HELP! - "Motion Vector" with Reverb G2 and 6900XT causes jitterry lines when moving head

Rens

Hi,

Before I start, this issue isn't related to DCS itself. But I was hoping if someone else with a similar VR setup could help me out here, or knows what to do here. I am afraid there is an issue with the combination of 6900XT and SteamVR/WMR Motion Vector setting since I had no issue with my previous GPU (gtx1080). That's also the only thing that was changed in my PC today.

Please see the video to understand what is happening:

Just to be clear:

- Drivers are updated to most recent version, restarted PC, same issue

- This isn't an issue within DCS itself, only looking for help/info on this form if I may

- When I am inside the WMR portal/light house, this setting is off by default (I believe at least, so correct me if I am wrong) but inside the light house I have no issues with any jittery. The motion is also smooth. But I guess that's because this so called "Motion Vector" isn't enabled inside the light house, because it's a setting within "SteamVR" > "WMR" > "Graphics" > Motion Vector

- When I start up SteamVR from, and I disable Motion Vector, without having any game active, there is no jittery. As soon as I enable "Motion Vector" I see jittery again

- The jittery lines especially seem to be appearing when you move your head around. Probably quite obvious because "Motion Vector" contains the word "Motion".

- I had no issues with the setting "Motion Vector" with my previous card: GTX1080 founders edition

I really hope anyone has any idea. Could it be a combination of 6900XT with SteamVR/WMR and Motion Vector? Is it because of the AMD architecture? Would I have the exact same issue with a 6800XT card? (not that I am planning on buying that instead of this one now) but I really feel like I made the wrong purchase here. What do you guys think? I am kind of lost, since I couldn't find any info about this specific issue either.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Have you tried using older drivers for you graphics card? Does both cards use the Display port or do you have to use an adapter for one card but not the other?

Are you running your G2 on 90 or 60hz? Have you tried to toggle between them? Also, try swapping to different ports on your card.

Edited by wraith76

Hi, I have found a work-around myself. Since I am new to AMD, I didn't know that within the software there was a setting which you can set to basically cap the maximum FPS. That way you basically have a smooth experience in VR I have set this to 46 FPS which allows for smooth experience. This way I can skip the "Motion Vector" setting.

And damn, it's really good. It works really well. I haven't had such a sharp cockpit before. Now I can start fine tuning the in-game settings and maybe even downscale my headset resolution per eye even a little bit. See picture for info about what I changed in the Radeon software:

image.png

I have to get back to what I said, after more testing, it seems that it didn't change anything at all. It just looked like it was, due to maybe some other changes I made, which kept my FPS somewhat high, without to much change in FPS. Anyway that Max FPS doesn't seem to work at all. I already though it was strange that I would still see higher FPS in fpsVR. I first thought the software would do it under the hood. So the issue remains... When "Motion Vector" is enabled the game is really smooth. If I could just reproduce this same smoothness but in a different way then I would be totally fine with that. I was hoping I could achieve that with this "Max FPS" or with 

"Radeon Chill" or "Anti-Lag" settings, but they don't seem to help, even when set to low fps e.g "45/46" and I get much higher FPS than that.

I will have to do more testing on these settings to see what they all do and what effect they have on DCS though.

Have you tried using older drivers for you graphics card?

I did try with the stock driver, then after that I used the latest drivers.

Does both cards use the Display port or do you have to use an adapter for one card but not the other?

Both display port, no adapter was being used.

Are you running your G2 on 90 or 60hz? Have you tried to toggle between them? Also, try swapping to different ports on your card.

I will give these 2 a try, currently it's set to 90hz, because on 60hz there is somewhat of flickering in the headset, I can see it. Perhaps this depends on the eyes per human, because others do not notice this to much, while others notice it even more so. I will try both suggestions tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far, I appreciate it 🙂

you can play with motion vector off and use steamVR setting only

I had the same issue

I have a 3090

My settings

In game PD 0.5, steamVR 250% in your case for the 1080 use 150% to 200% with MSAA at 4 and in steam VR force always use motion smoothing

This way it prevents you from going above 45 and lessens the artifacting caused by the interpolated frame. always smooth all the time. WMR sucks for steam VR games at the moment as it handles motion smoothing differently

zprwsp-6.png

15 hours ago, Convexrook said:

you can play with motion vector off and use steamVR setting only

I had the same issue

I have a 3090

My settings

In game PD 0.5, steamVR 250% in your case for the 1080 use 150% to 200% with MSAA at 4 and in steam VR force always use motion smoothing

This way it prevents you from going above 45 and lessens the artifacting caused by the interpolated frame. always smooth all the time. WMR sucks for steam VR games at the moment as it handles motion smoothing differently

Did exactly like you said, set in-game Pixel Density to 0.5 and MSAA set to 4x.

I have set SteamVR SS to 150%  and  Motion Smoothening for the game to "Force Always-on" and Legacy projection mode to "Off".

But in fpsVR I am still getting more than 45 fps, any idea?

19 hours ago, wraith76 said:

Have you tried using older drivers for you graphics card? Does both cards use the Display port or do you have to use an adapter for one card but not the other?

Tried both, still the same issue. I am waiting for AMD response now. See if they can fix this, otherwise I have no choice but to return the GPU. Unless there is a other way to get 45 fps fixed. The "Motion Smoothening > Force Always-on" isn't doing anything. (and yes I restarted SteamVR just to be clear).

motion vector and motion smoothing (both frame interpolation methods I believe) as I understand it are both highly driver dependent.  The AMD drivers aren't very good at motion smoothing, when compared to Nvidia.  I've turned off all motion smoothing for all of my titles because it's so terrible (6800XT).  Hopefully this will get better with new drivers.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

11 minutes ago, Strong05 said:

motion vector and motion smoothing (both frame interpolation methods I believe) as I understand it are both highly driver dependent.  The AMD drivers aren't very good at motion smoothing, when compared to Nvidia.  I've turned off all motion smoothing for all of my titles because it's so terrible (6800XT).  Hopefully this will get better with new drivers.

Thanks for clarifying, however, I have no issues with the Smoothness when "Motion Vector" is enabled. It's working fine. I just get this jittery effect on "white" areas. Anyways, I think there is no way of fixing this problem. Let's hope the Radeon team can fix/solve this. I am thinking about returning the card for this reason. Can't really rely on them solving something in the future which they probably will not.

I have a Radeon 6900XT and a Reverb G2 and I am getting a lot of artifacts if I enable motion smoothing in any form. That problem did not exist with my Rift S. This is not a problem with one specific driver, all of AMDs drivers has been the same. The combo of Reverb G2 and a Radeon card does not seem to be a good one if you want to use motion smoothing (and you do). For now I am running without motion smoothing, which sucks. I am hoping AMD solves it, but for now I am just trying to live with it.

2 hours ago, Papercut said:

I have a Radeon 6900XT and a Reverb G2 and I am getting a lot of artifacts if I enable motion smoothing in any form. That problem did not exist with my Rift S. This is not a problem with one specific driver, all of AMDs drivers has been the same. The combo of Reverb G2 and a Radeon card does not seem to be a good one if you want to use motion smoothing (and you do). For now I am running without motion smoothing, which sucks. I am hoping AMD solves it, but for now I am just trying to live with it.

Thanks, I am in contact with amd about this. I will forward this also. They really have to solve this. I am 100% return my GPU if they can't solve this... 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Bbow said:

Any news on the issues you guys had? Are they solved now with the new drivers?

I have been in contact with AMD directly tried all the suggestion they had, didn't resolve anything. In the end they said I has to contact Asus because that's the brand I have.

But up till today I haven't contacted them about this matter. Also haven't really been playing VR anymore lately. I doubt this will ever be fixed.

Oh man, that sucks. I guess it's too late to return the card? You could probably sell it and not lose too much money at the moment, the 2nd and GPU market is crazy right now.    I was hoping to maybe buy a 6900XT but after reading numerous people's complaints I'm having 2nd thoughts. 

I don't think there's a way to limit FPS in VR, for either NVIDIA or AMD users. 

Btw, it sounds like you're getting reprojection artefacts. It is impossible to avoid unless you can maintain the same FPS as your HMD's refresh rate - in the case of the Reverb that's either 60fps or 90fps. Good luck with that  😛 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

2 hours ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Btw, it sounds like you're getting reprojection artefacts. It is impossible to avoid unless you can maintain the same FPS as your HMD's refresh rate - in the case of the Reverb that's either 60fps or 90fps. Good luck with that

The problem is that with the same frames, with an Nvidia card (RTX 2070 Super) the reprojection is far better than with a more powerful and expensive AMD card (RX 6900 XT).

In other forums it appears that the problem is related to AMD drivers.

I've "tuned" my setup for 60fps and no reprojection, but whenever I've tried to get a smooth 45 with reporojection/motion smoothing on I get similar effect - especially noticeable on the Persia map while flying past skyscrapers.

Looks like a knife being waved in front of a strobing light, if you get my meaning.

e: I should add, I'm using a 3090 so not just an AMD issue and more of a general (Steam?) VR reprojection issue.

Edited by SquidgyB

22 hours ago, Topo said:

The problem is that with the same frames, with an Nvidia card (RTX 2070 Super) the reprojection is far better than with a more powerful and expensive AMD card (RX 6900 XT).

In other forums it appears that the problem is related to AMD drivers.

That is really bizarre - as far as I can tell, it shouldn't matter whether you have an AMD or NVIDIA GPU. All reprojection is handled by SteamVR, and *should* be GPU-agnostic. I'm thinking it's more likely that the smoother FPS you're getting with the new card is making the smaller issues much more obvious. Good luck getting it fixed though; I've got a Silicon Lottery 11900K (pre-binned to do 5.1GHz on all cores) due to arrive in the next day or two, and I'm hoping that when combined with my RTX 3090, I'll be able to hit 60fps all the time, so I won't need reprojection at all. I'm not overly optimistic though. 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

1 hour ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

That is really bizarre - as far as I can tell, it shouldn't matter whether you have an AMD or NVIDIA GPU. All reprojection is handled by SteamVR, and *should* be GPU-agnostic. I'm thinking it's more likely that the smoother FPS you're getting with the new card is making the smaller issues much more obvious. Good luck getting it fixed though; I've got a Silicon Lottery 11900K (pre-binned to do 5.1GHz on all cores) due to arrive in the next day or two, and I'm hoping that when combined with my RTX 3090, I'll be able to hit 60fps all the time, so I won't need reprojection at all. I'm not overly optimistic though. 

I'm not an expert, you are probably right.

For what it's worth, whit an AMD RX 6900 XT things improved using the February 2021 drivers, settings fast memory and increasing minimum frequency a little bit below max frequency.

Well, we just have to hope for the improvement of the engine with Vulcan and multithreading.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:46 AM, GunSlingerAUS said:

Btw, it sounds like you're getting reprojection artefacts. It is impossible to avoid unless you can maintain the same FPS as your HMD's refresh rate - in the case of the Reverb that's either 60fps or 90fps. Good luck with that  😛 

Well, yes and no, because I am not able to get those FPS's with the old 1080. Yet I do not have these artifacts with that GPU. I also read that RTX 3090 users had these problems too. Also mentioned by SquidgyB and explained by GunSlingerAUS. Will have to life with it I guess for now 😛