Dora wants to depart controlled flight during normal maneuvering fights

Blackhawk NC

20 hours ago, NineLine said:

Its all Greek German to me 🙂

Erich Brunotte is talking about a (probably undocumented) life-saving feature of the Dora.
When he was pursued in a turning fight, and the opponent was dangerously close to a firing solution, he would brutally pull the stick back.  If this happened in a left turn, the Dora would suddenly roll right, and in a right turn the Dora would suddenly roll left. This caused the opponent to overshoot, and he could get himself into a position to shoot.

I have tried to reproduce this, but it works only in a right turn. Is that a bug? (just kidding of course)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

vor 2 Stunden schrieb LeCuvier:

have tried to reproduce this, but it works only in a right turn. Is that a bug? (just kidding of course)

It also appears to depend on if your nose is pointing rather upwards or downwards during a turn. If it faces rather up whilest turning left youll flip to the right. If it faces downward you flip in the direction of the turn.

So its rather dangerous if done too hasty and you pull the skywalker roll and just lose speed and make yourself a sitting duck.. at least.. that what always happens to me if i try flat scissors in the dora... cause if you turn you loose speed fast and then youre dead..

but im a cr@p pilot myself..

Edited by Doughguy

14 hours ago, Doughguy said:

So its rather dangerous if done too hasty ...

If you're about to be shot down by your pursuer that danger is very relative. Plus, in a real plane you get feedback from your body that helps to manage the roll.
In the sim we don't have that body feedback. Plus a pursuing AI pilot has magic abilities for staying just behind you and killing you. So I'm afraid this tactic won't work for us.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...
Am 13.9.2022 um 18:19 schrieb LeCuvier:

Erich Brunotte is talking about a (probably undocumented) life-saving feature of the Dora.
When he was pursued in a turning fight, and the opponent was dangerously close to a firing solution, he would brutally pull the stick back.  If this happened in a left turn, the Dora would suddenly roll right, and in a right turn the Dora would suddenly roll left. This caused the opponent to overshoot, and he could get himself into a position to shoot.

I have tried to reproduce this, but it works only in a right turn. Is that a bug? (just kidding of course)

Exactly and you can do that in DCS too

Am 14.9.2022 um 10:24 schrieb LeCuvier:

If you're about to be shot down by your pursuer that danger is very relative. Plus, in a real plane you get feedback from your body that helps to manage the roll.
In the sim we don't have that body feedback. Plus a pursuing AI pilot has magic abilities for staying just behind you and killing you. So I'm afraid this tactic won't work for us.

Against AI maybe not but that's what PvP servers are for and there this maneuver works very well.

With a little practice, you can use it specifically and also stop it excellently.

• 2 months later...

After a few more hours of practice, I have learned to "guide" the Dora a lot better. Pulling smoothly into turns and keeping airspeed high has made me a lot more competitive against most fighters. The Spit is the exception. Still haven't figure the correct tactic against it. Flying in pairs seems to be the most effective tactic. Thanks for the information. It really helped me alot!

vor einer Stunde schrieb Blackhawk NC:

The Spit is the exception. Still haven't figure the correct tactic against it.

Dont engage in turn fights. never ever. Climb above it in chandelles or dive on it. on pullin up, engage a shallow turn. spit might get you from a lag/barrel roll.
From above just b&z it. you´re faster in the horizontal and can climb way better.

20 hours ago, Blackhawk NC said:

After a few more hours of practice, I have learned to "guide" the Dora a lot better. Pulling smoothly into turns and keeping airspeed high has made me a lot more competitive against most fighters. The Spit is the exception. Still haven't figure the correct tactic against it. Flying in pairs seems to be the most effective tactic. Thanks for the information. It really helped me alot!

For example.

DCS 2.8.0.32235.1 Open Beta change log

FW190D-9 VS Spitfire.acmi FW190D-9 VS Spitfire.trk