[RESOLVED]Extreme turbulence from bouncing carrier bug makes entire airbase unusable

Py

The bug of bouncing carrier-based planes in multiplayer is back, and combined with wake turbulence it becomes a much greater problem.

When a plane spawns on a carrier and then lands at an airbase, it appears fine to the player flying the plane, but to all other players in a multiplayer server it appears to be bouncing up and down at high speeds.

This is in open beta 2.5.5.33552, but the bug was also present in the previous version.

The bouncing bug originally appeared several months ago and was eventually fixed, but returned a couple of weeks ago.

Before it was a minor annoyance, but with the recent addition of wake turbulence, the bouncing planes now cause extreme turbulence in their vicinity.

And not just near the plane, the area of effect is at least 500 feet in all directions!

A single bouncing plane in the parking area renders the entire airbase unusable to all other planes.

The turbulence is strong enough to flip stationary planes, and throws planes approaching for landing around in all directions hard enough to make landing impossible.

I have a multiplayer track, but it is very long so here is a short video of the effects.

Here an F-14 which started on a carrier is stationary on the taxiway near one end of the runway. You can see it bouncing up and down to the right. The player aircraft is blown around violently from several hundred feet away.

Please fix this bug quickly as it really messes up multiplayer when there are carrier-based planes.

We are seeing this exact behaviour. We had two land based Hornets get bounced around and destroyed when a single carrier launched Hornet flew into the area. We were recovered on the ground parked, and both land based aircraft were destroyed by extreme turbulence. The carrier launched Hornet was bouncing up 1000’ and back down onto the runway.

yeah it NEEDS to be fixed baddly.. it's closing airfields etc. Nothing like being slammed into the ground or ripped apart because you have a 1,000ft high wake..

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

• 2 weeks later...

My flight-sim group is also encountering this issue pretty much every time we fly from a carrier. There have also been instances of aircraft (F/A-18s primarily) spontaneously exploding when stationary or taxiing slowly after landing at an airbase, with no other aircraft in the vicinity - I don't know if that might be another artefact of the same issue.

- Good work with the video demonstrating the effect, BTW!

Edited by Loophole

Ok so this is a very serious bug. I can see how it would completely ruin your day, like a squadron getting halfway through a long mission and then having this ruing the operation. I’m not saying this should be taken lightly at all.

But, OMG I was snort laughing and had tears running down my face watching that video. Especially when the sonic booms started from the external view.

Sorry, again, this is a major problem.

• ED Team

Hi all

this is reported, I dont have a timeline for a fix currently.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Any update?

I made ace in a day after landing my carrier launched aircraft at Al Minhad. I took out 5 aircraft going through their startup checks, them in the revetments, me still rolling out on the runway. I was not popular with the group on multiplayer yesterday.....

I'm gonna add some details to this that haven't yet been mentioned that may help to pinpoint this bug.

1) the bouncing bug came about with the F18 mod and that whole time period... It is as pointed out, when a carrier type aircraft visits a ship, and returns to land base.

2) At the same time as this bug came about - the russian SU33 plane that can land on stennis blew up when taxi over the yellowbox / elevator sections.

(above bugs 1+2 were eventually fixed - but are now back).

3) the "random explosions" some posts are reporting, are not really random. When you have 1 plane doing sonic boom speed jumps into the air, and another aircraft flies nearby, 1 or 2 things tend to happen:

a) the plane passing over (20ft or 1000ft+) gets hit by bouncing plane - and wonders wtf, along with the bouncing plane (note: if ur the plane bouncing, to you, all is well).

b) server with taketurb and/or F14 gets influenced by wake of bouncing plane (including in the air bounces) and so to the pilot, his plane just randomly broke up for no reason/nose dived.

Also - sometimes the bounces (not always - so guessing a/c specific) appear to have a bomb/splash type effect - so even if you are aware of the bouncing plane and park several yards off, you can blow up (as if your PC sees an incoming jet at mach5 into the ground and just assumes it blew up and thus you too).

Whatever this whole bug is about, the carriers have always been an issue in DCS, the above, the sticking to the deck, the sliding at 20kts, the falling through elevators etc - It's as if there is no known way (coding wise) to get an aircraft be able to land and move around on a secondary, larger moving object (ie the ship) without performing some sort of "quick n dirty code cheating" and this is causing all the bugs to manifest.

I hope ED can fix this bug, as its ruining a lot of MP games where a carrier is in use, and hopefully they have it entirely resolved by Nimitz release.

Meanwhile if there are any workarounds (speed under 20kts, or static etc) that can partly offer a fix - please implement a partial.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Just to add to this, did some testing with friends today.

It's not just carrier spawned Hornets. I spawned in at Gudauta, landed on the Stennis, then landed at Sukhumi and the issue was there too.

Just to see if we had to "sync" to the last airfield, I took off again did a lap and landed once more at Sukhumi, the issue still existed. (Test A)

We are looking to test other A/C and see if it exists there too (Test B).

Looks like landing on "objects" is safe, while the ground itself is not.

Overall, inconsistent: going "object"(building) -> "ground" (grass or airfield tarmac) one time was OK, the other not.

Hopefully some of this information is of use.

Test 'A' Results:

-Hornet From Gudauta to Stennis

-Hornet Lands at Sukhumi (Problem)

-Hornet does a lap, lands again (Problem)

-Hornet Lands on Ground/Roadway (Problem)

-Hornet Lands at Sukhumi (Problem)

-Hornet Belly Lands at Sukhumi (Problem)

Test 'B' Results:

-Harrier from FARP goes to Tarawa

-Harrier Conventional Lands at Gudauta (Problem)

-Harrier continues mission

-Harrier VTOL lands on warehouse at Sukhumi (OK)

-Harrier hovers to ramp nearby (OK)

-Harrier Conventional lands at Sukhumi (OK)

-Harrier goes to Tarawa

-Harrier VTOL lands on Ramp (Problem)

-Harrier hovers to adjacent Warehouse (OK)

-Harrier hovers back to Ramp (Problem)

-Harrier continues mission

-Harrier VTOL lands on ground (Problem)

-Harrier hovers over to adjacent FARP (OK)

-Harrier Taxiis to ground, damaged, repairs

-Harrier hovers to ground (OK)

Edited by Tiburtius
Added additional test data.

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team
Any info on progress for this bug fix?

I have just checked the status of the report and I am sorry we do not have anything to share about it at the moment it is proving to be a difficult bug.

It has a high priority and as soon as we have more info we will share it with you all.

Thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I have just been told we have made some progress and we hope to see some improvement in the next open beta patch.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team
Where can i find this report? could you provide a link?

Hi

No sorry our report system is not for public use or review.

This particular issue has been resolved now.

If you are still seeing issues please attach a track replay.

thanks.