Can multicrew cause UH-1 to break up mid flight?

Dangerzone

Had a weird issue last night. On 3 different occasions I had a helicopter break up mid flight without being shot at. This only occurred when one particular player on the server was connected via multicrew as either co-pilot or gunner.

He may have had some lag issues (I think he connects via satellite), and commented that for his view, the helicopter went 'into the ground' on one of the occasions even though for me - the helicopter was above the ground and not pulling any hard maneuvers (although in that particular time the helicopter didn't break up - it was when we were flying level about 20 feet off the ground). I have a few hundred hours in the UH-1 now so I have a bit of an idea what can and can't cause it to overstress. 

I was Pilot Flying the whole time, and was just wondering if lag / NET issues could cause the Huey to break up mid flight as though it has hit the ground if one of the players glitches out / has a spike of high ping that is not the pilot flying?

Unfortunately I have no track file of this occurring (I have track write disabled to assist with performance as I fly VR), so I'm not reporting this officially as a bug - just curious as to whether or not there are certain situations where multicrew and/or net code could cause this to occur?

The first time I used multicrew I had the main rotor separate 2 times where normally it would not.

I was on a server in a different country and had a high ping, 160ish. so I assume it was that.

Edited by Quadg
  • Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

2 hours ago, Quadg said:

The first time I used multicrew I had the main rotor separate 2 times where normally it would not.

I was on a server in a different country and had a high ping, 160ish. so I assume it was that.

Thanks for confirming. The person I was flying in was in the same country - but I think they have satellite connectivity which could be a higher ping. I've flown with others before and haven't experienced this - so what you're saying makes sense if there are issues with the net code if the ping is out too much. Strange though - I'd expect a few anomolies such as guns shooting in a different location to what I'm seeing (which I've seen too, but that was OK) - but the helicopter just falling apart certainly wasn't one. 

Edited by Dangerzone

• 2 months later...

Have had the same thing happen twice. Usually when the other guy has lag, and always at low alt. The first guy I told off because I thought he pressed 'C' to take control.  Second time it was my Son so I just swore at him in the next room 🙂

Edited by Savvy

I had the huey multicrew self destruct on me 3 times, im not sure what causes this, i think its lag but it just seems to happen randomly?

One time when i was starting on the ground, with another person sitting on the copilot seat, during the startup, the helicopter just broke down and self destructed on its own...

The rotors were barely spinning, then it broke off in pieces, then the engine caught fire, then the skids broke...

And another time i was on approach slowing down, I was flying very stable, then at about 20 feet my helicopter self destructed again. I asked my copilot if i crashed into the ground on his screen but he didnt give me an answer.

Definitely more research and tests need to be done on this, ED pls fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm solid at this point that it's due to the bad synchronisation. I often am a second pilot, and when there is some desync (we both have good internet, but server locations and our own locations are not so close) it makes the helicopter go into the ground, under the ground even. When it is over I guess the system tries to synchronize you again so it doesn't find any smarter solution than to pass that momentarily crash to the first pilot, so the helicopter breaks and falls randomly. If my friend actually lets me hop in (he's very reluctant at this point), his normal flight turns into a random crash in the next 5 minutes.

This and the awful knob and switch synchronization (twitching knobs, some actions are not passed to the second player) make multicrew a no-go for us, though it would be a gamechanger. I also remember the INST caution always being lit on my screen and not on his, with all the consequences like altimeter and compass not working because the system didn't pass me him switching some switch in the process. And this is unfixable later, no matter how many times and how many ways you try to turn it back on.