Question about the various Liveries folders

jmarso

I've noticed there is one in the saved games folder, on in the main game folder, and yet a third in the 'Bazar' folder. Can anyone explain the relevance of the three, and what goes where (generally speaking), and why?

I'm assuming all 'mod' liveries can go in the saved games folder, but from the time I was a noob until now I think I've been sticking various livery mods all over the place. I'd like to get straightened out on what's what.

Bazar: Older art assets for the core game are in there. Dates back to LOMAC era even if the models aren't that old.

Coremods: Eventually ED started adding models in a more modular file structure, so any 3rd party and most new models and other relevant files get added there. For example lua files to define the AI aircraft, new weapons, etc in addition to the models, textures, and sounds.

Saved games/DCS/FolderName for the most part mimics your main install. This is where any custom object mods and liveries should go. The idea being running cleanup or updating the game won't overwrite the files, you know everything in there are mods, and the files generally won't cause an integrity check failure.

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

to ask a sub question. some of the skins made by users for A-10C II have to go in the main game folder instead of saved games to show as a skin as a choice. why is this? i have other user skins for other AC in saved games without problems. thanks

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

They don't "have to" go there per se. You can put them in either of these two locations really and they should work anyway, as long as they have correctly defined "countries" parameters, and user chooses the right country in mission editor.

It's just some skin makers are used to placing skins in Saved Games, while the others prefer main game folder and write their readmes and instructions accordingly. Both solutions have their advantages and disadvantages.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.