Newbie...

FelixK4

As I'm getting more into this game I have questions about mods too (no intention to hijack your thread).

I know where to get the mods and I can see that there are many good ones out to try.

Can someone recommend what mods I should try as far as graphics and sound?

I already downloaded MODMAN and I'm getting used to it I just dont know which ones to try. I have a system that can push LOMAC FC at full settings so I think I can handle any mod out there.

I have some questions though:

1 Do I have to run mod man everytime I want to use a mod? Or does it install the mod for good the first time?

2 Which Mods should I try (sound and graphical)?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have some questions though:

1 Do I have to run mod man everytime I want to use a mod? Or does it install the mod for good the first time?

No. You install the mod once and you're good to go and go and go.

2 Which Mods should I try (sound and graphical)?

1) Sim Mod's LockOn Reload Ground and Air Base Textures b01.

2) TekaTeka's Tree Shader Mod 2.0

Those two alone will make it feel like a whole new sim.

3) Merzifon scenery mod

4) a) Realistic Sun mod and b) Realistic moon mod

5) TekaTeka's a) Structures visibility and b) Structures lights mods

6) English Tower voice mod (voice of lovely Monique)

And check out the top stickey in this forum: JEFX's "!!!Praise for the MODs!!! a totally new Lockon experience." Go through the whole thread. There are multiple sections where mods are listed.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

One more question when installing the LO Reload Ground and Air Base Textures b01 with modman does it do the entire install automatically or do I need to mess with the cdds files? If I do need to do something how do I go about it? Maybe I'm missing something in the readme or I'm just a moron......... still figuring out the LOMAC world since I've been flying 1946 for a few years!

One more question when installing the LO Reload Ground and Air Base Textures b01 with modman does it do the entire install automatically or do I need to mess with the cdds files? If I do need to do something how do I go about it? Maybe I'm missing something in the readme or I'm just a moron......... still figuring out the LOMAC world since I've been flying 1946 for a few years!

If you are using the latest version of ModMan (6.3.0.1, I believe), I think it will make the necessary entries in the graphics.cfg file for you. If not, follow the Readme instructions.

Basically, it's a standalone mod. It makes no changes, nor does it replace any files. Instead, it provides a set of alternate CDDS files for the sim to use. You can actually put the files anywhere you want, just as long as the graphics.cfg points to where they are.

Here's why it works this way. The sim is looking for certain textures. It looks for them in the order that locations are listed in the graphics.cfg file in the "TextureCollections" section. Here's what a partial section of mine looks like:

TextureCollections

{

highFolder = ".\\Bazar\\TempTextures\\";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\r1.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\r2.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\TestTextures\\A-10_Realistic_Cockpit.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\TestTextures\\Realistic_Moon.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\EnglishCockpit.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\TestTextures\\A-10_Su-27_Skins.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\TestTextures\\Su-25_Skin.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\TestTextures\\Su-27_HI-RES Basic.cdds";

winter = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\CoastlineWin.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\CoastlineSum.cdds";

spring = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\CoastlineSpr.cdds";

autumn = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\CoastlineAut.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesBMP.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesTGA.cdds";

spring = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSprBMP.cdds";

spring = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSprTGA.cdds";

So, when the sim needs a texture, the first place it looks is in the "TempTextures" folder. Then, in my installation, the next place it looks is ".\Bazar\World\r1.cdds", then "\Bazar\World\r2.cdds", then "\Bazar\TestTextures\A-10_Realistic_Cockpit.cdds" and so on, in sequence down the list, until it finds the texture name. As soon as it finds it, it stops looking.

So, since the Reload textures are placed ahead of the default textures (".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesBMP.cdds", etc) in the list, the sim sees them first and never makes it to the default ones.

More of an explanation than you need, I know, but sometimes it's helpful to understand how the sim is structured and how it goes about finding what it needs.

EDIT: Also, IIRC, there are two lines, also in the graphics.cfg (found in the Config folder btw) that ought to be changed for improved texture appearance:

OldLandNoise

{

perSquare = 4;

perSquare2 = 150;

front = 1000;

back = 10000;

top = 2500;

map_high = 20000;

bottom = 2000;

noisemax = 0.8;

noisemin = 0.6;

Alter the last two lines in bold print. :: EDIT ENDS

EDIT 2::

And one other notation. This also pertains to the graphics.cfg file. (Warning: this next may well have a negative effect on FPS.) Find the "LandLodDistances" section. The default, in part reads:

LandLodDistances

{

LandDay

{

L01 = 40000;

L12 = 60000;

Change the bold print to read: L12 = 80000;. This eliminates the distance line issue. But on my machine, at least, it also eliminates fast frame rates. So experiment with this one. ::EDIT 2 ENDS

Rich

Edited by Ironhand
Add information
  • Like 1

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

noisemax = 0.8;

noisemin = 0.6;

IronHand, so what exactly does this change do?

It gets rid of the graphic distortions you get during high altitude flight. But, to my eye, it also smooths the textures to make them seem more natural.

And one other notation that I forgot to mention. This also pertains to the graphics.cfg file. (Warning: this next may well have a negative effect on FPS.) Find the "LandLodDistances" section. The default, in part reads:

LandLodDistances

{

LandDay

{

L01 = 40000;

L12 = 60000;

Change the bold print to read: L12 = 80000;. This eliminates the distance line issue. But on my machine, at least, it also eliminates fast frame rates. So experiment with this one.

Think I'll go back and edit my previous post to include this info as well as well.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Just tried your two "EDITs". Lookin great! Performance seems to be O.K.

On my end I get into FPS-trouble when editing the objects lods to a higher value. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Just tried your two "EDITs". Lookin great! Performance seems to be O.K.

On my end I get into FPS-trouble when editing the objects lods to a higher value. :(

Glad I mentioned them.

With my current rig, in most missions, I can just get by with around 17 to 18 fps--just enough fps to fly accurately. If I set L12 to 80000, it pushes me over the fps ledge and I lose another 2-3 fps. When that happens, accuracy goes out the window.

My rig's getting a bit long in the tooth. But I should be putting in the rest of the new components next week. (My current 3DMarks score is: 4455. Not a strong rig by today's standards.) I just popped in the new video card (Gigabyte Radeon HD 3850) to see what it looked like (replaced an eVGA 6800GT). I've been an nVidia man all these years and thought it would be interesting to switch. I like the graphics output so far, especially the atmospherics--clouds etc.

No FPS increase, though, which I suppose isn't all that surprising. At this point in my rig's life, the CPU has more influence on FPS than the GPU. With this rebuild I'm also switching from AMD to Intel. So I'm replacing the MoBo and upgrading to a dual core E8400 processor as well. And more an better more memory, of course. Should be interesting to see the difference, when it's done.

Rich

_____

Glad I mentioned them.

With my current rig, in most missions, I can just get by with around 17 to 18 fps--just enough fps to fly accurately. If I set L12 to 80000, it pushes me over the fps ledge and I lose another 2-3 fps. When that happens, accuracy goes out the window.

My rig's getting a bit long in the tooth. But I should be putting in the rest of the new components next week. (My current 3DMarks score is: 4455. Not a strong rig by today's standards.) I just popped in the new video card (Gigabyte Radeon HD 3850) to see what it looked like (replaced an eVGA 6800GT). I've been an nVidia man all these years and thought it would be interesting to switch. I like the graphics output so far, especially the atmospherics--clouds etc.

No FPS increase, though, which I suppose isn't all that surprising. At this point in my rig's life, the CPU has more influence on FPS than the GPU. With this rebuild I'm also switching from AMD to Intel. So I'm replacing the MoBo and upgrading to a dual core E8400 processor as well. And more an better more memory, of course. Should be interesting to see the difference, when it's done.

Rich

greetings ironhand , i recently upgraded to intel from amd .

i had a amd 3700 and a 7600 gt plus 2 gigs of ram .

now i have the intel 8400 , 8800gt and 4 gigs of ram .

my frame rates doubled . thats no joke .

the games runs smoother . i mean alot smoother .

before , useing the a-10 cannon , at low alt , the game would kind of freeze . not any more .

flying low , over cities , the would go slow , like real slow , that is gone now .

you will see for yourself . i think the 8400 plays the bigger part .

i get a little over 18000 3d05 marks .

with my amd rig , i got 7200 .

i enclosed a few pics .

i can alt tab out of the game , change settings , and go back in now .

i cant say enough .

you will see for yourself .

cheers .

ScreenShot_018.jpg.78c4e9293a269bb3792caff5f39408ad.jpg

ScreenShot_021.jpg.3266505f742cf36986229dcd25b1955e.jpg

ScreenShot_022.jpg.7fe1e41544b5dec0fd284669b5221972.jpg

ScreenShot_023.jpg.d6a400be7f6db7600f09cd572f114393.jpg

fraps.thumb.JPG.ea84620193fd4d0675a8498a2ada87cb.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

greetings ironhand...you will see for yourself...

Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to that part. :) Things should be a lot smoother, once I'm done.

Rich

_____

Rich

Yeah Rich your CPU is the bottleneck in this case so HD3850 is underperforming here. I suppose it's an AGP version, it's more expensive than it's PCI-Ex twin.

I'm also in the market for a new rig, I believe I have a Chipset overheat issue with my current MoBo so my rig is being inspected ATM at some local computer shop where I bought that MoBo. MoBo is still under warranty but that type (S478) is unfortunately out of stock. So I'm looking for some Multicore CPUs and thinking that Dual Cores might perform better than Quads in terms of LOFC and upcoming BS.

I know that having a fast and expensive GPU won't help too much with LOFC, might turn out to be a waste of money 'cause LOFC performance was more CPU related so far! That's why I'd rather go with faster Dual CPU than Quad with Crossfire/SLI combo!

These are the CPUs I'm considering:

1) lista_zelja_0.gif Intel Core 2 Duo, E8600, Socket 775, 3.33GHz

2) lista_zelja_0.gifIntel Core 2 Quad, Q9550, Socket 775, 2.83GHz

Price is pretty similar, at least here in Croatia but knowing the fact that LOFC and DCS take no advantage of multicore CPUs, my personal favourite would be E8600!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's why I'd rather go with faster Dual CPU than Quad with Crossfire/SLI combo!

These are the CPUs I'm considering:

1) lista_zelja_0.gif Intel Core 2 Duo, E8600, Socket 775, 3.33GHz

2) lista_zelja_0.gifIntel Core 2 Quad, Q9550, Socket 775, 2.83GHz

Price is pretty similar, at least here in Croatia but knowing the fact that LOFC and DCS take no advantage of multicore CPUs, my personal favourite would be E8600!

I am switching back to dual core (something like E8600) as soon as I finish my thesis and have no need for Quad anymore. These E8600 have been overclocking to 4.5-5GHz. Absolutely insane for LOFC and BS :D

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197505

Edited by GTengineer

Q6600 @ 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR2-1000, 8800GT 512MB, Vista x64, TrackIR4

Ironhand,

Since you opened that topic, I have a particular problem which you might know how to solve :

I have since recently this fantastic TH2Go setup and I enjoy it a lot, but, since I got it and started playing at 3840x1028 with the zoom pretty much maxed out, I get all ground units (military AND civilian by the way) to look like square boxes until I am very very close (less than half a mile...)

Since one gets such a great visibility with 3 screens, it is a pity that, at a few miles out, I stare at this mysterious tank column and cannot evaluate which one is the dreaded Shilka until I am dead above it!!!

Do you know which parameter in the config files is responsible for that?

thanks in advance and thanks again for your fantastic tutorials, you are a great teacher!:thumbup:

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

^^^^^^^

That's exactly what I'm talking about although I'm not planning any OC in the future.

3.33Ghz is fair enough!

The problem is that my Q6600 even at 3.6 and 3.8GHz I notice slowdowns in LOFC when taking off from a busy airfield surrounded by a lot of city/objects (granted the Penryn like E8600 are slightly faster than my Kentsfield clock per clock). The FPS sometimes drop down to 25 FPS which is very noticeable after being used to a much higher FPS average. This is also more apparent and noticeable with TrackIR. BTW this is with all graphic settings on high though, and multiple graphics mods .... I am hard to please I know. :lol:

Edited by GTengineer

Q6600 @ 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR2-1000, 8800GT 512MB, Vista x64, TrackIR4