Problems with VIACOM - AIRIO

Sandman1330

Hey guys,

I've posted this in the Viacom section and gotten no response.

Before I submit an official support ticket, I'd like to ask the community if there are easy fixes / things I'm doing wrong here. Original post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=275087

1. How do I get Jester to "tune tac" for a radio frequency? I can't find a command, and it would take longer to look up the frequency and read it out to him than it would just to use the wheel to "tune tac";

2. How do I get Jester to "tune tac" for the new Supercarrier TACAN? It doesn't show up in the list. Same as above, manual tuning defeats the purpose;

3. What if I have more than three tankers in my mission, and therefore need to re-use Texaco (ie Texaco 1-1, Texaco 2-1, Texaco 3-1) because I've already used Arco and Shell;

4. Is there any way to get the Jester wheel back for times when my spoken message just isn't getting through?

5. I am getting no response oftentimes from valid commands. Jester responds affirmative when I tell him to tune the Stennis TACAN, but he doesn't actually do it - or worse, he puts in the wrong frequency! I notice this with tankers especially - I say "tacan tune arco" and he tunes up Shell! Or "tacan tune shell" and I get Arco!

6. Realistic ATC - Doing a Case III, the readback from the player of the marshall instructions is wrong, commence time comes up as 00 every time and I think the DME was wrong too. It seems the entire comms has been shortened, is there a way to disable this and stick with the default DCS calls?

7. SRS integration - I have set it up per the manual, but I am still not clear about what steps to take in cockpit. If I want to make an SRS call, what do I do differently than if I want to make a VAICOM command?

8. Calling for "Status" or "interrogate" activates triggers within my mission. Those triggers are usually done as additional items from the F10 menu (spawning AI fighters). The triggers are all vanilla editor, done by turning flags on/off via F10 menu.

9. Even when having Jester manually tune a tanker frequency, as soon as I request rejoin ("approaching for refuel"), the frequency changes automatically to the frequency of one of the OTHER tankers, not the one I want to use! "Select tunes radio" and "instant select" are unchecked in settings, easy comms in mission on or off makes no difference.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Not sure if I understand your questions, but the back of the VAICOM manual has a keyword reference with a TACAN section. Use "TACAN tune Texaco" works I think. The "TACAN tune ___" works at least for what they have listed. You have to say the military alphabet though.

Not sure if I understand your questions, but the back of the VAICOM manual has a keyword reference with a TACAN section. Use "TACAN tune Texaco" works I think. The "TACAN tune ___" works at least for what they have listed. You have to say the military alphabet though.

Thanks for responding.

I have no problem with Voiceattack understanding my commands (I manually added “TACAN Tune” to windows speech recognition).

One of my problems is that Vaicom can’t tell the difference between Texaco 2-1 and Texaco 1-1, which are different tankers. My mission I use for testing has 5 tankers, so I have Shell 1-1, Arco 1-1, and Texaco 1-1, 2-1 and 3-1. Something in this breaks Jester’s ability to tune tacan, because he tunes the wrong frequency every time. I tell him to tune Arco, and he tunes Shell, etc. All of this worked fine with the jester wheel.

This is just one of the many questions I had in my OP, but it seems to be the one you were looking to clarify?

The biggest problem I have now is auto tune seems stuck on, I can’t get it to stop tuning my radios on me despite having those options turned off... more for the vaicom forum as it happens in the hornet too.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I'm not super familiar with the "Tune TAC" option yet, but is it essentially a shortcut for tuning more than one system to a particular destination? i.e. RIO radio, data link, and tacan?

I believe the tacan's in the mission editor can be configured with unique three letter codes AND "frequencies", they probably need to be, but I don't know. i.e. LAS and LSV I think are Nellis and McCarran at 12X and something else (might have that backwards). If those are the same (default) for more than one tanker in the mission...perhaps you'll see unexpected behavior.

Does the TAC menu auto-populate with the assets in the mission?

Yeah, in the wheel you can just tell jester to tune up the stennis, or an airfield, or a specific tanker, and he will tune the comm radio to the right frequency. A similar command exists for tacan. In vaicom, the comm radio is not implemented yet, but the tacan version is.

I have the same issue with AIRIO - Voice Attack detects my words correctly, AIRIO doesn't then interpret them correctly. I gave up after several hours of troubleshooting.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I have the same issue with AIRIO - Voice Attack detects my words correctly, AIRIO doesn't then interpret them correctly. I gave up after several hours of troubleshooting.

I think AIRIO is due for an update. I’ve voiced the issue to the dev and I think he is going to take a look at it.

