host player name keeps resetting

hi there, I'm having a bit of a weird issue at the moment, I change the server "host player name" but whenever I restart the server it defaults back to PILOT_655492, what is going on, how do I fix this? it didn't happen in my last server build

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

Sounds like the censor filter is at work. Maybe put it in manually in the config file.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Interesting that it’s the same pilot number for both of us.

I should make a point that this is a clean install of the server, I was running the server on the same machine and it changed and kept the server host name just fine. But after doing a SSD upgrade and a full reinstall of windows I re installed this instance of the server and now this little bug is happening if that’s any help?

Also the name I’m trying to put in is “NZArmA” so nothing crazy, worked fine last time

Same here, keeps resetting.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Same. Setting the server name used to be a simple affair; now it resets to PILOT_[whatever] every time it is restarted. Name entries are saved in the nicknames.lua file but that makes absolutely zero difference — it just bloats up with more duplicate names on every restart and name change.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Same. Setting the server name used to be a simple affair; now it resets to PILOT_[whatever] every time it is restarted. Name entries are saved in the nicknames.lua file but that makes absolutely zero difference — it just bloats up with more duplicate names on every restart and name change.

Same thing that happens here.

I agree it’s most likely now on the list but it would be cool if ED could just let us know that there aware of it.

Just for piece of mind

I am assuming you guys are using dedicated server ?

navigate in explorer to

C:\Users\YOU USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts

where openbeta_server is what is specified in the -w start parameter for the server

create a file called dedicatedServer.lua

edit it and stick this in

net.set_name('Admin_name')

local res = net.start_server(serverSettings)

if res ~= 0 then

log.write('Dedicated Server', log.DEBUG, 'Failed to start server with code: ', res)

end

save file, start dedicated server

• Thanks 2

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I am assuming you guys are using dedicated server ?

navigate in explorer to

C:\Users\YOU USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts

where openbeta_server is what is specified in the -w start parameter for the server

create a file called dedicatedServer.lua

edit it and stick this in

net.set_name('Admin_name')

local res = net.start_server(serverSettings)

if res ~= 0 then

log.write('Dedicated Server', log.DEBUG, 'Failed to start server with code: ', res)

end

save file, start dedicated server

Thankyou:thumbup:

this works great

~

Works great for me too,

Out of curiosity what do all the lines mean/do

Also

Is there anything else we can do in this .lua to maximise experience/performance?

dunno, be better asking ED which is where I got that code snipet from and how to set-up the name

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Works great, thanks a lot !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I understand everything except for this sentence.... can someone explain this to an idiot (me)?

What is a "-w parameter", who uses it, where is it, what does it do?

I've never seen such a thing before

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I understand everything except for this sentence.... can someone explain this to an idiot (me)?

What is a "-w parameter", who uses it, where is it, what does it do?

I've never seen such a thing before

You use the -w command line parameter to set your working directory — the one DCS will read all settings and (base) mission directories from. It's used when you want to run multiple instances dedicated server instances in parallel, where each instance gets its own setting. So you may set up different DCS directories called “Server 1”, “Server 2” etc, and when you start your dedicated server, you point each instance to one of those using “-w Server 1” as part of the startup shortcut.

If you only ever run a single instance, and only ever run the dedicated server, you don't need to worry or care about it — DCS will simply read from its default directory (usually %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS or %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta or some such).

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

You use the -w command line parameter to set your working directory — the one DCS will read all settings and (base) mission directories from. It's used when you want to run multiple instances dedicated server instances in parallel, where each instance gets its own setting. So you may set up different DCS directories called “Server 1”, “Server 2” etc, and when you start your dedicated server, you point each instance to one of those using “-w Server 1” as part of the startup shortcut.

If you only ever run a single instance, and only ever run the dedicated server, you don't need to worry or care about it — DCS will simply read from its default directory (usually %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS or %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta or some such).

OK, thanks, now I understand

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 1 year later...