Air Brakes Trouble after 2.7

Not sure what has happened, but long story short I use an X56 HOTAS and have been using the SLD switch for airbrakes Extend (forward) and Retract (Aft). Previously, DCS itself did not recognize this switch, so I set it up using the Logitech software to recognize that button as LShift+B when pressed forward and LCtrl+B when pressed aft as that is the default keyboard commands. This functionality is still working in the FC3 planes I fly (F15 and SU25T) with no issues, but now it seems DCS is wanting to recognize the SLD switch on my HOTAS as a modifier only (LShift when forward and LCtrl when aft). I'm not all that tech smart, so can anyone help me out on this?

Are you only running into the problem when binding it?  I have 2 programmable external keyboards that I use AutoHotKey (AHK) to send keypresses from, and if I try to bind a modifier + keypress by pressing it on the AHK keyboard only the modifier shows.  However, if I do the binding manually (i.e. press SHIFT and A) on the actual keyboard it binds correctly and then works from my AHK keyboards.

If it's not picking it up even after you have it bound properly, then I can't help 😕.

7 hours ago, rob10 said:

Are you only running into the problem when binding it?  I have 2 programmable external keyboards that I use AutoHotKey (AHK) to send keypresses from, and if I try to bind a modifier + keypress by pressing it on the AHK keyboard only the modifier shows.  However, if I do the binding manually (i.e. press SHIFT and A) on the actual keyboard it binds correctly and then works from my AHK keyboards.

If it's not picking it up even after you have it bound properly, then I can't help 😕.

I guess? Previously, I didn't technically have a HOTAS bind set up in DCS itself for the Speed Brake. I set up the switch on my HOTAS in the logitech software to be recognized as pressing LShift+B when I slide the SLD switch forward and LCtrl+B when I slide that switch forward. That way, when ever I slide the switch on my HOTAS, it's the equivalent of pressing the keyboard commands, and the speed brake would extend and retract. This set up is still working perfectly in my FC3 aircraft, but for some reason now the Hornet is only recognizing the SLD switch as the modifier button (ie LShift and or LCtrl).

I think I know what your saying about manually binding the keys, but those keys are still showing as the default keyboard binding in DCS. Should I try re-binding them?

Edited by ia_pro1691

14 minutes ago, ia_pro1691 said:

I think I know what your saying about manually binding the keys, but those keys are still showing as the default keyboard binding in DCS. Should I try re-binding them?

That's likely not going to help, but you could try.  You've got a different issue to what I was running into.  Only other thing I can thing of is do you have any sort of delay set in the Logitech software?  You could try playing with shortening or lengthening it 🤔.  I haven't dug any deeper since I could work around it, but based on my experience with a modifier and key it **should** work.

I had the same issue with x56 - glad it still works in the FC3 i hadnt tried that - but in the F18 using STT software i have the same advanced command as you Lshift B extended and Lctrl B retracted.

However now as you say this no longer works the same, so what i had to do was add a 2.5 second delay on Lshift release, and it now extends and retracts as before.

The only issue with this is you have to cycle 2.5 seconds or it stops partly raised if this happens you have to go again and its another full 2.5 seconds.

Im happy with this solution but you must remain conscious of the delay to prevent messing up.  The days of accidentally hitting the SLD up and immediately correcting are gone.

Sadly the tactile feel of the switch being down and meaning the speedbrake is down is also long gone.  I have never had the need to leave the brake partly up, just maybe a quick burst but now its 2.5 seconds up before you can retract.  There could be otherways but i think this is best for me, Latching is also an option but that plays havoc with other keypresses while the brake is up.

My guess is this is in error or appease TMW users as there is retract/off and off but no extend/off,  I assume the TMW slider repeats the key press up or down until released (could be wrong)

The speedbrake out Advanced command Button Press combo is -  LShiftpress Bpress Breleased(delayed 2.5) LShiftreleased(delayed 0.0) (setting the delays can be finicky)

Then the speedbrake in Release Button                                           - LCtrlPress  Bpress  Brelease  LCtrlrelease   - is the same as before

Hope this helps if you do find a better way let me know

• Like 1

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312384/

haven’t updated this to 2.7 yet but for the Hornet I believe it should still work. If not just copy the line I added near the top of the included lua file (line 8 or 9 I believe) into the same file in the 2.7 file structure (the mod is OvGME ready so you should be able to pick up the file structure from that). That should let you bind the X56 slider to a 2POS airbrake.

It’s currently set up for forward = retract and aft = extend but you should be able to tweak it fairly easily on a text editor to work the other way around.

Sorry, just read that you said you are not that tech savvy 🙂 so here is the simple version:

• Go to Mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Input/FA-18C/joystick
  • Open the default.lua file in a text editor (notepad++ works well)
  • Paste the following line in (somewhere after line 7):

{ down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, name = _('Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('_Custom'), _('HOTAS')} },

• Should create a new binding you can map in the controls setup called "Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT", just map it straight to the X56 slider, no need to mess about with the Logitech software.
  • Currently set up for aft = extend, forward = retract, if you want to change the order (to forward = extend, aft = retract) try this (I haven't tried so no guarantee it will work though):

{ down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('_Custom'), _('HOTAS')} },

You'll have to do this each time you update DCS unless you use a Mod Manager!

• Like 1

looks like that line would fit nicely at line 102.

anyways i will try this line in the F18, if i can get rid of the delay so it goes up and down as it did i willl be pleased, cheers in advance

Edited by GremlinIV

25 minutes ago, Brass2-1 said:

I also fly with an X56, and use the pinky slider for my speed brake. DCS had no issue recognizing the switch natively for me. 

I'm talking about the SLD switch on the right throttle quadrant between the two rotary wheels. I activate it with my left thumb. The left pinky scroll wheel thing on the left side of the left quadrant works fine in DCS for me.

20 hours ago, Shiroka said:

Sorry, just read that you said you are not that tech savvy 🙂 so here is the simple version:

• Go to Mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Input/FA-18C/joystick
  • Open the default.lua file in a text editor (notepad++ works well)
  • Paste the following line in (somewhere after line 7):

{ down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, name = _('Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('_Custom'), _('HOTAS')} },

• Should create a new binding you can map in the controls setup called "Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT", just map it straight to the X56 slider, no need to mess about with the Logitech software.
  • Currently set up for aft = extend, forward = retract, if you want to change the order (to forward = extend, aft = retract) try this (I haven't tried so no guarantee it will work though):

{ down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('_Custom'), _('HOTAS')} },

You'll have to do this each time you update DCS unless you use a Mod Manager!

Thanks for typing all that out, but given my limited computer tech abilities and the other gentleman's experiment with it being unsuccessful, I'm gonna have to find another option. For now, I've just changed my mapping around for the Hornet. Thanks again though!

10 hours ago, GremlinIV said:

tried this line in various combos but couldnt get it going, ahh well delayed it is..

Which one did you try? The top one definitely works as I use it myself. I set it up that way to be as close to the real movement as possible (where rear = extend and forward = retract). I’ve done similar on all the planes I own (hence why I made the mod) and they all work no issues. If it would help, happy to PM you or @ia_pro1691 my lua file with the modification added?

24 minutes ago, Shiroka said:

Which one did you try? The top one definitely works as I use it myself. I set it up that way to be as close to the real movement as possible (where rear = extend and forward = retract). I’ve done similar on all the planes I own (hence why I made the mod) and they all work no issues. If it would help, happy to PM you or @ia_pro1691 my lua file with the modification added?

I'll take the PM's lua file if you want to PM it. It feels well outside my wheelhouse in terms of my tech abilities, but you never learn if you never try right?