• 2 weeks later...
i've tried it with AIRIo but it don't understand nothing...i think it's bugged

Perhaps if you asked for help on the Vaicom Pro subforum, https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=733, you might have more chance to get it working.

I see that you have posted on that forum today, for the first time, but with no indication of the problems you are apparently stating here.

MS Speech recognition, which is required by VoiceAttack and thus Vaicom Pro, does require a fairly significant investment of time, to get it to understand your voice and to suggest that it must be bugged because you have yet to ask why it doesn't, is hardly fair.

others commands work well...atc, ground crew ecc...but i've no response from ai Rio ..so it's not a mic problem....official support doesn't respond...and i've no found solution on manual

Symptom AIRIO commands not recognized / executed

Cause AIRIO dll not installed

Remedy Download from website

Cause AIRIO not enabled

Remedy Enable AIRIO (EX tab), restart VA and DCS

Cause Keywords not updated in VA profile

Remedy Apply FINISH steps

Just to make sure that you had seen the FAQ, the above looks like it will provide at least a good start towards a solution.

If none of the above works, if you could post a VA log in a new thread on the VP subforum, that would provide some clues as to whether VA is not recognising your spoken commands or whether there is a break somewhere between VP and DCS, once it has recognised the command.

Symptom AIRIO commands not recognized / executed

Cause AIRIO dll not installed

Remedy Download from website

Cause AIRIO not enabled

Remedy Enable AIRIO (EX tab), restart VA and DCS

Cause Keywords not updated in VA profile

Remedy Apply FINISH steps

Just to make sure that you had seen the FAQ, the above looks like it will provide at least a good start towards a solution.

If none of the above works, if you could post a VA log in a new thread on the VP subforum, that would provide some clues as to whether VA is not recognising your spoken commands or whether there is a break somewhere between VP and DCS, once it has recognised the command.

Just do everything above...but it don't recognize anithing...ai rio is the unique extension that doesn't work

Do you have it enabled in the vaicom settings? Also, the finish steps are vital to get correct, they are explained in the manual.

With some help from the dev and the community, I’ve gotten AIRIO working to an acceptable level. However, there are still some missing features that the dev was receptive to looking at, so I’m hoping for an eventual improvement.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone managed to get the AIRIO to actually lock a tgt/s whilst in TWS Mode, it would appear that the only time I can get a lock is by using PAL.

Most of the time he says unable,

BVR with the PHOENIX is not doable

Has anyone managed to get the AIRIO to actually lock a tgt/s whilst in TWS Mode, it would appear that the only time I can get a lock is by using PAL.

Most of the time he says unable,

BVR with the PHOENIX is not doable

I might be totally wrong on how this works, but you don't have to 'lock targets' (like in STT) for a Phoenix launch. You need to have Jester put the radar in TWS mode, and then select the Phoenix. Watch the targets on the scope: the radar automatically prioritizes and assigns them numbers, and when it's done you get the 'hot trigger' light on the ACM panel. Then you just pick your range for a better hit probability, and start shooting when you're ready. I usually don't let a Phoenix go at more than 60 NM, especially against a smaller target.

Any of you RIO wizards types out there can correct me here, but this is how I do it and it works, although I don't seem to score a great many hits with the Phoenix.

Yup, just wait for jester to sort and IFF the targets, and you will get the target number on the right side of the target symbol. I usually engage inside 45 miles for fighter targets, and get consistent hits. Remember you need to hold the trigger for 3 seconds for each missile. After you fire one, the radar will automatically switch to the next target, so you can just keep pulling the trigger (3 secs each time!) until you are out of phoenixes.

I remember seeing a video about it some time ago, I think this was it (though I haven’t rewatched to verify)

TL;DR: it’s probably not an AIRIO issue, but you could try the command “radar mode TWS” to ensure he is in TWS.

Remember you need to hold the trigger for 3 seconds for each missile. After you fire one, the radar will automatically switch to the next target, so you can just keep pulling the trigger (3 secs each time!) until you are out of phoenixes.

Interesting, I didn't know about that part. What's the reason for the 3-sec hold on the trigger? Does it have to do with letting the computer cycle over to the next target?

Interesting, I didn't know about that part. What's the reason for the 3-sec hold on the trigger? Does it have to do with letting the computer cycle over to the next target?

It’s something to do with data transfer from the fire control system to the missile I think.

It’s something to do with data transfer from the fire control system to the missile I think.

Hmm. Cool. Well, I'll have to give that a whirl and see if I can't knock my kill-count with the Phoenix up a bit. :thumbup: