't mind.

Yes, I am well aware that I will not be around forever. 😇

When I first offered this plugin to the community almost exactly a year back, I have no idea how it was going to be received.

Firstly, other than local PC backups, I have a private server to host my codes but I will be moving it to GitHub soon - as a private repository for now as I have yet to decide on the long term direction of DCS-COINS.

Will look to implement a mechanism to convert the source code in GitHub for public release if there is no update for 12 consecutive months to ensure possible continuity by other developers.

On 10/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, Kyle_Katarn said:

@xoomigo How is mean to be used the new "Reset Aircraft States" action and what is the function of this action?

Because I have included in one button of my A-10C page and I don't see any change when the connection is On 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The next release within a day or two will have the fix along with some execution enhancements. Currently, still testing some adjustments to the PP files.

Edited by xoomigo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/17/2022 at 7:00 AM, xoomigo said:

Yes, I am well aware that I will not be around forever. 😇

When I first offered this plugin to the community almost exactly a year back, I have no idea how it was going to be received.

Firstly, other than local PC backups, I have a private server to host my codes but I will be moving it to GitHub soon - as a private repository for now as I have yet to decide on the long term direction of DCS-COINS.

Will look to implement a mechanism to convert the source code in GitHub for public release if there is no update for 12 consecutive months to ensure possible continuity by other developers.

The next release within a day or two will have the fix along with some execution enhancements. Currently, still testing some adjustments to the PP files.

Fantastic work on this! Can wholeheartedly recommend to open-source it and put a copy of GitHub (unless you got bigger plans, of course). In fact, over the last week I've been busy making (humble, but nonetheless) contributions to the MOOSE project - I would not have been able to do so without being able to use all the normal coding tools and PR processes.

Many thanks for your continued efforts on this! And exciting to hear that further work is ongoing! 🙂

• Like 1

DCS-COINS release 2022-10-23 is now available:

• Fixed issue with"Reset Aircraft States" not working as expected
  • Streamlined plugin execution in verbose and non-verbose mode
  • PP movement values enhanced to percentage format
  • PP adjustments F-16C, F/A-18C, Mosquito and UH-1H - mostly on cold start defaults

• Like 2

17 hours ago, xoomigo said:

DCS-COINS release 2022-10-23 is now available:

• Fixed issue with"Reset Aircraft States" not working as expected
  • Streamlined plugin execution in verbose and non-verbose mode
  • PP movement values enhanced to percentage format
  • PP adjustments F-16C, F/A-18C, Mosquito and UH-1H - mostly on cold start defaults

How it's working the "Reset Aircraft States"?
I have a button with this action but when I push it the buttons on the current page didn't syncronize with the airplane status.

Also I have linked the event of connection to airplane is ON to dispatch the action but never get the airplane data synched

image.png

Edited by Kyle_Katarn

3 hours ago, Kyle_Katarn said:

How it's working the "Reset Aircraft States"?
I have a button with this action but when I push it the buttons on the current page didn't syncronize with the airplane status.

Also I have linked the event of connection to airplane is ON to dispatch the action but never get the airplane data synched

No, that's not how it's meant to work.

The reset action is merely to put the all the current aircraft states back to the defaults as defined in the aircraft PP file concerned. As far as I understand, it's not possible to force (actively poll) DCS-BIOS to send all event updates to the plugin. The plugin can only passively 'listen' for events - it cannot 'ask' for update to any state.

Hence, it is only useful in situation where you restart the same mission from a cold start.

• Thanks 1