Fate of american aircraft in LockOn 1.1 ?

Chizh, can you comment the recent events with American planes in IL-2 Pacific Fighters and how it may affect Flaming Cliffs release date and contents.

If you are to remove them, will you have to remove AI american planes as well ?

I don't fly them myself, but I am sure our western simmers are getting concerned in the light of recent events.

How would PF affect ED? I don't see ...

EDIT : I was not aware of the news behind... Now I may see (sry, slow brain) :) Forget about my comment.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

I seriously doubt aircraft manufacturers are getting into copyright issues...until I see someone credible confirm, it goes on the list of yet another silly forum-rumour. Many avid posters on SimHQ and Ubi seem to enjoy the idea that their $40 entertainment product is the centre of the world.

I can see the issue that some companies don't like Maddox using their original documents to make money...but I saw someone suggest that Pratt&Whitney were angry because Maddox was modelling their performance.... :roll:

I wonder how much Valve paid Colt?

In the worst case...I don't mind a (virtual) civil war breaking out in the Crimea. :D

Well there has to be slightly more than rumour about it. The F-104 has been taken out of Strike Fighters Gold for example, apparently on direct request of Lockheed-Martin. And I couldn't think of any other reasons why Oleg rules out the inclusion of any more US planes from a certain manufacturer into PF independent of the model status, so legal issues seem the most "rational" explanation. With other genres like racing games, similar issues have already occured long ago.

I agree though that we still don't know enough hard facts to draw conclusions here, and I'd hate to see a similar panic break out here like on other boards. This may be an irritating trend, but not necessarily someting that cannot be handled.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

I spoke with someone today who has some experience of these issues.

Generally, the aircraft manufacturers do not pursue these actions themselves. Rather, they come together and hire a separate representative agency, whose only professional function is to actively search for infringements and extract licensing fees.

In general, parts of the aircraft names can be trademarked, but other parts cannot, and are freely available - and of course this agency which is after your money won't help to advise you, which is which. Your company must have its own experts. Small companies, such as the makers of Fly! and PF, may not have enough resources to navigate these obstacles, but I think ED may be lucky, with some good people to help them avoid problems. "Keep you tranquility." :wink:

-SK

Guest ThomasDWeiss

If they start to forbid their products from appearing in flight simulations these companies will only guarantee that they are forgotten - and anger those enthusiasts that would like to fly them.

• ED Team

It in any way has not mentioned us while.

If to us any charges will be showed, we shall search for an way out from a situation. While it does not concern our project in any way.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Guest ThomasDWeiss
It in any way has not mentioned us while.

If to us any charges will be showed, we shall search for an way out from a situation. While it does not concern our project in any way.

Great news ! I was starting to worry.

Well there has to be slightly more than rumour about it. The F-104 has been taken out of Strike Fighters Gold for example, apparently on direct request of Lockheed-Martin. And I couldn't think of any other reasons why Oleg rules out the inclusion of any more US planes from a certain manufacturer into PF independent of the model status, so legal issues seem the most "rational" explanation. With other genres like racing games, similar issues have already occured long ago.

I agree though that we still don't know enough hard facts to draw conclusions here, and I'd hate to see a similar panic break out here like on other boards. This may be an irritating trend, but not necessarily someting that cannot be handled.

Sorry, I've been away for a while... What's this story about?

Did it really happen that to the F-104????

Are flight sims gonna be like sports and racing games?

I wonder how much Valve paid Colt?

I guess the problem can be seen another way... how much Colt would pay for Valve to keep one of their products in the game? Since it's quite an advertisement, Colt should pay for it... same for aircraft manufacturers, car constructors,... :roll:

Game developpers can EASILY just model planes of more conciliating constructors. Maybe would it even be more interesting to fly.

"Heroism is the only way to get famous when you got no talent" Pierre Desproges

"Whether fifty millions people say a stupid thing,

it's still a stupid thing." Anatole France

Colt should pay for it... same for aircraft manufacturers, car constructors,... :roll:

Hmmm..not sure about the case of Colt, but do you think Russia sells more MiG-29s becuase of Lock On? Or do you think ED sells more copies of Lock On because of the MiG-29...? :wink:

Anyway, guess I have to retract my first statement....I should know better than to underestimate American lawyers. A good argument for a Royal Air Force Harrier addon. :D

A good argument for a Royal Air Force Harrier addon. :D

The Harrier is by McDonnel Douglas, at least the latest versions (AV-8B-C-D-E) and Gr.5-7. If BAe is involved in building them for UK I think it's just because it's been authorized to do so.

But can someone please explain that thing about the F-104? An aircraft built in 1958 has really been canceled from a flight sim because of copyrights?

If this is true in a short time we will have to resurrect Julius Caesar to ask him if we can use his character in a RTS game about Rome. :toimonst:

The Harrier is by McDonnel Douglas, at least the latest versions (AV-8B-C-D-E) and Gr.5-7. If BAe is involved in building them for UK I think it's just because it's been authorized to do so.

Shame on you! The Harrier is as British as Ceylon tea and Chicken Tikka! :lol:

Actually the fact that Chizh said it won't matter for their next project which makes me thing they'll either not add NATO planes or even remove the current ones ... I sure how this isn't the case ... we'd really like to see some more NATO planes; while not all people are interested in a specific plane, LOMAC is unique in simulating a relatively hi-fi combat environemnt with opposing forces online which is absolutely great, and I'd hate to see this go away.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda