Altimiter questions

ramtsi

Ok, so i'm kinda confused regarding the altimeter:

It's in metric, right? If so, what are the different numbers on it - inner\outer dials?

What are the small - not numbered markings (small hand), and what are the large (and numbered) ones?

Thanks.

Why don't you just take a look at the manual where this is very well explained (see attached picture from the manual)?

2116892346_FishbedBarometermanual.thumb.PNG.6eccaa797622b5377b588508b139697f.PNG

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

One of DCS shortcomings is that the manuals are somewhat hidden .. wonder why ED doesn’t put a button on the modules’s icon, to open its manual From within the game.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

One of DCS shortcomings is that the manuals are somewhat hidden .. wonder why ED doesn’t put a button on the modules’s icon, to open its manual From within the game.

They're in the Documents folder of each module, which is the first place where I would search if I wanted to look for a module specific manual. Not really what I would call hidden :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

They're in the Documents folder of each module, which is the first place where I would search if I wanted to look for a module specific manual. Not really what I would call hidden :huh:

I’ve talked with many players that are not as computer-literate like you, for whom that is not the first place to look at .. why make things difficult for newcomers when there are easier ways?

:noexpression:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Outer is hundreds of metres, inner is thousands of metres (kilometres).

If you read the inner needle on the outer scale you get a pretty close estimate of your alt in tens of thousands of feet, which is a handy little coincidence if you're dealing with players flying NATO stuff over comms. I don't believe it was intentional as neither the USSR nor any of its close allies used imperial at all, but it also holds true for the MiG-23 and 29 as they use the same instrument. The MiG-19's has a different scale and so this trick doesn't work there.

Perhaps having a 'manuals' subfolder with all installed modules' manuals in the DCS start menu folder would be great.

rossmum, that's an interesting observation. I want to think it is on purpose but it is probably a happy accident as one trip around the outer dial is "10" and the inner dial is a little more than 30 and the ratio of feet to meter is 3.048. The ratio of inner to outer scale is more like 31.5:10 instead. It's pretty good for 0-40kft though!

In photos it can be seen the inner scale is stamped so it's not like it was wiggle room for hand painting the calibration of scales. They knew it exactly before construction. Why not make the ratio exact to return to "0" at "30" similar to VD-20? Possibly gear teeth ratios were available in large supply that was close enough. Maybe gap was chosen as a deliberate feature.

As for stray index... why not developer just make them transparent textures? That would remove them from view with minimal work.

For manual files, any software design which requires user to open up folder structure is less professional from the start. Ideally the user only interacts with a program by the UI of the program itself and the OS's features like shortcuts, install/uninstall. This would be a feature of DCS World itself.

Thanks guys you helped me a lot. To be honest, I read the manual inside out - a couple of times. Also the one from chucks, and still had a difficulty understanding some of even the simplest of instruments. Maybe its my ADD... Anyway, I get the most help on these forums. So thanks again!