Is DCS World\_downloads\.torrents folder required?

The DCS World\_downloads\.torrents folder takes up more than 7 GB on my SSD. As a result, I don't have enough space (60 Gb) to install the Persian Gulf map, which I plan to purchase. Is this folder only used for storing donloaded updates and I can delete it's contents safely, or it is needed for DCSW to run properly?

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

You can delete the files. It is only used when downloading updates. Once the update is complete it should delete everything in there, but typically something is left behind.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

You can also delete backup folders that build up after updates. I get about 7 backup folders before I go, “Maybe I should delete these”

Also go to Run, and type in “Temp” (without quotes), ENTER, and delete everything in that folder. Do the same thing with a folder caller “%Temp%” (without quotes) and delete all that useless nonsense.

It's also a good idea to do a defrag on your drive. Open Windows and search for “Disk defrag” and it will pop up. Go through that, and put a check in all the boxes (recommend, but look at what you're checking first), click OK (or whatever is there) and wait.

This could free up 20-50 gigs (depending on if you've done this before or how long you've had your computer etc). On my system, it freed up about 30, plus I had a crapload of screenshots from DCS that were useless, so I delete those as well, and it totalled to about 50. The disk defrag can't do everything. Sift through folders, pics, files etc on your desktop and other nooks and crannies and recycle those, then empty the recycle bin.

It's spring (summer) cleaning!

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

... Open Windows and search for “Disk defrag” and it will pop up. Go through that, and put a check in all the boxes (recommend, but look at what you're checking first), click OK (or whatever is there) and wait...

Probably not the best idea to defrag an SSD though :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Probably not the best idea to defrag an SSD though :smilewink:
Doesnt hurt it at all, at least an 860 Evo

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

It sure hurts you killing SSD faster.

Odesláno z mého Mi A1 pomocí Tapatalk

I mean not defrag, type in “Disk Cleanup” and use that. Not defrag sorry
Edited by Magic Zach

It hasn't broken after I defragged it. It really doesn't do anything except clear away junk files.
SSDs have a limited number of writes per sector, and when you defrag the sectors, they moving so they wear out.

Odesláno z mého Mi A1 pomocí Tapatalk

Edited by Bobik2002

Ryzen 9 5900x | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | 32GB RAM 

It's pointless defragmenting a SSD.

Mechanical drives would start to store big files in multiple pieces across the physical platter once it began to fill up and files deleted etc (fragments).

Because a physical arm had to move to read files on a spinning disk, having 1 large file in 500 parts really slowed them down.

On an SSD, there are no moving parts and so fragments make no difference. The user posting about limited Reads/Writes is correct, and while most people won't reach the cap, running drives at near capacity will wear them down quicker and defragmenting them is using more writes still.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

I made a mistake, it's not “Disk defrag”, it's “Disk cleanup” my bad. I edited my comment, but I forgot to refresh my page to see the two replies Disk cleanup, not defrag