Advice regarding VR kit

Hello guys,

Currently, I own an HTC Vive. While the immersion is fantastic, I feel like I'm missing out on alot of detail since its the first version of the Vive with (currently, relatively) low resolution.

So, I've decided to upgrade, my options are:

Vive Pro

Rift S

HP Reverb

To be honest, from my information gathered on these forums, the Rift S provides the best image quality for DCS.

Are there any pros and cons for each that I should consider? The VR headset is primarily for DCS. I don't mind its pros and cons for any other game.

Thanks for all the advice!

CD

Lots of variables to consider :

Do you require ipd adjustment or not ? Rift S and Reverb have no physical adjustment .

Are you comfortable with "tuning" a wmr headset (Reverb) or would you prefer "plug and play" ? (Rift S)

Your system . High-end gpu to drive Reverb , or mid-range to drive Rift S ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I do not require IPD adjustments.

I prefer plug and play but don't mind setting up anything.

My system is on the high end, I9 9900K 1080Ti, running DCS on NVMe

The most important thing for me is picture clarity. I hear that due to LCD display in the Rift S, the image is much crisper than in the non LCD sets (Reverb, Vive)

I cannot physically test these sets so I'll count on any advice given by real users :)

Rift S is a good kit and DCS looks nice in it, certainly better than first gen.

It does have some weaknesses.

Audio strap is not very good, I use earbuds with mine plugged into the headphone jack in the Rift S - that sounds great.

Mic is not so great either, mine cuts out a lot - I purchased an inexpensive USB desktop mic which works great for me. The mic issue does not seem to be quite as widespread though, so may be ok there.

Not much faffing about with the Rift S - solid software and decent hardware. You won't see many threads on how to get the most out of the Rift S, pretty much plug and play. I have more hours than I care to think about in it - use it daily - since May 24th. Great tracking - the headset has 5 cameras, and the Touch Controllers are great especially if you are into other VR games. I do love my Rift S, my Rift CV1 has been officially retired since getting it.

Reverb is the most popular here I would say currently due to it's higher resolution/better clarity. With it you need to use both WMR and Steam VR. For seated games is fine, for other games that make use of a room size maybe not as much due to it only having two cameras.

There is also the Valve Index, which is pricey. However since you would already have base station and controllers for you Vive, would not be as much out of pocket as those who do not. It is not inside out tracking like the Rift S and Reverb, but uses the Lighthouse as the Vive does. From reports I see it is a decent upgrade, albeit resolution not quite as good as Reverb but probably close.

There is also the new Vive Cosmos which has just started shipping I believe, early reports from reviewers don't sound so great, I am sure they will get the issues worked out though like others have.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The Reverb is also a LCD display and significantly higher resolution than the Rift S.

The Rift S is a great entry level device and probably has more usable controllers than the Reverb but if clarity is your goal the Reverb is king.

Here is a quote from the VR sub forum here:

After sending my original defective Reverb back, I bought a Rift S and although impressive, I was still constantly tweaking- chasing an image that wasn't possible. After a month I sent the Rift back and ordered a new HP. Huge improvement in clarity. The difference between almost there and definitely good enough for me.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I was an original owner of the rift and recently upgraded to the rift s after much consideration of the other options and competition. Wasn't expecting much given the spec etc but i thought any bump in visuals for the low price is worthwhile.

Let me say i was pleasantly shocked! Everything is clear in the cockpit, target aquisition is much better especially combined with the VR spyglass zoom feature released on the OB this week for A2G - A2A.

People slate the sound, i have used it when i first got it but to be fair even with the original rift i still used my steel series 7. I don't understand people discounting the rift for the sound when it comes with a input jack on the actual headpiece anyway for those that don't have wireless.

For me the Rift purchase came down to one thing - software and smoothness, its fully supported with ED DCS. For that reason alone and hearing some horror stories of WMR and other hardware i stayed with oculus, i've not been dissapointed.

I don't understand people that say they are waiting for next gen headsets - the immersion, 1 to 1 tracking and visuals are amazing now (i have a 55inch 4k high end screen that never gets used for DCS anymore).

Run my rift on a RTX2080 - brilliant performance. So for £400 what more is there to think about - in visuals alone i fail to see any difference in the Vive Pro etc and certainly not £700 worth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat