Airstart Bucking

So, I'm quite new to the Bf-109, but I've flown the P-51D and Spitfire for years and have many hours in each.

It seems that no matter how slow I start the Bf-109 in the ME, when clicking the [FLY] button, the 109 immediately starts to buck like and SOB and only calms down when I add nose-down trim. Again, whether starting at 400 kmh or 200 kmh, the results is the same -- just at 400 kmh the bucking is more pronounced.

Is this normal?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

DCS 109 is neutral in pitch only up to about 390-410 kph with full nose down trim and econo power setting of about 1.1 ATA. Empty MW50 tank helps, so does half fuel load.

Anything else will make it pitch up more or less and I think airstart missions always have the trim set to zero?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks for the answer ARt-J :thumbup:

To paraphrase... someone... 'hmmm'.

I guess I've just been spoiled by the P-51 and the Spitfire and now have to live with more sloppy modules :(

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I think airstart missions always have the trim set to zero?

Yes, elevator trim in air start is set to "0" this will pitch up bf109 hard.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

It was a nuisance to me as well. But since the Bf-109 has only one throttle lever and my TM WH throttle has two, I use my left throttle lever for the Trim axis. And that lever of course is fully forward at start of mission.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 11/28/2020 at 10:32 PM, Captain Orso said:

Thanks for the answer ARt-J :thumbup:

To paraphrase... someone... 'hmmm'.

I guess I've just been spoiled by the P-51 and the Spitfire and now have to live with more sloppy modules 😞

There is yet to be a sloppy module like the Spitfire. 109 is a masterpiece compared to it.

The airstart parameters of the Bf-109 for the trim axis should be changed to fully nose-down. Unfortunately that's not how ED has set it up.
Calling it a "sloppy module" for that reason seems totally out of proportion to me. I would certainly advocate a change to be made by ED.

But in the meantime, this is very easy to deal with. Please remember that airstart is a totally unrealistic scenario that ED provides for more immediate fun.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Maybe it is a bit overboard to say the module is sloppy, but I cannot understand the mentality to neglect something like elevator trim when at ever single air-start it slaps the player in the face to say, 'we don't care how much this taints your experience every time you air-start'. I just don't get it.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, Captain Orso said:

Maybe it is a bit overboard to say the module is sloppy, but I cannot understand the mentality to neglect something like elevator trim when at ever single air-start it slaps the player in the face to say, 'we don't care how much this taints your experience every time you air-start'. I just don't get it.

I seem to recall that in the mission editor there's an option to configure the aircraft in an air start.  I think it's in the same menu as the fly mission, and it basically puts you into active pause so you can configure the plane, then you exit back to the editor to save those settings.   I may have details wrong given that it's been years since I've used that feature, as it's generally easier to just put the plane in a position and at a speed where there's enough time and space for the pilot to configure the aircraft to their own tastes.

It may not be the module that you need to direct your ire at, but a mission author that is cutting corners. 

Though to be honest, it has been so long that I can't say for certain that aircraft configuration as a feature still exists, as the ME has gone through several major updates since I last used that feature.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.