How can I use the metal switches of the Warthog throttle?

Hey guys,

I would like to adjust my warthog now fully to the Viper. For this purpose, I would like to use the metal switches as well. But somehow they don't get identified as 3-way switches.

Example given:

I would like to map my autopilot select switch on the warthog to the autopilot in the Viper. So that switch down on the warthog is the same like it is on the autopilot switch in the Viper.

And also I'm struggling with my TFRP. I can use them for rudder controls, but can't use the wheel brake on them...

Any help is highly appreciated.

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

There are special commands which act the way you want for several but an exhaustive list of F-16 controls. Look in the "Special For Joystick" section. Oddly the AP pitch switch isn't among them. If you look in default.lua for the AP roll switch you should find a good template to write them in.

{    down = control_commands.ApRoll,                    up = control_commands.ApRoll,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,    value_down = -1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Autopilot ROLL Switch - STRG SEL/ATT HOLD'),                                category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Instrument Panel'), _('FLCS')}},
{    down = control_commands.ApRoll,                    up = control_commands.ApRoll,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,    value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Autopilot ROLL Switch - HDG SEL/ATT HOLD'),                                category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Instrument Panel'), _('FLCS')}},

And also I'm struggling with my TFRP. I can use them for rudder controls, but can't use the wheel brake on them...

Did you map the left and right brake under the axis options? Second did you invert the axis? If you didn't invert, the brakes will work in reverse, on when you don't want them, and off when you apply brake pressure.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks for the replies, both of you.

Have to check it as soon as I have the chance to... Brakes aren't set as axis, that I know for sure!

The other mapping thing looks pretty complicated...

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

If you want to use the switches in all their position states and don't want to learn LUA scripts you can just use TARGET. It has a nice easy to use GUI where you point and click and use standard pull down/drill down menus. That being said, after you get comfortable with the GUI, TARGET scripts are a good intro to learn basic code syntax. The TARGET interface will do it all for you though.

Cant you just go to the control section in DCS, select the autopilot command line then in the column under throttle control highlight the box and flip the switch just like setting any other switch/ plane function? What am I missing!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Hey guys,

I would like to adjust my warthog now fully to the Viper. For this purpose, I would like to use the metal switches as well. But somehow they don't get identified as 3-way switches...

The flap switch and autopilot switch for example have three position states that can all send a keyboard press or joystick button press to your PC. With Target you can fully model those position states.

The default DCS system can't assign the 3 way switches unless something has changed recently and I wasn't aware.

Edit: If you have A-10C module they are modeled properly by default with the Warthog. I just double checked, the default DCS system still only recognizes joystick button 22 and 23 and 27, 28 for the flap and autopilot switch respectively. With TARGET you can emulate all the DX joystick buttons and hat switch that Windows can handle as well as any combination of keyboard presses you can think of with the virtual keyboard. Personally I don't find TARGET that difficult to use, it's just a standard point and click GUI, it's very intuitive. It even shows you a little picture of the stick and throttle and you can click on the button you want to assign.

Edited by Sn8ke_iis

Just to add Joy2key also allows for different on an off states of switches. A lot simpler than Target IMHO!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Cant you just go to the control section in DCS, select the autopilot command line then in the column under throttle control highlight the box and flip the switch just like setting any other switch/ plane function? What am I missing!

As stated above, dcs doesn't realise all 3 positions of the switches. It recognizes on/off but not up/middle/down. Therefore I can't just select them in the options, unlike the a 10, where they are pre-set already.

So I think I will give TARGET a try...

Gizzys script

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2563187#post2563187

3 way and momentary switching. Works flawlessly.

NOTE when setting some keybinds you need to move the switch both ways to register the shift command element (ie up/down then back to centre for the centre position) - some binds require the return to centre from both positions to be bound. Its easier done than ive made it sound.

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.