A little help with AGM 65E ?

dburne

10 hours ago, dburne said:

Thanks - Yes I tried turning on the FLIR, but that second switch you mentioned would not turn on, it kept kicking back to off.

Maybe because I was using Jtac to lase the target?

I think my problem must lie in with this mission using Jtac to do the lasing, and the guide I am using is not telling me exactly what to do in this case - as was previously mentioned above.

Don, it would be so much easier for us all to see what is going on if you posted a track.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

13 hours ago, Zyll said:

My recommendation is to learn the laser Maverick with self lasing first, and that should (hopefully) correlate with what you are reading in Chuck's guide, and seeing in Wag's video. The JTAC is just adding more complexity to your situation, and understandable frustration. Working with AI JTAC is a whole other category of material to learn.

So hop in a mission with easy to find ground targets, and load up with AGM65E and a litening pod, and then you should be able to follow the instructions.

Good luck!

This, as I said in earlier reply. Sorry, did not get time to post the mission, but will 100% do this and some others for you at end of the week. I have tried that JTAC mission and had a frustrating time with it. Its easier practicing with someone in real life, I can hook up online over the weekend if you like, could do with the practice myself...

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

10 hours ago, pete_auau said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytxo5Tbl-5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOjSJDcj6bI&list=PL3kOAM2N1YJc5x-z99XdX-XxWg4I0Of-a&index=64&t=88s

As  what  has been  said  before if  your  using  a  3rd  party  to laze   for  you  you dont  need  worry  about  turning  on  your  flir,  since  you  wont  be  using  it. 

You mention  the  second  switch  being  kick  back  again  you need  to be  in  a/g   and  have  master  arm  on

so  in the  above  mention  utubes  what  are  you  doing  thats  not  being  shown

Thanks much will check those out a little later this morning.

Definitely was in A/G Mode and Master Arm was on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 hours ago, pete_auau said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOjSJDcj6bI&list=PL3kOAM2N1YJc5x-z99XdX-XxWg4I0Of-a&index=64&t=88s

As  what  has been  said  before if  your  using  a  3rd  party  to laze   for  you  you dont  need  worry  about  turning  on  your  flir,  since  you  wont  be  using  it. 

You mention  the  second  switch  being  kick  back  again  you need  to be  in  a/g   and  have  master  arm  on

so  in the  above  mention  utubes  what  are  you  doing  thats  not  being  shown

Ok I watched the videos, and like the one Wags has up that I watched, it is a whole lot simpler than the steps I was going through utilizing Chuck's guide. Obviously the difference being the target is being lased by Jtac versus using a FLIR pod. That is what I did not realize on my attempts at first using the guide.

Feeling pretty good about it now, so will try later on this morning and advise. If not I will grab the trk file.

Unfortunately have to do my grocery run first this morning, will update later on today.

Thanks again to all for the great feedback!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, Gripes323 said:

By all means, you can't be simming around on empty stomach 😉

LOL ok I am back and groceries put away, time to get down to business.

I will review those two videos again and see if I can't make these Maverick's work using Jtac.

It would have been nice I guess if the guide had separated the two different methods out.  Might have saved me some time on learning this one. But hey those guides are most awesome and I sure ain't complaining, they are helping me immensely as I go through this learning curve. All other games are on hold until I finally learn this bird. Thankfully I am retired which helps.

Edited by dburne

Don B

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

LOL ok I am back and groceries put away, time to get down to business.

I will review those two videos again and see if I can't make these Maverick's work using Jtac.

It would have been nice I guess if the guide had separated the two different methods out.  Might have saved me some time on learning this one. But hey those guides are most awesome and I sure ain't complaining, they are helping me immensely as I go through this learning curve. All other games are on hold until I finally learn this bird. Thankfully I am retired which helps.

Sorry to ask again, but why don't you post a track?  Easy for us all to see the issue then.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

15 hours ago, pete_auau said:

👍

Woohoo, that did it! I just destroyed all three targets on that island in this mission - piece of cake!

I just watched the video a couple of times, and did as he did. Did not need the guide for this one, and obviously it was confusing me.

Can't believe it was this easy and I struggled all afternoon yesterday with it. Duh!

I use Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro so that makes my communicating easy.

I like using Jtac to lase the target for sure. So giving that, should I still take the time to learn the targeting pod method for the Maverick?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help for my dumb butt !!

Edited by dburne

Don B

33 minutes ago, dburne said:

👍

I like using Jtac to lase the target for sure. So giving that, should I still take the time to learn the targeting pod method for the Maverick?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help for my dumb butt !!

I think that's a must, Jtac won't always be there, plus, launching and lasing your own mavericks is cool, you can hit whatever target you want, where you want.  Enjoy :p

32 minutes ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

I think that's a must, Jtac won't always be there, plus, launching and lasing your own mavericks is cool, you can hit whatever target you want, where you want.  Enjoy 😛

Ok thanks, I will proceed with the Mavericks by learning to use the targeting pod.

Found a mission in Nevada for practice, looks like it employs both the E and the F so I will take them both on next.

Hopefully the E has a targeting pod.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Well not finding any missions using the 65E with targeting pod, so went and did one with 65F's, handled them just fine.

Progress baby!

Don B

Just now, dburne said:

Well not finding any missions using the 65E with targeting pod, so went and did one with 65F's, handled them just fine.

Progress baby!

Don, just load the missions into ME and add the TPOD. 

8 minutes ago, imacken said:

Don, just load the missions into ME and add the TPOD. 

Thanks - Well I would but that would require me to do some studying on how to use the ME LOL.

Having too much fun blowing stuff up finally!

Don B

Here you go, Don. 4 of the standard Mav missions with the TPOD added in.

Mav Missions.zip

6 minutes ago, imacken said:

Mav Missions.zip 212.51 kB · 1 download

👍

Thank you so very much for taking the time to do this! This will be my goal for tomorrow learn how to use that targeting  pod.

I learned the 65F's and the 88C Harms today. 

Don B

45 minutes ago, dburne said:

👍

Thank you so very much for taking the time to do this! This will be my goal for tomorrow learn how to use that targeting  pod.

Talking about that, Spudknocker has just upload a video about the TGP, with great advises in how to fly while using the pod, worth having a look!!!!  🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP5Je0LVDfU

Edited by AKULA_OPTIMUS

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Thanks - Well I would but that would require me to do some studying on how to use the ME LOL.

I'm also learning the Hornet's various systems/sensors/weapons and highly recommend taking a bit of time to learn the mission editor.  It's really not that difficult and should take less than 30 minutes to figure out how to set up a simple test mission for yourself.  As with the Hornet, start small.  Maybe just your Hornet and nothing else.  Play around with waypoints and/or loadouts.  From there, you can create test missions to go along with the material you're covering at that time by adding other elements.

I've always been the type that learns best from doing and using the ME to set up scenarios where I can see how things work has been invaluable to my learning process.

14 minutes ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

Talking about that, Spudknocker has just upload a video about the TGP, with great advises in how to fly while using the pod, worth having a look!!!!  🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP5Je0LVDfU

Will do thanks much for this!

7 minutes ago, Smashy said:

I'm also learning the Hornet's various systems/sensors/weapons and highly recommend taking a bit of time to learn the mission editor.  It's really not that difficult and should take less than 30 minutes to figure out how to set up a simple test mission for yourself.  As with the Hornet, start small.  Maybe just your Hornet and nothing else.  Play around with waypoints and/or loadouts.  From there, you can create test missions to go along with the material you're covering at that time by adding other elements.

I've always been the type that learns best from doing and using the ME to set up scenarios where I can see how things work has been invaluable to my learning process.

Yeah I have already been through all the navigation stuff, creating waypoints, using TACAN and ILCS. 

Now my focus is on weapons. I will certainly take a look at the ME here soon.

Still much to learn but finally making some good progress!

Edited by dburne

Don B

15 hours ago, dburne said:

glad  that  you  got  the  mave   sorted   you  probably  got  to  involved  in  the  guide  🙂   anyway  there  is  a little  much study in  doing  and  settings  things  up  in  me   but  once  you  done  your  first mission   in me  the  rest  will follow  quite  easily  and  there  are  heaps on things  you  can  do  in  me,  just  do a search  on utubes  on  dcs mission  editor  and  it  will bring  up  heaps  but   this one  by  spudknocker  is  pretty  good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hEi-fVQbc

43 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

glad  that  you  got  the  mave   sorted   you  probably  got  to  involved  in  the  guide  🙂   anyway  there  is  a little  much study in  doing  and  settings  things  up  in  me   but  once  you  done  your  first mission   in me  the  rest  will follow  quite  easily  and  there  are  heaps on things  you  can  do  in  me,  just  do a search  on utubes  on  dcs mission  editor  and  it  will bring  up  heaps  but   this one  by  spudknocker  is  pretty  good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hEi-fVQbc

Thanks much! I have that video saved to my favorites now for future studying, I am sure it will come in very handy.

Today is devoted to learning the Targeting Pod for the Maverick.

Don B

I still suck using the pod. But the good thing is that it is used for several different arms. I hope that, when I get better at it, I will find using it for arm B won't much different than using it for arm A. A couple days ago I downloaded a user campaign called Eastern Friendship. And wouldn't you know it the 2nd mission uses an 82LG. ( why the he11 do we need two names for every dang bomb or missile? 82LG is a dumb 82 w/ a laser guide package attached which makes total sense. But in their infinite wisdom it is also called an AGM12. An AIM9M shows as a 9M on the stores wingform, ok good, but a 120C shows as an AC, jeez) The target in the campaign mission is set as a waypoint so I was trying to just drop it as a dumb bomb but couldn't get that to work. Maybe I messed that up on my own, but anyway, now I will start working w/ lasing w/ the pod. I have a couple of simple missions I built so I could practice w/o being shot at so yesterday I added a warehouse, and then an 82LG to the plane, to which I had already added a pod. But trying to find that warehouse, YIKES. The F10 map looks a little different than the map in the ME, and different than looking out the from plane's cockpit, and different than the pod's pic. Later I am going back to the ME to see if I can change the warehouse color to make it stand out better. I can sure see how some fighters use a WISO to deal w/ all this stuff.

19 hours ago, imacken said:

Mav Missions.zip 212.51 kB · 5 downloads

Ok so just completed my first run in the Persian Gulf mission with the 65E.

Got my first Maverick off ok and blew up the target. Having a little problem being able to launch subsequent Mavs though, need to go back through the steps and determine which ones I need to repeat to launch the next Mav. I will get it though!

Thanks again much appreciated!

Edit: It is also not letting me assign my own code to the weapon and then the targeting pod, I think it inherited the code from the original mission with Jtac - 1688 - at least that is what I have to enter to get it to fire a missile.

Edited by dburne

Don B

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

Ok so just completed my first run in the Persian Gulf mission with the 65E.

Got my first Maverick off ok and blew up the target. Having a little problem being able to launch subsequent Mavs though, need to go back through the steps and determine which ones I need to repeat to launch the next Mav. I will get it though!

Thanks again much appreciated!

You need to

1) designate a new target with the TPOD

2) SCS back to the Mav page, uncage and it will lock on target

3) turn laser on again

4) press pickle button to fire laser

5) when locked, press pickle button again

6) BOOM!

34 minutes ago, imacken said:

You need to

1) designate a new target with the TPOD

2) SCS back to the Mav page, uncage and it will lock on target

3) turn laser on again

4) press pickle button to fire laser

5) when locked, press pickle button again

6) BOOM!

Ok will give that a try, just finished another attempt and I could not seem to get slew to work no matter what I did to designate a new target after blowing up first one..

Hmm not been pressing pickle button to fire laser, been using tdc depress? ( per Chuck's guide).

Edited by dburne

Don B

34 minutes ago, dburne said:

Ok will give that a try, just finished another attempt and I could not seem to get slew to work no matter what I did to designate a new target after blowing up first one..

Hmm not been pressing pickle button to fire laser, been using tdc depress? ( per Chuck's guide).

Chuck’s guide says to press the pickle button in 2.8 31. Actually, he says to hold it down which you can do, but that will fire immediately when it can. If you just press it once it will fire and then when locked, you press it again when you are ready to fire.