D model questions for tomcat nerds

Coreyhkh1

Hey guys I was flying the f16 last night and that got me thinking about what D would improve upon in Dcs and was wondering did it have better situational awareness and navigation system like some of the newer systems like for example the HSD like the f-16 has. The A and B are very reliant on a awacs was the D or upgraded B the same? And another question what did the MFDs in the pilots cockpit display ? 

Think something that flies like an F-14B, has displays that are maybe 75% of the way to a Hornet, Link-16 capable, and a more capable modern radar with equivalent or better range than anything else in the game and you're in the ball park. 

14 minutes ago, near_blind said:

Think something that flies like an F-14B, has displays that are maybe 75% of the way to a Hornet, Link-16 capable, and a more capable modern radar with equivalent or better range than anything else in the game and you're in the ball park. 

And a HUD. And an IRST that may or may not work. Digital flight controls also? Or is that just my old age playing tricks on my memory? 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

36 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

And a HUD. And an IRST that may or may not work. Digital flight controls also? Or is that just my old age playing tricks on my memory? 

DFCS. IRST that could track 4 targets at once. A radar that could see fighters all the way up to 200nm. 

• Like 2

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Digital flight control system did not mature until the late 90s...

With DFCS, there were some maneuvers you could not perform as you did with AFCS.

The NASA tested ARI reprogramming helped most of the spin tendencies and quirky high Alpha behavior.

They explored 60 alpha arena with the f14, particularly when the F110 engines were being tested. These tests were above 30k'.. source..fighter pilots symposium...

If you have time, compare the thrust curves (installed) between the TF30 and F110..you'll see how fat the curve is down low at tactical speeds for the latter. The advantages changes as you fly higher and faster..

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

You can consider the 14D almost a new airplane or "evolution" of the Tomcat. It became a lot more digital with a ton of new avionics, a full up HUD (even different to the B(U) ), new ejection seats and was more capable with the new radar and IRST. With all these new toys it also became quite a bit heavier than the original B, but nothing too drastic, marginal raw performance degradation at best considering same payload and NOT grossweight. 

There are also B(U)'s which also had a differend HUD, similar to the Hornet and A-7, DFCS, PTID and so on. Late A models also got the PTID and DFCS.

Edited by Airhunter

1 minute ago, Airhunter said:

You can consider the 14D almost a new airplane or "evolution" of the Tomcat. It became a lot more digital with a ton of new avionics, a full up HUD (even different to the B(U) ), new ejection seats and was more capable with the new radar and IRST. With all these new toys it also became quite a bit heavier than the original B, but nothing too drastic, marginal raw performance degradation at best considering same payload and NOT grossweight. 

There are also B(U)'s which also had a differend HUD, similar to the Hornet and A-7, DFCS, PTID and so on. Late A models also got the PTID and DFCS.

I actually believe that the SparrowHawk was considered to be the superior HUD compared to the Kaiser. 

• Like 1

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

The APG-71 would also mean that the notch filter/gate would be a lot smaller and that means a lot less work as a RIO to hold locks. The PTID probably allows for a slightly better interface for RIOs to interact with and maybe allows for better SA (on top of Link 16). Those MFDs in the front and back allow for more info at the same time too.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

On 8/28/2021 at 9:45 AM, Coreyhkh1 said:

Hey guys I was flying the f16 last night and that got me thinking about what D would improve upon in Dcs and was wondering did it have better situational awareness and navigation system like some of the newer systems like for example the HSD like the f-16 has. The A and B are very reliant on a awacs was the D or upgraded B the same? And another question what did the MFDs in the pilots cockpit display ? 

Heres the full list:

We start with the F-14B(U), Bs that were upgraded to D standard but don't have every bell and whistle.

Changes to the B(U) include:
- New Sparrowhawk HUD

-Addition of GPS guidance, and such the ability to use JDAMs

-PTID and DDD upgrade, The F-14 from the B to D is very much a patchwork style plane...some planes got the upgraded DDD, others got only got the TID fishbowl replaced with the PTID, some planes got the whole thing.

F-14D changes include whats above as well as:

- New F110 engines

- The APG-70 radar, later modified and used in the F-15E as the APG-71.

- Link-16 capability, some B(U) may have gotten this as well but don't quote me on it.

- AN/AAS-42 IRST system which replaced the TV based TCS.

- New Kasier HUD, similar to Sparrowhawk but still an improvement. 

2 hours ago, Southernbear said:

Heres the full list:

We start with the F-14B(U), Bs that were upgraded to D standard but don't have every bell and whistle.

- New Sparrowhawk HUD

-PTID and DDD upgrade, The F-14 from the B to D is very much a patchwork style plane...some planes got the upgraded DDD, others got only got the TID fishbowl replaced with the PTID, some planes got the whole thing.

- New F110 engines

- Link-16 capability, some B(U) may have gotten this as well but don't quote me on it.

The TCS was still retained in the F-14D. It had a dual chin bulge with a TCS and the IRST.

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

8 hours ago, Southernbear said:

Heres the full list:

- New Sparrowhawk HUD

- New F110 engines

Same old DDD for the B upgrade. The APG-71 made the new DDD a thing. The B upgrades could only drop the GBU-31

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights