Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Nellis AFB active runway

Hi all,

no matter the wind speed and direction over Nellis I always get directed to take off from 03R and to land at 21L.

AI flights seem to use 03L runway sometimes...

I never got ATC to direct me to anyother runway for TO and LND and RL jets flying off Nellis AFB usually take off in Las Vegas 21 direction.

What's the case here?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

20 hours ago, Vekkinho said:

Hi all,

no matter the wind speed and direction over Nellis I always get directed to take off from 03R and to land at 21L.

AI flights seem to use 03L runway sometimes...

I never got ATC to direct me to anyother runway for TO and LND and RL jets flying off Nellis AFB usually take off in Las Vegas 21 direction.

What's the case here?

Real-world SOP is preference for takeoff 03 and landing 21, especially when carrying dummy or live weapons, due to the dense city immediately south of the airbase.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, what You all said...

Dunno, I'm coming back after a long 10+ year hiatus from simming and I can say ED did improve a lot since LOMAC, FC, FC2 era but also nerfed a lot like this active runway issue (dunno if it's Nellis / NTTR specific or happens in other ABs and theaters). Gotta try that later. 

21 hours ago, garyscott said:

Noise abatement in north Las Vegas is pretty serious! 😆

Light pollution regulation seems to be imposed too. Las Vegas lacks brighter night lighting. Guess Hoover Dam got busted since my visit to Vegas and Colorado in 2007.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Vekkinho said:

Yeah, what You all said...

Dunno, I'm coming back after a long 10+ year hiatus from simming and I can say ED did improve a lot since LOMAC, FC, FC2 era but also nerfed a lot like this active runway issue (dunno if it's Nellis / NTTR specific or happens in other ABs and theaters). Gotta try that later. 

Real-world procedure isn't "nerfed." See for yourself in NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE INSTRUCTION 11-250. PDF available online.

• 5 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 5:52 AM, Nealius said:

Real-world procedure isn't "nerfed." See for yourself in NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE INSTRUCTION 11-250. PDF available online.

11-250 also states that during big operations and night time it is preferable to use 03 for T/O and 21 for LNDG... IF WEATHER IS NOT DICTATING OTHERWISE.

Which is essentially the issue + AI not careing at all what the rest does.

IRL i can totaly understand why they are doing this, but in DCS it would be better to deconflict with the AI at least by having a standart direction, at least if the wind is above 5 knots.
We can not always assume everybody in MP should treat Nellis like a carrier, only launch and recovery operations at a time.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

What it comes down to is that the current implementation of active runways at Nellis as designated by AI ATC is not realistic. Which wouldn't be a problem since I think that the AI ATC is useless anyways and I personally don't care for it anyways, were it not for the fact that a) approach lighting at Nellis is only turned on by ATC so it is basically impossible to get the 03R ALSF-1 activated, because ATC will give you the 21s even if you get a 40kt tailwind there (which is just nonsense) and b) the fact that AI listens to the AI ATC (duh) so they will inevitably go against the traffic flow if the player decides to operate in a realistic manner.

At this point the AI ATC is a write-off for me, so the only thing I really want is that the ALS get permanently lit.

The relevant passages from NELLISAFBI11-250 (dated 20 JAN 2016, no releasability restrictions):

"4.1.2. RWY 21 is the calm wind runway. When prevailing headwind/tailwind component exceeds 10 knots, the runway most nearly aligned with the winds will be designated the active runway."

"4.1.3. RWY 03 will be used daily from 2200L to 0800L for departures and RWY 21 for arrivals unless winds, air traffic volume or operational requirements dictate otherwise."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord