Where is the bottleneck?

I've been playing the P51 bluenose campaign an getting massive FPS drops down into single figure when it gets busy with the bombers. I checked my CPU , GPU and RAM usage during the drops and my CPU is at about 50%(1 thread at about 80%) capacity, my GPU at 60% and using 10GB of my 16 GB of RAM. Can anyone shed some light as to what the bottleneck in my system might be? Admittedly I am running on 1440 resolution but with the setting quite low but I cant understand why one of the 3 components isint at 100% before the frames drop. PS im pretty non tech savvy.

I have an i5 8600k CPU OC to 4700mhz. A 1070 GPU slightly OC'd and 16GB of DDR4 RAm at 2133MHz.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Well your system seems capable just one thing try running your XMP PRofile for your Ram. you can find that setting in BIOS..

Plus maybe you are hitting your 16gb limit of ram when those objects come in.. 32gb is reccomended these days..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I've been playing the P51 bluenose campaign an getting massive FPS drops down into single figure when it gets busy with the bombers. I checked my CPU , GPU and RAM usage during the drops and my CPU is at about 50%(1 thread at about 80%) capacity, my GPU at 60% and using 10GB of my 16 GB of RAM. Can anyone shed some light as to what the bottleneck in my system might be? Admittedly I am running on 1440 resolution but with the setting quite low but I cant understand why one of the 3 components isint at 100% before the frames drop. PS im pretty non tech savvy.

I have an i5 8600k CPU OC to 4700mhz. A 1070 GPU slightly OC'd and 16GB of DDR4 RAm at 2133MHz.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Do you use a SSD? SSD is important for DCS.

Hi Waltan,

1) Your PC should be able to run the game fine in 2.5.5. Even I could, on a laptop. With 2.5.6, a massive FPS hit came when there are lots of units. The devs are aware and working on it.

2) In the meantime, you can remove some of the bombers by using the F10 radio menu right after spawning at the beginning of the mission.

3) I just submitted a campaign update to ED in which this option optimizes performance even further. I hope it will make it into the next update.

Edited by Reflected

Hi Well your system seems capable just one thing try running your XMP PRofile for your Ram. you can find that setting in BIOS..

Plus maybe you are hitting your 16gb limit of ram when those objects come in.. 32gb is reccomended these days..

Thank, Didn't know about the XMP profile. Have done that now. It seems that even at 10fps im only using 10GB of my available RAM and its not being used by anything else. :( . Ive allocated 16384 to the pagefile on my ssd.

Hi Waltan,

1) Your PC should be able to run the game fine in 2.5.5. Even I could, on a laptop. With 2.5.6, a massive FPS hit came when there are lots of units. The devs are aware and working on it.

2) In the meantime, you can remove some of the bombers by using the F10 radio menu right after spawning at the beginning of the mission.

3) I just submitted a campaign update to ED in which this option optimizes performance even further. I hope it will make it into the next update.

Thanks. Yeah , the only time theres a problem is when all the bombers start dropping bombs and the fighters show up. I just cant understand why my system is dropping FPS when it appears no one component is showing as maxed out! CHeers anyway.. will get rid of a few bombers, its a shame cus they look awesome in formation.

Have you optimised the nvidia settings? Max performance and all those other control panel settings - most cards have fans set low speed to keep noise down but this means they throttle earlier than they need to. I have set a custom fan speed for mine and yes it makes a noise but I am getting every last bit of power out of that card. Also you say your CPU and GPU are OC'd but have you checked if/when they are hitting power limits? Worth checking how long/often you are getting your CPU OC'd MHz as this can vary depending on mobo settings

Edited by Hoirtel

TURN OFF WAKE TURBULENCE. It absolutely destroys FPS when there are large number of planes flying together.

Do this. But also, when they drop all of their bombs... well, they just haven't designed the CPU that can compute all that on one core and give decent performance too.

Have you optimised the nvidia settings? Max performance and all those other control panel settings - most cards have fans set low speed to keep noise down but this means they throttle earlier than they need to. I have set a custom fan speed for mine and yes it makes a noise but I am getting every last bit of power out of that card. Also you say your CPU and GPU are OC'd but have you checked if/when they are hitting power limits? Worth checking how long/often you are getting your CPU OC'd MHz as this can vary depending on mobo settings

Thanks. I think i have them optimised. Have max power at 125% Have a custom fan setting but it never gets hot anyway. When i do a stress test the GPU runs 100% Stressed the CPU also and it gets full MHZ.

Do this. But also, when they drop all of their bombs... well, they just haven't designed the CPU that can compute all that on one core and give decent performance too.

Ok. I guess the CPU is the bottleneck . It never seems to hit 100% on any single core which is the bit i find strange. Runs about 85% on the busiest core. Maybe its an OC setting for individual cores.