Legends\placards, whatever you call them...

Extranajero

White on black text basically. What are the best ways to produce it ?

What do people use ?

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Not sure what you are talking about?!

Preparing/printing the layout for a simpit console?

I7-7700k 4,2 / 32 GB RAM / Geforce 2080 TI / 2x M2 500GB SSD / 1 TB SSD / Pimax 5k / WinWing Stick and Throttle

Server: [Wolfpack] Germany 93.186.198.98 Port 10308

IG Callsign: Fenris

Not sure what you are talking about?!

Preparing/printing the layout for a simpit console?

Yes, that's right - for switch panels.

I was hoping that laser engraving wasn't going to be the answer ;)

Black text on white means printer and clear overcoat. Simple and low cost.

Do you have any CnC you can use?

I engrave 3mm MDF with excellent results (after much trial and error!). I just prefer to work with his rather than plastic.

The only downsides with MDF panels is that they can't easily be back lit, and for CNC work it can be difficult to keep the surface flat when engraving with the cheaper home machines. Nonetheless I agree that you can make some great looking panels with it.

For backlit stuff, the proper two colour laminate is obviously the best choice, assuming you can get it; I can't, so have had to improvise, using two methods.

The first is opal acrylic, which is spray painted with good old fashioned cellulose black car paint, which is then engraved. The second way is to buy the same opal acrylic, and some tranparent self adhesive film for use with inkjet or laser printers. Print the fascia on the film, then apply it to the acrylic. The advantage of this way is that you can include colours and markers.

Remember to paint the edges black though, so that the light doesn't show

Hope this helps

Cheers

Les

I've got a Sieg X2 mill but the idea of converting it to CNC doesn't appeal to me. I know myself too well - I'll probably go off on a tangent and end up with a half finished 10 axis tabletop machining centre :D

I'll see if I can find some local engraving\CNC services that do hobby type work.

I was hoping someone would have a tip for getting the process done with a home printer - but realistically that was never going to work for white on black.

Thanks anyway guys :)

My method, does not use laser engraving:

1/16” (1.5mm) aluminum (switches mounted on this)

+

1/16” (1.5mm) black acrylic/plexiglass (creates a space for switch retaining nuts and LED wires; also extends to the full aluminum sheet size so mounting screws are recessed below engraved layer)

+

1/4” (6mm) clear acrylic/plexiglass painted with 3 layers ‘brushed on’ flat black acrylic, with lettering and lines manually engraved with a dremel + 2mm round bit. Dremel is mounted in a press. The corners are cut off 9/16” (not shown in the pics) to allow the mounting screws a recess.

As a guide for engraving, I print a sheet of the labels I need, with 1/2” (12.5mm) space between words, to allow a border for the rubber cement to hold it on place. The dremel bit pretty well mangles the paper label. I do one label at a time, so I can remove and wash off the cement...rubber cement takes a long time to set, and it can be easily rubbed off.

(1/16” + 1/4” = 5/16”, which will fit the switch column flush with the face of the panel)

It’s definitely not comparable to laser engraving, but then I’m willing to trade finesse for the $400-$500 for an engraver I’ll only use for cockpit panels.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193109&stc=1&d=1535772008

DBD4AAF3-BA17-4015-8EC0-A9284E9BCD46.thumb.jpeg.7e2aaf236facfabd9ee3b54e328c36c9.jpeg

Edited by VZ_342

Extranajero, I bought a cheap (130 Euro) CNC router on Amazon, it works fine for engraving, and in fact I use it for CNC machining on MDF and plastic

Look for 'Upgrade Version (Easy to Install) CNC 3018 Pro'

Cheers

Les

I don't usually like or trust Chinese machines ( despite owning a Sieg X2 ) but one of those is pretty tempting. I think I could make it pay for itself before it fell to pieces :D

Yes, that's right - for switch panels.

I was hoping that laser engraving wasn't going to be the answer ;)

Well, If you don't want Illumination, there's always screen printing. I've used it to make white on clear decals and to direct print on panels. You'll want to use 200-300 mesh screen. Maybe $100 bucks all in for the full setup with screen in frame, emulsion, ink, transparent printer sheets, and squeegee.

Sorry another racing panel, but at least this one goes in an actual Real Racecar™, well a Lemons car anyways. This was with a 110 mesh which I'm not using anymore except for T-shirts.

it3KC1V.jpg

Edited by RustBelt