Controller friendly assignments

hazzer

Hi all, 

Loving the mossie. 

Would appreciate it if we could have some more control assignment options, specifically looking at the gear flaps and bomb bay. 

I have been using my new honeycomb bravo throttle, I would like to use the gear and flaps lever. 

In the sim the controls mean we can go up a notch and down a notch, this doesn't work with the gear as it means the lever can put the gear down and then neutral or up then neutral. 

It would be nice to have the option so when you put the lever up it unlocks the safety and completes the action, moving the gear back to neutral. This slight automation could be replicated for the flaps and bomb bay doors which would stop me from having to click like there is no tomorrow on the gear after Takeoff! 

• Like 2

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

There are a lot of switches that could do with an On/default Off binding rather than the push to alternate we have at the moment. I have a lot of switches that look like sticky buttons to the game.

This is true of many of the others too, mind. There are a couple of planes with those sorts of bindings so it does work without external doohickery.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

1 hour ago, felixx75 said:

-->

If you look at one of the latest comments, my attempt at "merging" the ideas was being rebuffed...

I've tried doing some code jiggery-pokery with an Arduino Leonard based controller, but it didn't work without lever position feedback.

5 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

There are a lot of switches that could do with an On/default Off binding rather than the push to alternate we have at the moment. I have a lot of switches that look like sticky buttons to the game.

This is true of many of the others too, mind. There are a couple of planes with those sorts of bindings so it does work without external doohickery.

I've been looking at the on/off switches and I can make them work using an Arduino that sends "button1" when the switch turns on and "button2" when it turns off.
It works for the on/off switches, but it's not ideal, and it uses twice as many "buttons" as it needs to.

I've found another kind of solution, BUT it involves making an Arduino-driven switch box...
I just set up an Arduino Leonardo as a controller. It can just turn on and off the "buttons", but it can also run sequences.
So, for the landing gear and flaps, I've set up 3-way switches that trigger the gate, wait 0.5s, then move the lever.
This means each such switch uses 3 "button" outputs from the Leonardo.  That's not really an issue, though, as the library used can operate 128 button outputs.
Likewise, the on/off switches use 2 buttons.

What would be REALLY handy is a setup like Elite Dangerous where you can set on/off controls as toggle or "hold" (only active when the button is). 

Voice Attack is perfect for this sort of problem.

Not widely known, but VA can do things without being spoken to as it can also respond to key or button presses or positions.

I have a Warthog setup and my Voice Attack sees my normal bindings for gear, flaps or whatever and inserts the extra keystrokes to operate the locks.

I also have it set so if I hold the brakes (joystick lever) continuously on for more than 10 seconds it sets the park brake lock for me.

For anyone interested here is the VA profile I use for the Mosquito

Mosquito-Profile.vap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Terry Dactil. An excellent solution. Thanks also for the mossie profile.

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:10 AM, Terry Dactil said:

Voice Attack is perfect for this sort of problem.

Not widely known, but VA can do things without being spoken to as it can also respond to key or button presses or positions.

I have a Warthog setup and my Voice Attack sees my normal bindings for gear, flaps or whatever and inserts the extra keystrokes to operate the locks.

I also have it set so if I hold the brakes (joystick lever) continuously on for more than 10 seconds it sets the park brake lock for me.

For anyone interested here is the VA profile I use for the Mosquito

Mosquito-Profile.vap 2.25 kB · 7 downloads

This works a treat! I’ve copied them into my Viacom for DCS profile. Thank you very much Terry Dactil!

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

Thanks, I always forget how great VA is, I mostly use it to get buttons to work that I can't reach well with my mouse in VR, especially in helos.

If any others have the issue that the flaps don't work, I had to use 0.5s for the flap lock, otherwise the flap down didn't register.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eteokles said:

Thanks, I always forget how great VA is, I mostly use it to get buttons to work that I can't reach well with my mouse in VR, especially in helos.

If any others have the issue that the flaps don't work, I had to use 0.5s for the flap lock, otherwise the flap down didn't register.

Thanks for that.

I have had that problem a couple of times now, and been wondering why it happened.

• Like 1