TGP and Maverick issues - still

Terzi

I have some concerns regarding to Litening pod and AGM-65s.

First of all, the image quality of the TGP is very bad. Not in terms of resolution, but distinctiveness. No matter how much you play with the brightness and contrast everything is either too dark or too white or everything is just grey. Usually with IR view the ground units should be quite distinct on MFDs (white or black). Well that depends on thermal radiation of the ground too, but clearly something is wrong. Cloudy or sunny, always problematic.

The AGM-65D WPN page display is surprisingly better in target distinction. I don't know how sniper pod will look like (if we will have it), but nowadays I almost gave up using the Litening.

Second thing is when in PRE mode for mavericks, aligning is so difficult because the mavericks fail to obtain a lock on ordinary map objects. I try to do the alignment on my way to target area, but lock acquisition is really really picky. Maybe the only thing you can lock on except the ground targets is the huge metal electric poles. I almost never find something proper to align the mavericks until I reach the target. Then once I reach the target, there is almost no benefit for doing that. I don't think that image processing is currently included in the code, which should be there IMO. Because scripting will not take us very far. Normally you should be able to lock on most of things with corners, taking into account the heat dissipation around, weather conditions; which would be the true generic, reliable and high level simulation solution.

AGM-65G image acquisition works the same way. There is the sea, there is the HUGE ship, with very clear view. But you cannot obtain a lock until certain distance because the image processing is not there... The only thing that matters is the scripted behavior, that will never let you lock before you reach certain distance... If you are scripting this, please script it well, so that we can lock from 400 nm. We will still have unrealistic product, but at least we don't have trouble in using it.

I really hate complaining and writing all these, I know its EA, but I love Viper. Making movies with the Viper and being proud of stunning graphics is fine, but there are lots of operational issues right now. Is this really so difficult to fix? This is one of your most modern products.

• Like 1

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Not gonna subtract from your post, just a thing about not being able to find a suitable object for boresighting.

Have you considered placing a allied vehicle at a steerpoint between starting airbase and fence in? You can then use it to boresight.

And if in a multiplayer public server, have you tried finding an allied vehicle and write down its position as reference for steerpoint editing/creation?

Regards

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, FlippingGerman said:

Boresight on the ground, with a nice taxiway signpost (those yellow things with "A" on them). Ds are normally quite happy to lock them. 

I never tried doing it on the ground, does it really work?

Normally, I orbit around a friendly base, gaining altitude, until the mavs align, then I use a friendly unit to boresight them and off to the target area.

Edited by Hardcard

6 hours ago, Hardcard said:

I never tried doing it on the ground, does it really work?

Normally, I orbit around a friendly base, gaining altitude, until the mavs align, then I use a friendly unit to boresight them and off to the target area.

Yep it works on the ground and it takes 10 sec to boresight 2 pylons,

As FlippingGerman said

find a taxiway sign and point track it with your TGP, then make WPN page SOI, slew your Mav to it, TMS UP and click BSGT, switch to other pylon do the same as with first Maveric and that's it;P

As for image quality of Litening and targeting pods, they are reworking the whole FLIR in DCS and it should be much better than it is now, all we can do is wait.

• Like 2