Pilot mask

royphsle

Hi, anyone who knows, or has the same question, why the F-18 pilot use a mask with center tubing and not on the left side like the F-5 pilot? Modern mask has the tubing on the left side and it looks cooler especially with the hmd helmet.

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

MBU-12/P (elephant trunk, center piece) versus MBU-20/P (with the side piece)

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Lex ... when you say they suck ... I believe you; but, could you give us some more detail, some insight as to what you do not like about their design or function? Thanks

Sure thing. I just never thought this would be of interest.

The CE masks were redesigned to be a bit more modular and easier to maintain. The old ones, once the rubber tore or plastic cracked, the mask was useless.

From a pilots perspective:

The CE masks sealed just around the lips with a very defined sealing edge. It would be as if you stuck your lips inside the mouth of a coke bottle.

The old masks were smooth inside and your entire chin would sit in a rubber cradle.

The relevance of this is:

... have you ever tried to talk with your mouth making duck lips inside a coke bottle?

Because the older masks had such a large sealing surface area, it was much more forgiving when you moved your jaw for any reason.

I still use the old design to this day. It was up to the pilot which we wanted to use as long as they could source the parts for maintenance.

Meet me on discord and i can show you some pictures.

Hope this was interesting :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

The relevance of this is:

... have you ever tried to talk with your mouth making duck lips inside a coke bottle?

:megalol::megalol:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

LOFL I'll have to source one for my fighter pilot cosplay so I too can sound like a real pilot, duck lips and all.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hope this was interesting :)

Sure was! Its the kind of thing that you don't know unless you've actually done it.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

When I wrote the question I meant the DCS F-18 pilot, why he uses a MBU-12/P mask and not the more modern MBU-20/P mask, if anyone was wondering about the question.

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I would like to think they did their homework and realized that the 12 was the prolific mask used in the hay day of the legacy hornet. The CE masks were not in existence for the navy/marine corps during the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s ...

..... it was probably simply that it was the picture that came up when they searched "pilot mask". Or as seen in movies. Maybe someone told them "modern " does not equal "better" , who knows. Guess we could ask Wags.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

I’d prioritize fixing the backwards flag on the pilots shoulder over the mask change personally. But that is also probably pretty low on the priority list.

The "patch" is oriented correctly, per the US Flag Code. Even on aircraft they will be oriented in that manner, on the respective side.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Anyone wanting the Hornet Driver with a fix for the backwards flag, sideways railroad tracks and Army Helo nametag just PM me. Tell me what rank you want and what patch you want on the right shoulder.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone wanting the Hornet Driver with a fix for the backwards flag, sideways railroad tracks and Army Helo nametag just PM me. Tell me what rank you want and what patch you want on the right shoulder.

The Flag is correct. Rank...meh...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Sierra99, I thought you were aircrew? You're telling me USMC_Trev is wrong? LOL

I want you to walk around the Squadron at MacDill next week with that backwards flag. I bet your Chief Boom makes you buy beers! LOL

Incorrect

n6t1ce9.jpg

Correct

5pCuXGY.jpg

FWIW Note: Field Grade rank (O-4 to O-6) is placed such that the oak leaf stem or eagle "feet" point outwards from the head down the top of the shoulder. Junior Officer rank (O-1 to O-3) is depicted as above.

Edited by Backy 51

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The "patch" is oriented correctly, per the US Flag Code. Even on aircraft they will be oriented in that manner, on the respective side.

Cheers,

Don

Sorry man but you are quite mistaken; look at some real life examples if you like on the google for military aircrew/aircraft. Flag flies with the wind..

Sorry man but you are quite mistaken; look at some real life examples if you like on the google for military aircrew/aircraft. Flag flies with the wind..

strikerdg, you mean like this? ;)

Wr2osE2.jpg

goNQHLx.jpg

Insert "Ride like the Wind - Christopher Cross" here ... :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, Don. You don't win this round. In fact in Jacksonville you'd have to buy a round.

No, I was agreeing with you - "the flies with the wind" saying.

I was saying that the flag can appear "backwards" on the right side of the aircraft. Hence the US Flag code reference.

Probably a poor response, or wording, on my part to the one who was suggesting he had a "fix" to the pilot suit. If there is an error with DCS' flight suit for the Hornet - haven't seen it as I don't see it using VR.

I know the stars lead the way sir. Good to go. And I've got a coin, but will wait until another challenges. Unless that was it, then I shall present mine. ;)

EDIT: Can now see with the photos from DCS that were posted, the error in question with DCS' orientation of the flag on the suit. Apologies as I was referencing the soldier and the pilot (real photo) and thought there was a dispute to those real life photos (the post directly above my original, to which you disputed).

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

LOL jeez sorry this convo is now as messed up as the flag. Cheers!

No worries sir, we are good to go.

Cheers,

Don