Consistent mouse-switch interaction logic

Nealius

Introduction

DCS has a standard mouse-switch interaction logic. The problem is that it isn't actually standard. The logic is inconsistent across modules, and is inconsistent even in the same module. This causes frustration via making the wrong right/left click because the user expected a certain switch to behave like all the other switches, only to find that it doesn't. I tested all my modules to see which switches in which modules do not follow the standard.

Current standard

2-way switches: right/left click function the same

3-way switches: right click moves switch up/right; left click moves switch down/left

Rotaries: right click moves rotary CW; left click moves rotary CCW

Findings

I tested all my modules because I know some of them get really weird with switches due to not following the standard described above. I'll start with the modules that follow the standard, then describe the ones that don't follow the standard.

Modules that follow the standard

Bf 109

F-16C

F-5E

F/A-18C

Fw 190 A8

M2000C**

Mi-8**

Spitfire

UH-1**

Modules that do NOT follow the standard

Under each module I will list the offending switches

A-10C**

IFFCC

Laser ARM

Master Arm

GUN PAC arm

Land/taxi lights

Anti-skid

Inverter

Mag Var

Windshield rain remove

Position flash/steady

Flap switch

SAS switches

Autopilot PATH/ALT/HDG

Seat height

AJS-37

Trim switches

Weapon rotary

Interval rotary

AV-8B

ARMT switches (all)

HUD REJ

HUD night/day

F-86**

Rudder trim switch

Red switch (unlabeled; starter?)

F-14B

(Pilot)

Baro altimeter reset switch

Master light rotaries

(RIO)

MSL OPTIONS

STA 1 and 8 armament

Mech Fuze

Baro altimeter reset

Upper radar panel switches

Instrument/console light rotaries

JF-17

All 3-way switches (rotaries follow standard)

MiG-21

Everything

MiG-19

Homing switch - right click INOP

P-51D

Mixture

Yak-52

WNPOTA (can't read Cyrillic) panel - all switches

Conclusion

The mouse-switch logic is quite inconsistent. I've always been frustrated with the A-10's switchology in particular, and I can clearly see why after testing all of my modules.

I marked some modules with (**). There's an additional issue where a switch or rotary will jump to max opposite position if you continue clicking past its maximum travel. For example, if a 3-position switch is at its uppermost position and I right-click it again, the switch will jump to its lowermost position. Same applies to rotaries. This is particularly frustrating with the A-10's IFFCC switch because it follows reverse logic. If I want to move the IFFCC from ON to the middle position to change a setting, I left-click because I expect it to follow standard logic. Instead it goes straight to OFF and I've just shut down all my avionics. The modules marked with (**) experience this issue with some or all switches and/or rotaries.

Proposal

Enforce the standard across all switches/rotaries and across all modules. I would also like to see the (**) addressed. If a switch is at its max up/down or left/right position, subsequent clicks in that direction should result in zero movement. The same should also apply to 2-way switches: If a switch is up and you right-click, it should not move. If a switch is down and you left-click, it should not move. Same applies to rotaries.

Why not change the three modules that have reversed the former standard (F-14/16/18), instead of all others?

Because those did not reverse a non-existent "former standard." It also does not address the modules that have mixed standard/non-standard switch interaction, such as the A-10C, where nearly half the switches follow one logic and the other half follow a reversed logic.

Because those did not reverse a non-existent "former standard." It also does not address the modules that have mixed standard/non-standard switch interaction, such as the A-10C, where nearly half the switches follow one logic and the other half follow a reversed logic.

There was a former standard:

-Rotaries right click clockwise; left click counterclockwise

-Three position switches left click forward or upward; right click back or downward

-Two position toggle either right or left click

The MiG-21 completely follows that logic, as does the JF-17, the MiG-15, the MiG-19, the Viggen (although that one does not have any three position AFAIK), the Yak-52 and probably a lot more that I don't own. Its the three teen fighters which are wrong in my oppinion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There was a former standard:

-Rotaries right click clockwise; left click counterclockwise

-Three position switches left click forward or upward; right click back or downward

-Two position toggle either right or left click

The MiG-21 completely follows that logic, as does the JF-17, the MiG-15, the MiG-19, the Viggen (although that one does not have any three position AFAIK), the Yak-52 and probably a lot more that I don't own. Its the three teen fighters which are wrong in my oppinion.

That is objectively incorrect. Any previous standard would have been set by the first two ED modules: Black Shark and A-10C. As you can see with the A-10C there was no standard. As I said before, half the switches seem to follow one logic while the other half seem to be reversed in the A-10C module alone.

Furthermore, why should 16 modules have their entire logic completely reworked to your proposed "former standard" when only a few switches across a few modules could be reworked to the established standard in the first post?

Edited by Nealius

That is objectively incorrect. Any previous standard would have been set by the first two ED modules: Black Shark and A-10C. As you can see with the A-10C there was no standard. As I said before, half the switches seem to follow one logic while the other half seem to be reversed in the A-10C module alone.

Furthermore, why should 16 modules have their entire logic completely reworked to your proposed "former standard" when only a few switches across a few modules could be reworked to the established standard in the first post?

What established standard? Your list alone shows that this is not an established standard. Three modules have introduced a reverse logic of the three position switches. Why should all others be updated to that (unintuitive) new way. All other modules may have inconsistencies, but all general follow the old, left click fwd/up logic. By the way, your assesment of the MiG-21 is even wrong, as right click will give you a clockwise motion of all rotary switches.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What established standard? Your list alone shows that this is not an established standard. Three modules have introduced a reverse logic of the three position switches. Why should all others be updated to that (unintuitive) new way. All other modules may have inconsistencies, but all general follow the old, left click fwd/up logic. By the way, your assesment of the MiG-21 is even wrong, as right click will give you a clockwise motion of all rotary switches.

Reread my first post. There are more than three modules that follow what you claim is the "new standard." Of the 19 modules I tested, There are 9 that follow it fully. There are 7 that follow it mostly but have a few odd switches that don't. There are only two that fully follow your "standard" and one of those is the newest module, the JF-17. Then there's the A-10C which is just a mess. That means that 84% of those 19 modules mostly follow the right-click-up standard. Numbers don't lie.

Edited by Nealius

I agree, this needs to be fixed - it's especially annoying in modules where left clicking one switch will move it to the up position, but left clicking the switch next to it will move it to the down position.

I quite like how it's done in X-Plane where scrolling up on the mouse wheel moves a switch to the up position, and scrolling down moves it to the down position.

Great topic. What is the right way or the wrong way is less important than a standard because your muscle meory really get's crippled with the current all over the place design. The times I've hovered over a switch that was semi important wondering if my first guess was wrong, what would happen and having to overthink literally every button press. It should be instinctual, standardised and much more important than it appears to be.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

This would be a nice change to improve user experience.

From a code perspective, I'd say it'll be a lot of fun refactoring the codebase to use the GoF strategy pattern and have the third-party devs code to it. Imagine the amount of coffee that would need to be consumed...

But in all seriousness, this would be a great achievement.

Edited by Tidy Dave
me no english gud