Catapult selection?

norman99

I’ve watched the videos and read the manual, but couldn’t find anything.

Will there be (in early access or full release), any way to control which catapults are used for launch? I’d absolutely love to use one of the bow cats, with static’s parked alongside on the other cat, as this seems to be one of the most common deck configurations.

Could be done by either by selecting the desired launch cat for each unit, or activating/deactivating the cats themselves, in the mission editor. Alternatively, it could detect whether the launch path is blocked by any objects and direct aircraft to an alternative cat. It doesn’t really matter how it’s implemented, simply whatever is easier to create and manage would be great.

US_Navy_070802-N-9988F-002_An_F-A-18E_Super_Hornet_and_a_F-A-18C_Hornet_launch_off_the_flight_deck_of_the_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_Dwight_D._Eisenhower_%28CVN_69%29_during_flight_operations.jpg

1920px-USS_America_%28CV-66%29_underway_in_the_Indian_Ocean_on_24_April_1983.jpg

Edited by norman99

Just need to taxi behind the jet blast deflector and it will recognize that is where you wish to take off from.

From 0:50

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Just need to taxi behind the jet blast deflector and it will recognize that is where you wish to take off from.

Yes, but the problem is ,that at least with the current Stennis, you spawn into statics if you place them on the catapult and also the animated deck crew would need to be removed because otherwhise they will be standing within the statics.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

Thanks guys.

I understand what has been shown in the video, and how to choose the catapult for my own launch. My request was more about controlling where the AI aircraft launch from. I have a number of different deck setups, some with static aircraft placed on the bow.

Currently, I can get aircraft to use only cat 1 buy spawning single aircraft at no closer than 60 seconds apart. Realistically though, almost all flights are at least flown in pairs, and when doing this (spawning 2 units together), the second aircraft always takes cat 2, regardless of whether it's blocked or not.

Here's a couple shots showing an E2 deparing followed by a hornet, and why I don't want anything using cat 2.

screen_200514_192646.png

screen_200514_192847.png

It would be nice if every catapult had a "collision box" of some sort, so that the carrier could check if it was obstructed before attempting to activate it, and check it again before the shooter touches the deck for the stroke.

+1

That would be the best implementation, though not sure if it's the easiest to code?

It also should consider that 1 & 3 are being launched at the same time, or 2 & 4 (as in the first pic), but never 1 & 2 or 3 & 4. It totally does not make sense to have #1 taxi to cat 1 and #2 go to cat 2 then. The lineup order should be 1, 3, 2, 4 if applicable.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It would be nice if every catapult had a "collision box" of some sort, so that the carrier could check if it was obstructed before attempting to activate it, and check it again before the shooter touches the deck for the stroke.

This would be the ultimate solution, but I would also be happy if the mission crator could deactivate a catapult manually.

The solution with the collision box however would also solve issues with people that taxi over the catapult, so it would be ideal.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

A collision box for each cat, basically following their respective fouls lines, would also have the added benefit of allowing additional spawn points to be created very easily. 6-8 more aircraft could spawn on one side of the bow, and not interfere with launch ops on other cats. Aircraft could also return to the bow on recovery too, which would be awesome!