A Nice Pair is Always Best

Frostie

What would be an excellent idea and increase sales immensely im sure:music_whistling: would be to release the next a/c in pairs, eg. AH-64/Mi-24 , A-10A/Su-25 , F-16/MiG-29 , F-15/Su-27.

Please make this happen. I make a solemn promise to buy them all and never whine on the forums about anything, plus with the added bonus just for you ED of describing (in a friendly manner) any faults you could patch by rigorously using and abusing each model from every angle.

• Like 2

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

the A-10A will be next then the following year the AH-64 seems like 1 new mod at a tiime.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

yes, but the AH64a kind of acts like a pair since you get the front seat AND back seat in 1 package :)

touché

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Autorotation is a feature in helicopters now?? I thought it was the bi-product of losing all power... So do the Cobra's and Apache's have a 'Lose Power' button or something??

P.S. "safely crash your chopper" is an oxymoron...just pointing that out right now!!

No. Autorotation is a safety feature for when your heli takes a massive dump on you. It is not the bi-product of losing power. You have full control over pitch, roll and yaw on the way down. It is also considered safer to crash land a heli than it is an airplane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation

And um...an oxymoron is also considered safely ejecting from your aircraft. You may be 2 inches shorter and have back problems for the rest of your life...just like a seat belt saves lives. Just like guns kill people.

Edited by hitman

Except that all helicopters have distinct altitude+velocity ranges within which proper/safe autorotation manouvers cannot be performed.

If you're in one of those combinations, your power fails & you haven't got an ejector seat, your helicopter's not going to "Safely crash", it's just going to crash, and you're going to be in it when it happens.

If you have got an ejector seat, you'll probably get to walk up to the wreckage & shake your head about the mess you just made...

(In a Ka-50, wouldn't you be taller, not shorter, as it looks to me like the rocket drags you out via a harness, rather than pushing you out from your butt.)

Cheers.

Except that all helicopters have distinct altitude+velocity ranges within which proper/safe autorotation manouvers cannot be performed.

If you're in one of those combinations, your power fails & you haven't got an ejector seat, your helicopter's not going to "Safely crash", it's just going to crash, and you're going to be in it when it happens.

If you have got an ejector seat, you'll probably get to walk up to the wreckage & shake your head about the mess you just made...

(In a Ka-50, wouldn't you be taller, not shorter, as it looks to me like the rocket drags you out via a harness, rather than pushing you out from your butt.)

Helicopters dont fly at extremely high altitudes. I see helis doing autorotations down at the airport quite often...they train you how to do this. Regardless, I would rather ride that heli down than risk being ejected into rotors...which looks very painful. How many ejection seats have been implemented in helis? Im willing to bet on not very many. Im even willing to bet on why not very many.

No. Autorotation is a safety feature for when your heli takes a massive dump on you. It is not the bi-product of losing power. You have full control over pitch, roll and yaw on the way down. It is also considered safer to crash land a heli than it is an airplane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation

And um...an oxymoron is also considered safely ejecting from your aircraft. You may be 2 inches shorter and have back problems for the rest of your life...just like a seat belt saves lives. Just like guns kill people.

:megalol:

Lol, autorotation is a safety feature!!

Wiki says "Autorotation is the phenomenon which results in the rotation of and lift generation by a rotorcraft's primary rotor through purely aerodynamic forces, under certain conditions."

You should fully read what you are quoting from...

BTW, here is a good source of ACTUAL helicopter learning materiel:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/

download the 'rotorcraft flying handbook' free!!

Anyway, I thought this had turned into a thread about the uselessness of a cable cutter on a black shark?!

:poster_offtopic:

It's not high altitudes they have trouble auto-rotating from, it's low...

Less than 50m at pretty much any speed, and less than 200m from a hover.

You need to be able to build up enough forward velocity to be able to establish a glide ange where you can use the flare at the end to arrest your downward speed...

Regarding ejection seats - The Russians have for decades led the West in regards to the capability of the ejector seats they provide to their pilots

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

:megalol:

Lol, autorotation is a safety feature!!

Wiki says "Autorotation is the phenomenon which results in the rotation of and lift generation by a rotorcraft's primary rotor through purely aerodynamic forces, under certain conditions."

You should fully read what you are quoting from...

Yeah? Not all helis can autorotate. It IS a safety feature that IS inherited in these aircraft. I read that page quite thoroughly, and losing power doesnt have all to do with it. With or without power, you can autorotate safely to the ground. It IS a safety feature regardless.

In helicopters, autorotation of the main rotor allows a controlled descent to an emergency landing in case of powerplant failure. Proper design of the helicopter is necessary to assure that autorotation can be usefully employed, and skilled changes to the collective and cyclic pitch are necessary during the maneuver to manage the energy of the rotor and the airspeed of the craft.

Perhaps you should read it a little closer as well.

It's not high altitudes they have trouble auto-rotating from, it's low...

Less than 50m at pretty much any speed, and less than 200m from a hover.

You need to be able to build up enough forward velocity to be able to establish a glide ange where you can use the flare at the end to arrest your downward speed...

Regarding ejection seats - The Russians have for decades led the West in regards to the capability of the ejector seats they provide to their pilots

The rotor blades still act as a high drag device on the way down...so even from that height, you wont hurt too much. Am I saying you cant get killed? You can get killed walking your dog. All Im saying is that rotating down in a crippled heli is considerably safer than trusting your life on an extra electromechanical device that blows the rotor mast and blades off the aircraft, AND then shooting you UP. Straight into something that may or may not be there.

Edited by hitman

It's saved me numerous times :-)

Truly - I don't know.

On the other hand I haven't heard of any occasions where it didn't, but it might have been expected to...

Do you happen to know the circumstances under which Ka-50 have been brought down/crashed, and the ejector seat demonstrably failed?

The discussion generaly reminds me of those that were had about the Russian zero-zero ejector seats - "they claim they work, but they won't really" then it turned out they did & suddenly everyone wanted one ...

Cheers.