Night vision goggles and gain adjustment

Topgun505

I recently attempted a night mission in the 342 and the night vision was absolutely horrid.  I couldn't really see much of anything and the night vision gain up and gain down did absolutely nothing (yes, I did double check to make sure my keybindings didn't get reset).  On flat panel 2k monitor with most grahpical settings set mid to high, latest drivers, using a 1080 FTW card.  I know it is not supposed to be crystal clear, but in their current state they're unusable.  Is there anything other than gain controls that can help with them?

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

With the introduction of the new lighting system in 2.7, flying by night is now way more tricky - as it should be. If there is no natural lighting source, aka the moon, your NVGs won't do a thing.  Did you check the weather condition before hoping into the aircraft ?

If there's no moon or if there is a thick layer of clouds hiding it, you will only be able to fly with the help of the Vivianne system - requires a bit of practice.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

Well the RL lowlight aviation NVG are more sensitive then infantry/ground vehicle crewman NVG. So they would work even without ambient moonlight. What we have right now is pretty horrid, as far as NVG in DCS 2.7.X . In Gazelle, the depth perception with NVG is more or less gone, especially low to ground, and is so noisy that it interferes with safe operation. With NVG at max , you can hardly see the runway at close in. From distance, even few thousand feet, its all uniformly dark with no depth que. The problem is worse in DCS: Harrier. It is the worst in Normandy, as WWII theater, there is no night lighting of infrastructure. In Normandy, it just goes pitch dark. Unrealistically pitch dark.

Landing a helicopter or harrier on pitch black runway or road in Normandy is a nerve wrecking experience. I can only imagine the terror of real life doing it. Thank Lord the ships have some lights , so close in  we can make out the deck.

I did active duty night operational training. I was field artillery, and everybody in Army gets trained in light infantry patrolling. Its dark, and in woods its very dark. But its never completely pitch black. Eyes get used to it. Right now, even with GI cockpit lighting, we get pitch dark cockpits. There is no night vision compensation. A dark pit is very dark, but its never a black hole dark. DCS needs to work on that. Without increasing CPU or GPU overhead. Maybe slight ambient, or luminosity maps. Very slight.

• 2 years later...
On 9/18/2021 at 3:11 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Well the RL lowlight aviation NVG are more sensitive then infantry/ground vehicle crewman NVG. So they would work even without ambient moonlight. What we have right now is pretty horrid, as far as NVG in DCS 2.7.X . In Gazelle, the depth perception with NVG is more or less gone, especially low to ground, and is so noisy that it interferes with safe operation. With NVG at max , you can hardly see the runway at close in. From distance, even few thousand feet, its all uniformly dark with no depth que. The problem is worse in DCS: Harrier. It is the worst in Normandy, as WWII theater, there is no night lighting of infrastructure. In Normandy, it just goes pitch dark. Unrealistically pitch dark.

Landing a helicopter or harrier on pitch black runway or road in Normandy is a nerve wrecking experience. I can only imagine the terror of real life doing it. Thank Lord the ships have some lights , so close in  we can make out the deck.

I did active duty night operational training. I was field artillery, and everybody in Army gets trained in light infantry patrolling. Its dark, and in woods its very dark. But its never completely pitch black. Eyes get used to it. Right now, even with GI cockpit lighting, we get pitch dark cockpits. There is no night vision compensation nachtkijker kopen. A dark pit is very dark, but its never a black hole dark. DCS needs to work on that. Without increasing CPU or GPU overhead. Maybe slight ambient, or luminosity maps. Very slight.

Hello. I have a question What are people’s thoughts on add on attachments for night vision any recommendations I’m looking at the Wulf system but would like some thoughts and feedback

Edited by lukafred

• 1 month later...

Not the main issue, but...

On 9/7/2021 at 10:42 PM, Topgun505 said:

night vision gain up and gain down did absolutely nothing (yes, I did double check to make sure my keybindings didn't get reset)

Do you mean you pressed and held a joystick button bound to NVG gain up (or down) and saw no change in gain? If so, these bindings are probably "miscoded", they don't "auto-repeat", you need to keep TAPPING the joystick button (for example 45 times 😄) instead of holding it and you'll see that each tap increases/decreases NVG gain a tiny bit.

I'll check at home if I can write different commands for NVG gain (maybe with "value_pressed" in them?) and maybe they will start auto-repeating, i.e. work with press and hold.

EDIT: Yep, that was that.
So the original command looks like this:

{down = iCommandPlane_Helmet_Brightess_Up  , name = _('Night Vision Goggles Gain Up')  , category = _('Night Vision Goggles')},

Replace the word "down" (the very first word in the line) with "pressed". Same goes to Gain Up command which is next to it in the file.

Notes:
1. Gain control will be quite fast, it takes some 1.5 seconds to go from minimum gain to maximum. You can't do anything about it - that's the dubious charm of "iCommandPlane" commands (they're hard-coded).
2. Make sure you know what you're doing before tinkering with those Lua files. After all - it's still on Polychop to officially introduce this change.
3. I'd recommend creating a new copy of the 2 commands (with "pressed"), instead of simply modifying the existing ones, and renaming the copies to something like "Night Vision Goggles Gain Up/Down Gradual" or something of this sort - give them names different from the original ones. Otherwise you'll get orange entries in the Controls window - it means there are multiple commands with the same name, but non-identical definition.
4. I put my modified commands in SA342_CORE directory (/joystick/default.lua). I don't know about precedence (there are now 4 different dirs with control binding files), but SA342_CORE seems to work fine.
5. Of course your changes will be overwritten (erased) with any update to DCS, so as usual - you need to come up with a patent to deal with it (mod managers, Quaggles's "Input Command Injector", version control system or whatever).
6. Polychop said some time ago that they were going to introduce some more changes to input files, so maybe it's better to just wait for them? I don't know.

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box