Landing a Su25 on a road - can it be done?

HedgeSlammer

Hi folks.  I'm hoping you can help me with something.

I've just about finished building the follow up to Abkhazian Antics 1 which ends at a hastily built FARP in northern Georgia.

The Gazelle & Harrier have no problem landing there, but I haven't been able to successfully land there with the Frogfoot.

I'm guessing that either it's not possible and I should just stick to runways with the Froggie, or I'm just a really poor Frogfoot pilot.  Either are possible, but I'd like to know if anyone's managed to successfully land (& then turn round, re-arm, and take-off) on a road.

This isn't a major 4 lane highway - I couldn't find any suitable in the part of Georgia I wanted to use, so it's just a regular 2 lane road.

Another issue is getting close enough to the FARP vehicles to re-arm & re-fuel.  They're by the side of the road, but the odds are, you'll need to turn around on the grass, which seems a tad tricky for the Frogfoot's poor undercarriage.

So - does anyone know if it's possible to land on a regular road in a Su25T (unarmed apart from cannon, low fuel) and be in a good enough condition to take off again?

The mission I'm building at the moment requires a few take offs & landings at the FARP, but if it's not possible, I'll move the Frogfoot base to Batumi instead.

I've raised this on the Su25 board too - in case someone with a decent amount of flying time in the Froggie can do it.

While not with a Froggie, I've done so with the A-10A, and some other planes. One issue that you will run into is that almost all planes except very few (FA18 is one) will get stuck immediately if a single wheel gets off the road into grass (for example while turning around). Just something to keep in mind to make matters even more difficult 🙂

-ch

Edited by cfrag

Road and grass (depending on the area) landings are certainly doable in the -25T. Traveling on grassy areas, however, will leave steering broken which it shouldn’t. Assuming the attached trk plays correctly, you’ll see a simple landing on a road I had picked at random.

Su-25T Road Landing.trk

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

On 7/5/2021 at 8:11 AM, HedgeSlammer said:

Hi folks.  I'm hoping you can help me with something.

I've just about finished building the follow up to Abkhazian Antics 1 which ends at a hastily built FARP in northern Georgia.

. . 

Another issue is getting close enough to the FARP vehicles to re-arm & re-fuel.  They're by the side of the road, but the odds are, you'll need to turn around on the grass, which seems a tad tricky for the Frogfoot's poor undercarriage.

. . .

So - does anyone know if it's possible to land on a regular road in a Su25T (unarmed apart from cannon, low fuel) and be in a good enough condition to take off again?

Hey @HedgeSlammer:

#1. I think you can use an invisible FARP and then maybe lay down a hardened pad at the end of the de facto runway for where the Frogfoots have to ground turn.

Let us know how it goes please!

Edited by AvgeekJoe
Needed to tag HedgeSlammer & the link now works
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 8:48 AM, AvgeekJoe said:

Hey @HedgeSlammer:

#1. I think you can use an invisible FARP and then maybe lay down a hardened pad at the end of the de facto runway for where the Frogfoots have to ground turn.

Let us know how it goes please!

Thanks Joe, I've set up an invisible FARP (wanted to use the Russian vehicles to better stand in for the US ones, but for some reason they didn't seem to work - although I didn't investigate it much since the Georgians seem to use a mix of ex-soviet & US vehicles). 

Anyhow - do you mean the raised FARP pad with H on it?  If so, I'm not sure the lil' wheels on the Frogfoot will manage to climb the bank.

• Like 1