Carrier Spawn Overweight Bug Back

sLYFa

I've noticed that under some circumstances the nasty bug where the Tomcat gets several thousand pounds of ghost weight added upon spawning on the carrier deck is still present.

This happend so far only in MP: When you chose a slot on the Supercarrier and if it decides that for whatever reason there is no place to spawn for you, you get the delayed flight message. Once you actually spawn (usually if another AC takes off) your Tomcat will be overweight with the following symptoms:

A lot of power (up to 90%) is neccesary to get her rolling.

Settles heavily during cat launch.

15AoA speed in landing config is seriously off. With 54000lbs, onspeed is 152kts while it should be 140. Moreover, it can barely maintain those 152kts at just below MIL power.

Unfortunately, I can't provide more hard data since I could not reproduce this in SP, but in MP, this happens everytime my flight gets delayed.

One more interesting thing is that leaving the server and rejoining doesn't help. If your flight got delayed on the SC, you will get ghost weight unless you restart DCS.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

I experienced this issue as well yesterday in MP on supercarrier.

Was told that flight was delayed. When I got a slot I found that the jet took a huge amount of engine power to get rolling.

The others made fun of me and asked if I had remembered to remove the parking brake. XD

Does it feel like the aircraft is like 2-3 times heavier than it should be? I think I encountered this bug while trying to fix the kneel switch. I was spawning from parking hot on the old Stennis, kneeled and hooked up to a shuttle and launched, dropped like a rock even with full aft stick. It happens every time. If I spawn hot on the runway/catapult everything behaves like normal. Let me know if you can reproduce this!

Edited by fat creason

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

Based on my approach config experiments, it should be about 8000lbs overweight.

I havent tried on the old stennis. Will try as soon as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just seen to bug again. MP flight from the supercarrier. Required a lot of power to start taxing. Returning to the boat with half gun ammo left and 5000 lbs of fuel, on-speed was 145-150 kts with DLC out. Had trouble to maintain altitude in the turns of the pattern. My friend who flew the same sortie (host) and pretty much did the same things had no issues (on-speed about 15 kts less with 1000 lbs more fuel).

Yeah we're trying to figure out what's going on. Seems like something has changed on the ED side and I've only seen it happen from parking spawns on the Stennis, never on the Super Carrier.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

• 2 months later...

Guys can you please look into this? I've had this bug now everytime I got "delayed" when spawning on the SC. I'm not able to reproduce unfortunately since I can't get behind the SC's respawn delay logic. Really messes up squad missions when the deck is populated

Can you describe what exactly happened, as in how much overweight it felt, or if you couldnt launch at all, etc?

We thought this had "fixed itself" in the meantime, we did several tests with our testers to compare both carriers but couldn't reproduce it anymore.

If the delay thing is at fault, I fear it's not even on our side, I don't know the exact logic behind it either. If it is ED side, we'll need a track to show it to them. (Not to put you off, but I know they will ask us in return for it, so whenever it happens again, please save the track if short enough.)

Thanks for the report!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Basically these are the symptoms

A lot of power (up to 90%) is neccesary to get her rolling.

Settles heavily during cat launch.

15AoA speed in landing config is seriously off. With 54000lbs, onspeed is 152kts while it should be 140. Moreover, it can barely maintain those 152kts at just below MIL power.

I remember there was a bug where the internal fuel weight was initialized times two when spawning on the Stennis. Based on my limited testing, the plane is approx 10klbs overweight when getting delayed on the SC, which roughly what is held in the internal tanks (i.e. without wing and ext tanks). I will try to provide a track.

Thanks! We will wait till the upcoming patch and see if it "goes away" again (as it did before, since we didnt change anything on our side), if not we will raise the priority for it.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, the bug still exists in 2.5.6.59626. Good news is that I have finally been able to reproduce it.

As far as I can tell, the bug occurs:

• only in multiplayer,
  • only as a client,
  • definitely on the carrier, and possibly on airfields (didn't test the latter),
  • only when spawning from ramp.

Steps to reproduce:

• create a mission where spawn time is after mission start time,
  • fresh start DCS on server and client,
  • start server,
  • connect as client and join into the first F-14, click "Briefing" and "Fly" before spawn time (spawn time is 45 seconds after mission start time in the attached example),
  • observe the "Your Flight is Delayed to Start" message (the bug also occurs when a different aircraft is preventing your spawn temporarily, setting spawn time after mission start time just is the easiest way to reproduce the bug),
  • hit "ESC", "Select Role", select the second F-14, hit "Briefing" and "Fly",
  • wait for the spawn,
  • do an automatic startup (the bug occurs with a manual startup as well, however with an automatic startup we exclude non-standardized player input),
  • release the parking brake,
  • advance throttles,
  • note that it takes approximately 92% RPM (95% RPM in the F2 view) to break free of your parking position (without the bug it only takes approximately 80% RPM (85% in the F2 view)) to start rolling,
  • taxi to the CAT and launch,
  • note an AoA spike to approximately 27° (25° in F2) during launch (without the bug, max AoA is 15° (14° in the F2 view)), probably indicating an out-of-limits aft CG location,
  • note a sluggish acceleration to 300 KIAS.

I have attached 4 tracks to illustrate the problem; 2 server tracks and 2 client tracks. The bugged client track immediately desyncs after brake release since during replay the aircraft is non-bugged, therefore the excessive power setting necessary to break free of the parking position translates to the aircraft running over the edge of the deck.

Note that the spawn delay by itself it not the cause of the problem, since when simply waiting until your aircraft spawns without selecting a different slot, the bug does not occur.

server-20210127-131858_without_bug.trk overweightbug-20210127-131809_without_bug.trk server-20210127-102604_with_bug.trk overweightbug-20210127-102511_with_bug.trk

Edited by Bestandskraft
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, fat creason said:

Ask ED about this one, it comes and goes with no changes in our code.

Negative. It never "went" anywhere. It's been persistent for approximately 9-10 months now.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII