Mission 04 (Channel): Fuel Management?

Any tips on fuel management in general, but specifically for Mission 04? Looking at the flight plan I figured fuel would be an issue, but wasn't planning on not having a slipper tank. 

Climbed to FL300 by the time I hit the Channel at climb power (2850/+9) and pitch to 160~180mph.

Cruise at 2650/+4. Barely keeping rad temp at 60C. Any lower and my engine (from past experience) fails.

3.5-minute tussle with a bandit shortly after flying 090 as directed. Tank was almost down to half; skipped Baker and went home. Ran out of fuel shortly after crossing the British coast, and managed to glide and ditch about 16nm southeast of Biggen Hill. 

Or was that by design?

I used to be able to reach Biggin when I made the mission, but I re-tested and ended up in a field 10 miles from Biggin. It is a stretch, especially with the Spitfire cooling issue that's been present for ages.

Just like in the book, Clostermann requests RTB after bagging the 109, because he's low on petrol - this happens in the game too, so you don't need to go all the way to Baker. If I add a slipper tank, you won't be low on fuel at all.

nonetheless I think I'll go ahead and add a drop tank, because it's too much of a stretch in DCS currently.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

Even according to the DCS Spitfire Manual, there should be a bypass system in the radiator circuit such that should the coolant temperature drop <80 the coolant is switched to NOT route through the radiators...

Must be unserviceable at the mo... 😉

• Like 2