Can an F-14 overturn an F-16 !?

max22

I thought MPO was for nose down only to get out of a deep stall?

I never knew that. The dash 1 doesn't state if it's only for pitching down or both directions. It says the override position is to override the negative G limiter and allow pitch commands. One would assume that that means it's for pitch down only. I'll have a play with it later. So in BMS it was for pitching up too? hmmmm

It is only for pitching down.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read an article about Israel F-16 testing MPO. The H-stab deflects both upward and downward and exceeds the normal 15 deg deflection in both directions (20+).

The google scholar service is not available at the moment. I will post the link later.

Edited by oldtimesake

I have read an article about Israel F-16 testing MPO. The H-stab deflects both upward and downward and exceeds the normal 15 deg deflection in both directions (20+).

I will post the link later

You read an article, I worked on USAF F-16, replaced stab ISA, horizontal stabs, rig flight controls, help trouble shoot, etc.

Working on the jet does not make me and expert nor am I all knowing, but that article has nothing to do with USAF F-16 block 50, which is what we have here in DCS.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Every time I see someone post here: " I read an article" or "in the Greek F-16 manual" ..."So DCS is wrong".

Every time I see sentences like that it sounds to me like they are saying: " I read Microsoft windows 95 for dummies, therefore I know everything there is to know about Microsoft windows 10".

To me both sentences are equal.

To whom it may concern,

Well, I recently checked again the mighty thrust vectored X-31 documentary and found something interesting:

1. F/A-18C and F-14D all lost to X-31, with considerable exchange ratio disadvantage.

2. F-15C/16C gained favorable exchange ratio against X-31.

Doesn't tell us anything.

And, if you really want more alpha on F-16, check the MPO (manual pitch override). I am sure its craziness is beyond your imagination. Cobra is a joke by comparison.

that`s enough.

by this comment, i knew you didn`t even play the DCS F16 module.

I`m done with this guy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I9-9900K-Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC, 32G DDR4000 RAM,

Track IR5, HOTAS Cougar + über Nxt Hall Sensor Mod, Slaw Device RX Viper

Yeah, I tried it in DCS and it doesn't do anything for the pitch up. I'll try in BMS as well. I'd be surprised if it's meant to work for the pitch up because as far as I know the override is designed solely to get you out of a deep stall. Just like msvgas says.

Every time I see someone post here: " I read an article" or "in the Greek F-16 manual" ..."So DCS is wrong".

Every time I see sentences like that it sounds to me like they are saying: " I read Microsoft windows 95 for dummies, therefore I know everything there is to know about Microsoft windows 10".

To me both sentences are equal.

(Chuckle)

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

I think there are some misunderstanding.

https://www.icas.org/ICAS_ARCHIVE/ICAS1990/ICAS-90-5.10.2.pdf

Check Fig. 5 and 10 for delta E.

It can be confirmed that the MPO can be used to pitch the H-stab to +/- 25 deg, which is +/-15 deg in normal condition.

The F-16 gets out of deep stall by pitch rocking. +25deg deflection alone is not enough to trigger the pitch rocking.

Edited by oldtimesake

Yeah, I tried it in DCS and it doesn't do anything for the pitch up. I'll try in BMS as well. I'd be surprised if it's meant to work for the pitch up because as far as I know the override is designed solely to get you out of a deep stall. Just like msvgas says.

Absolutely.

There I went with a little bit expectation, imagining if the DCS Falcon could feature the Hornet's high pitch-rate and nose pointing authority but, no... nothing whatsoever.

Not only does the pitch control switch immediately jump from "override" to "manual", but also the stabilizers don't seem to deflect with more amplitude either.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I think there are some misunderstanding.

https://www.icas.org/ICAS_ARCHIVE/ICAS1990/ICAS-90-5.10.2.pdf

Check Fig. 5 and 10 for delta E.

It can be confirmed that the MPO can be used to pitch the H-stab to +/- 25 deg, which is +/-15 deg in normal condition.

The F-16 gets out of deep stall by pitch rocking. +25deg deflection alone is not enough to trigger the pitch rocking.

This paper uses references from a block 15 Stability and control report from September 1981 and a block 25 Stability and control report from October 1983. Both of which use a different flight control system that the block 50 in DCS (FLCC as oppose to DFLCC) but a 38 year old reference to an ever changing, constantly updated and/or upgraded aircraft...I you think it has viable or useful information?

Good luck:thumbup:

To whom it may concern,

Well, I recently checked again the mighty thrust vectored X-31 documentary and found something interesting:

1. F/A-18C and F-14D all lost to X-31, with considerable exchange ratio disadvantage.

2. F-15C/16C gained favorable exchange ratio against X-31.

So my point is, the way real fighter pilot flies is different from sim players. Sim players tend to pull the stick all the way backward thus those who excels at slow speed have an edge. Real fighter pilots know better energy management than us, and they do not go blackout after 3 second in 7G (DCS hahahaha)

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

that`s enough.

by this comment, i knew you didn`t even play the DCS F16 module.

I`m done with this guy.

Yeah, LOL! He probably never heard anything about the reason why the F-16 is AoA limited, superstall is something not to mess with...

And btw, something that I am not sure is even simulated in DCS are the limitation of the aircraft in transonic regime especially above 35.000 ft with asymmetric load.

The F-16 is a fantastic aircraft but it has its limitations...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.