F-15C avionics wishlist

I think the problem is that no one really know exactly how LPI works and why (we can speculate and have some understanding of the matter, but how are we to know if the russian RWR's weren't upgraded to cope with it within a week? It's theoretically not that big of an issue)

And yes, it's supposed to be dots and bars using 'traditional' IFF, so we should have an IFF HUD cue. Wether we get it or not I don't know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

LPI is neither passive, nor 'undetectable'. Furthermore, it's 'old LPI' and expected not to be 'LPI' at all this point. The Raptor's 'new LPI' has already been defeated on paper and the only thing required to complete this is an actual implementation. LPI is simply a method utilizing a reduction of transmission power and scan frequency in hopes that the enemy RWR will not be tripped (because of issues with how the system functions)

Actually, from what I've read, the point of LPI isn't entirely on avoiding detection by RWR. On the F/A-22 at least, one of the basics of LPI is that as range decreases, so does the output of its APG-77 radar, thus even if the signal was detected, the RWR would only be able to tell the rough bearing of the Raptor, and not be able to determine anything else like radar intensity or whether an AIM-120 is on its way. Plus, like the phased array radars on the Patriot and S300, its AESA radar is also able to send out tiny needles of radar energy directly at the target, instead of flooding the sky with radar waves (like traditional radars).

Moreover, the F/A-22 can also share radar tracks to other F/A-22s, which is also another LPI technique. Contemporary radars need several (I guess) "tracks" of the target in order to filter out false positives and determine (plus tracking) if the target is really there. A flight of F/A-22s would be able to do this with a minimum level of radar emission almost instantaneously, because radar information can be shared between them via its datalink.

In the F-15C, however, I think the LPI functions of the radar is basically tied to the TWS mode of the AN/APG-70/63v1, where the bandit would not be able to tell whether an AIM-120 has been launched at it or not.

sigzk5.jpg

I would still like to see ground map navigation. And should be real hard to implement I would think, considering the code is already in place for the russian planes.

Agreed ... navigation is a right pain in the F-15. The other day I was accused of vulching for the first time ... problem was I had no idea where I was! Totally lost! Makes landing at alternate nearer airfields nearly impossible unless you stumble upon them. I noticed a moving map in the 1.2 shots ... so the code is being developed.

Did the early 15s have a moving map display?

My source, which admittedly I couldn't verify, was someone who was doing armament for the F-15C. He said that the MPCD had a numebr of pages in the double digits. Sounds like it can do a lot more than PACS+BIT.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team

MPCD = PACS + BIT + SIT display format (even if JTIDS terminal is not present) + DTM interface + WPN (video from TV-guided AG weapons).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team
Olgerd, so is SIT some sort of nav display? Will it ever get into a LO Eagle or will we need to wait for the 'follow on product"?

Yes it is some sort of nav display.

To make fully functional MPCD (as well as to introduce the full AN/APG-70 or AN/APG-63(V)2 functionality and symbology etc...) will take 'some' time. So it can be done only in one of follow on products with the new 3D+clickable cockpit technology. I think it will be a wrong decision to make something significant with old cockpit having much more advanced technology for cockpits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oleg, any chance we might see it in 1.2?

From reading the RUssian forums it looks like you may be developing the Su-27 datalink some more, it would be a shame to leave the Eagle's avionics behind at the same time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While I can understand you not wanting to invest too much dev time in older cockpit code ... more accurately modelled nav system in the F-15 would be great. Do you have any MFD shots of the SIT display? Could a partial/simplified (but basically accurate) nav display be implemented?

Of course, if it was a toss-up between better nav and better missile FM (or a number of other features higher up my wish list) ... I guess I would go with the latter!

As GGT said, to keep it competitive the 15s avionics do need to keep up!

• ED Team
While I can understand you not wanting to invest too much dev time in older cockpit code ... more accurately modelled nav system in the F-15 would be great. Do you have any MFD shots of the SIT display? Could a partial/simplified (but basically accurate) nav display be implemented?

Of course, if it was a toss-up between better nav and better missile FM (or a number of other features higher up my wish list) ... I guess I would go with the latter!

As GGT said, to keep it competitive the 15s avionics do need to keep up!

We have an information to make it.

I can not promise now that we will introduce some new functionality in old cockpits. The problem is that we will have to remake it completely after the transition of the cockpit to the new technology. Nothing of the old cockpit code could be used in the new cockpit. We have no time for this. May be something will change in the future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Oleg, any chance we might see it in 1.2?

From reading the RUssian forums it looks like you may be developing the Su-27 datalink some more, it would be a shame to leave the Eagle's avionics behind at the same time.

Now we do not anything yet with Su-27 datalink (exept of some minor changes as AWACS presence on HDD). The tactical datalink functionaly should be implemented for both aircrafts simultaneously. I hope we will be able to do it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We have an information to make it.

I can not promise now that we will introduce some new functionality in old cockpits. The problem is that we will have to remake it completely after the transition of the cockpit to the new technology. Nothing of the old cockpit code could be used in the new cockpit. We have no time for this. May be something will change in the future.

Well, here's to the follow on ... thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, what we see here on the sperry MPCD is of course what made the F-15C avionics-wise a superior aircraft. This kind of symbology is now also present on the latest F-16's, on Typhoon and Rafale/ Mirage 2000-5.

I don't know exactly what standard we are flying in Lomac, but certainly not what made the F-15 a world-beater.

With all ED's talk about realism, honestly, what resembles most today's avionics in all this is probably the easy radar :=)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F-15 in lomac now is a mish mash of different systems from different ''standards'' all rolled into on airframe. The radar we are using is not even the latest version which is the APG-63V1, not including the 18 Alaska based Eagles with the APG-63V2 AESA. In lomac we have what is, a combination of the APG-63V0, -63PSP, -70 radar.

The sperry MPCD was first fitted on to F-15C/Ds coming of the production line from 1984 and all older models have been retrofitted. It may well be modeled in the future as ED said they have more info on the F-15 now and have the time. They said they would love to model it again. Just not now.