Help re landing

Have you watched this:

You definitely do not want to use ATC at anytime in the landing pattern. Practice flying "on-speed", this is a balancing act that specifically requires manual and continuous throttle adjustments particularly in turns and descending in the groove. No shame in extending the downwind leg to fine tune your line up to the deck. I have probably done this over 1500 times and still don't get it perfect every pass.

From that discussion thread linked above you might get the impression of the need to gun the throttle "at the ramp". I recommend flying the "ball" to the deck "on-speed", then immediately go full after burner. Going AB to early will result in a bolter or missed wire, most of the time. Some others may disagree.

I do not think the AI LSO is perfect by any stretch but be your own LSO. Read the PDF on recovery operations and understand the grading criteria, then watch replays of your traps and analyze what you are doing wrong from the LSO station.

Edited by mjolner

Hi guys

I’m have a nightmare getting a waveoff every landing! The biggest issue seems to be under speed or over speed! Are you all using the ATH on finals? This is harder than landing my real plane haha!

You're not the only one! Hats off to naval aviators- I have done some practicing on dry land just so I can get used to trimming to AOA. Might help when it comes to the real thing. Practice costs the taxpayers nothing in DCS.:smilewink:

Hi man.

I also have a playlist on my channel of several real Carrier Qualification videos. Try to observe where in the carrier the pilots put their velocity vectors in the final. Good training!

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.

Whilst other posts have addressed the technicalities of landing, let me take it another way.

Frame rates; when I moved to super carrier I noticed some odd behaviour in the groove, which was a bit of jerkiness and an inability to hold on speed in the final part of the groove after the ball call...

What was the problem I play in vr, and the frame rates were going below 45, not buy a lot, 38 and then back up to 50 and so on, yes motion smoothing is enabled, and it was always in the groove... guess what shadows were on... turn them off and I also replaced the static models On deck with f/a-18c’s rather than. Block 20’s and my next pass was an _OK_ 3 wire...

So yes do all of the things you need to do to land but also make sure you have enough FPS to do it accurately... and turn off shadows...or whatever

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg