New PC

Hi all

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum or - worse - been answered.

I'm due to get a new rig next month - wholesale changes - and I was wondering what kind of headache I'm going to have reinstalling everything?

I've got pretty much every module, some campaigns, all the maps, the WWII stuff....

Again, forgive me if this has been asked - but is there a handy guide out there to help with what I'm sure is going to be a fairly stressful process?

Obviously I'm concerned about keys/activations from 3rd Party Modules as well as DCS modules.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :thumbup:

Maybe I don't understand your concern exactly, but after you install DCS and start it for the first time, you need to login. After doing so, you will see all available (purchased) modules in the module manager. Just select them all, download/install and enjoy DCS :thumbup:

The most "stressfull" part, would be waiting for downloads :P

Oh and don't forget to copy your config folder, unless you want to spend a decade on configuring your HOTAS again :smilewink:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Maybe I don't understand your concern exactly, but after you install DCS and start it for the first time, you need to login. After doing so, you will see all available (purchased) modules in the module manager. Just select them all, download/install and enjoy DCS :thumbup:

The most "stressfull" part, would be waiting for downloads :P

Oh and don't forget to copy your config folder, unless you want to spend a decade on configuring your HOTAS again :smilewink:

Thanks Sirrah. And thanks for mentioning the config file - I hadn't thought about that.

My main concern was loss of activations. Are activations still a thing? Recently, I'm sure I saw one of the campaigns had 3 activations or something.

Hmm, maybe someone else can shed some light there

I only ever did a complete reinstall on my current system and didn't have any issues with any modules or dlc campaigns (I don't own all that's available though)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I'm due to get a new rig next month - wholesale changes - and I was wondering what kind of headache I'm going to have reinstalling everything?

I've got pretty much every module, some campaigns, all the maps, the WWII stuff....

At least regarding DCS, you don't need to reinstall any module ... just copy to a backup external drive the following two paths:

C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/

C:/Users/your-user/Saved Games/DCSxxx/

On the new PC, restore the two items to the same path (assuming your-user on the new PC will be the same as on the current)

Once on the new PC, you will have to correct the filenames of your HOTAS bindings, on the path /Saved Games/DCS/Config/Input ... as the USB ID is used on the filenames, and this ID is going to be different on the new PC.

Obviously I'm concerned about keys/activations from 3rd Party Modules as well as DCS modules.

Currently, the Modules do not need activation/deactivation, as they are simply linked to your ED account. ... if you are on DCS Stable be sure to update to this version:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/stable/2.5.5.41371.1/

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I did this back in December. I am not a PC guy for sure and was worried like you. I can't give any details, mainly because I don't really remember, but what I can say is the change over was a lot easier than I was expecting.

At least regarding DCS, you don't need to reinstall any module ... just copy to a backup external drive the following two paths:

C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/

C:/Users/your-user/Saved Games/DCSxxx/

On the new PC, restore the two items to the same path (assuming your-user on the new PC will be the same as on the current)

Once on the new PC, you will have to correct the filenames of your HOTAS bindings, on the path /Saved Games/DCS/Config/Input ... as the USB ID is used on the filenames, and this ID is going to be different on the new PC.

Currently, the Modules do not need activation/deactivation, as they are simply linked to your ED account. ... if you are on DCS Stable be sure to update to this version:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/stable/2.5.5.41371.1/

Best regards

Thank you very much for this - very helpful :thumbup:

Good news on the activations being gone too.

Cheers all