[REPORTED]NET: Max message size exceeded!

davidp57

Hello !

I just found out that there is a link between the infamous "NET: Max message size exceeded!", "NET: Failed assert capped_sz == sz at Projects\AsyncNet\src\DsbNet\DsbServer.cpp:1122" errors and the size and complexity of the radio menu.

The last thing I could find in this forum about that was a reply from C0ff where he said that it had something to do with craters. That was probably true at the time, but since a few months we've had this problem with our (quite complex and dynamic) training mission and had to find work-arounds.

In our mission, the radio menu is quite deep (4 levels) and often full (9-10 lines). Sometimes (less often if we prune the menu) pilots will be missing entries in some of the menus.

I made a (very simple) demo mission that I attached to this bug report. It does nothing but open a Game Master slot and create a 4 level deep menu with 9 commands for each of the deepest submenus :

local function message(text)
   trigger.action.outText("message "..text or "[nil]", 5) 
end

local menu = missionCommands.addSubMenu("TEST RADIO MENU")
for step_one = 1,9 do 
   local menu_step_one = missionCommands.addSubMenu("TEST STEP ONE "..step_one, menu)
   for step_two = 1,9 do 
       local menu_step_two = missionCommands.addSubMenu("TEST STEP TWO "..step_two, menu_step_one)
       for step_three = 1,9 do 
           local menu_step_three = missionCommands.addSubMenu("TEST STEP THREE "..step_three, menu_step_two)
           for step_four = 1,9 do 
               local menu_step_four = missionCommands.addSubMenu("TEST STEP FOUR "..step_four, menu_step_three)
               for commands = 1,9 do 
                   missionCommands.addCommand("TEST COMMAND ", menu_step_four, message, string.format("%d/%d/%d/%d/%d", step_one, step_two, step_three, step_four, commands))
               end
           end
       end
   end    
end

If you put this mission on a server (dedicated server on my side), connect to the server as a client and check the server log, you'll find these errors :

2020-04-27 08:31:16.700 INFO    NET: client[2] is ready to start
2020-04-27 08:31:16.701 INFO    NET: spawning client[2]
2020-04-27 08:31:16.874 WARNING NET: Max message size exceeded!
2020-04-27 08:31:16.874 ERROR   NET: Failed assert `capped_sz == sz` at Projects\AsyncNet\src\DsbNet\DsbServer.cpp:1122
2020-04-27 08:31:16.874 ERROR   NET: Message 34433 was truncated from 170958 bytes
2020-04-27 08:31:16.877 INFO    NET: client[2] started
2020-04-27 08:31:47.308 INFO    NET: remove: client 2

Could the team please have a look at this problem, it's becoming increasingly difficult to work around.

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Zip.

testRadioMenu.miz

Edited by davidp57

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• ED Team

Hi

the problem is size limit which is currently 64KB of compressed data.

I have put a feature request in for the radio menu, but for now you will need to keep it below 64KB

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks Bignewy !

Do you thing the feature request will be accepted ?

I'm trying to keep the data under 64k but it's hard, considering it's a dynamic mission ;)

I'm also surprised to be the first one reporting this problem.

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• ED Team
Thanks Bignewy !

Do you thing the feature request will be accepted ?

I'm trying to keep the data under 64k but it's hard, considering it's a dynamic mission ;)

I'm also surprised to be the first one reporting this problem.

As soon as I get a reply from the dev I will let you know.

Nothing wrong with being the first, just means you are a maverick or an evil genius :)

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Good find. I've known quite a few folks getting issues with long and deep nested menus and we also had a lot of people say they had issues with long and complex menus but we never saw any direct error that stood out at the time. I can say that the symptoms have existed for a long time and 132nd was prone to getting menus begin to corrupt for over two years afaik. But nothing that related it to a dcs error message. We just trimmed them until it worked. It was also a bit erratic when it could happen, so we coudl never reliably reproduce. FIrst time I heard there actually WAS a limit, so thanks for posting.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Thanks for reporting. We have had a lot of people using Moose reporting issues with menus disappearing. We never could really figure out why as there was no obvious error message.

This might be the explanation.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Pikes, Frank, you're welcome.

As you said it's been a while, we've always dealt with it but now that we use the Moose:AIRBOSS feature the menu are even bigger and the problem is getting quite difficult to work around.

Btw thanks for your work on Moose, both of you !

@Bignewy, I've got a question : what's in this 64k limit ?

Is this the menu that is sent to a single client, meaning that this menu is tailored to his group only (when using the addCommandForGroup function) or is this the whole complete menu on the server (with all the commands for all the groups) ?

Of course, this changes a lot...

[edit]

I've made changes in my code to record the size of the text, for all the submenus and commands, for each of the groups. I'm aware that the data that is stored in this packet is not limited to the text of the menus and commands, but I needed something to start measuring.

After starting the mission, the maximum size of the menu (for all the groups) was 3491 (characters, so if LUA is unicode let's say 7 Kbytes).

If I play the mission a few minutes, the maximum size gets up to 3700 characters.

Edited by davidp57

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear ED team, please fix it!

00:57:14.838  ERROR  ASYNCNET  Max message size exceeded! 
00:57:14.838  ERROR  ASYNCNET  Failed assert `capped_sz == sz` at Projects\AsyncNet\src\DsbNet\DsbServer.cpp:1290 
00:57:14.838  ERROR  ASYNCNET  Message 34433 was truncated from 67352 bytes 

It's big problem for our server.

---

Kind Regards,

Alexander "Angry Яussian Simmer" Dementyev

simMarket Team Member

www.simmarket.com