Universal shader or new fholger mod?

markturner1960

Hi, not been using my G2 for a while, meantime my Vive pro 2 has arrived, along with my new PC, which I will hopefully be getting up and running  shortly. so wanted to get back up to speed on these mods....Will likely be using the Vive pro 2 for DCS and the G2 on the "Old" PC, which is becoming my sim racing rig PC

Whats the perceived wisdom on these, do you need both, do they work better now? What is the best combo of mods etc ? I can see from reading threads that some people like it, others dont, some say its great, others not.....its confusing!!! 

My new PC will be rocking a 3090, so should have plenty of horsepower.....

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, your 3090 doesn't have enough horsepower 🙂 

45fps repro with 88% resolution is what I'm managing on my 3080ti right now. Using Speed of Heat shader mod and a mix of DCS medium/high settings. DCS is pretty enjoyable as long as you don't fly around Mariana Islands or really complex missions (like the F-16 D-day Normandy quick mission).

I am personally using the universal shader mod for now because I love CAS on the ground textures, it feels like putting on glasses and I can see again. FSR doesn't really do it for me because I can get the same performance by lowering the resolution by the same amount and it looks worse against CAS filtering.

The universal shader mod and fsr, have almost opposite effects in terms of performance the universal shader mod increases the sharpness , it costs you frametimes and increases the shimmer, but increases the "clarity of the image", the fsr mod, enables fsr , it reduces framertimes by about 2ms on GPU, it also has a Sharpness setting, which really like as it increases the shimmer even further, so i set it to 1.0 in the cfg file essentially turning it off.

I havent done the hard testing yet, but  if i run at dropping to Steam Super sampling 80% provides about 1.23ms performance improvement, to get the same 2ms you would have to drop to about 70-60, subjectively its a better image than i would get at 70%... but i have yet to do the hard numbers, and the last part is subjective anyway so ... I would try it and see... 🙂

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

36 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

The universal shader mod and fsr, have almost opposite effects in terms of performance the universal shader mod increases the sharpness , it costs you frametimes and increases the shimmer, but increases the "clarity of the image", the fsr mod, enables fsr , it reduces framertimes by about 2ms on GPU, it also has a Sharpness setting, which really like as it increases the shimmer even further, so i set it to 1.0 in the cfg file essentially turning it off.

I havent done the hard testing yet, but  if i run at dropping to Steam Super sampling 80% provides about 1.23ms performance improvement, to get the same 2ms you would have to drop to about 70-60, subjectively its a better image than i would get at 70%... but i have yet to do the hard numbers, and the last part is subjective anyway so ... I would try it and see... 🙂

🙂

giphy.gif

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

universal shader mod is reshade : advantage : potentially huge community and filters, inconvenient: processing of whole image, you may want different settings for cockpit and  "outside". Eg sharpen in cokpit to improve readability, AA for "outside" to reduce jaggies.

You should also try my mod, that allows this kind of differents settings, plus some other nice features.

As speed-of-heat wrote, fholger is more to win fps for same image quality, or increase image quality for same fps. So you may use both.

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

🙂

giphy.gif

🤣

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

OK, I would be more interested in image quality than FPS, as with my current GPU ( 2080ti) I have performance that I am happy with ( Obviously could be better, but certainly playable and smooth enough) So I am hoping my 3090 is going to be a good step up in terms of being able to increase the image quality, which for me, is the big bug bear of VR....

lefuneste - first I have heard of your mod, which is surprising, how come that has slipped under the radar so far ? 

RecoilFX, see my signature for my current settings - I seem to be getting better than you on a less powerful card? 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I did a quick test this morning : sharpen in fholger is to be set to zero, otherwise there is jaggies increase. Set 0,77 as factor, I got noce fps boost if I keep same output resol, and same fps as before if  I increase output resol by 1,3...I did not see neither image quality worsening, nor more jaggies when undersampling, but also I did not feel image beeing far better when increasing output resolution. So I'll say by default keep output resol and take fps win...

• Thanks 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

On 7/29/2021 at 12:23 PM, lefuneste01 said:

I did a quick test this morning : sharpen in fholger is to be set to zero, otherwise there is jaggies increase. Set 0,77 as factor, I got noce fps boost if I keep same output resol, and same fps as before if  I increase output resol by 1,3...I did not see neither image quality worsening, nor more jaggies when undersampling, but also I did not feel image beeing far better when increasing output resolution. So I'll say by default keep output resol and take fps win...

Same here. Looks awesome!

I'm even running 4x MSAA 100/90 SVR SS and barely hit over 17 ms frametime in Caucuses.

Cockpit is gorgeous... even through my old eyes.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark