ground object size/scale in VR

peachmonkey

hi, all,

my apologies if this was discussed before, I tried to search for it but couldn't find anything on this topic.

My interest is in WWII birds hence the low level flying and ground object attacks are all up close and personal. I came from that other WWII sim (the one starting with IL and ending with 2) and the first thing I immediately noticed in VR is how ground objects/targets appear so much smaller, talking about 50% less in size in comparison. The size of the object makes it extremely difficult to locate the targets on the ground, especially if they are positioned in close proximity to the buildings, or trees, etc.

I found an interesting post where the blogger is bringing up two distinct factors:

- IPD (inter-pupil distance)

- ICD - distance of the 'virtual 3d camera' from the scene. This one is new to me.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bug-feature-cockpit-size-and-world-scale-in-vr/338584

I've been flying on the SOW server in MP and it's damn nearly impossible to find anything on the ground unless some AA unit starts shooting at me, and even at that point it's still very difficult to locate the source, and once found it's extremely difficult to get any positive ID even from 500m height. 

1. Is the object size in DCS correctly represented when compared to the real life? 
  2. Is there any way to change the scale? I feel like it'll impact everything, not just the ground objects.

It's just a discussion, guys, looking for some feedback...

S!

Edited by peachmonkey

1. Yes but... 2. Yes - change IPD according to your real IPD measurement. It will affect how you perceive the world size.

Never heard of ICD but in a cockpit view it is your virtual eyes.

VR resolution is far from RL view but still you have to consider that visibility of military objects is supposed to be hard by definition - they are specially painted and hidden to not be easily visible, right?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

5 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Don't think the IPD setting will help there (you will see the difference in cockpit scale but not really in far distances.  Ground units are indeed super hard to see in VR

Yes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There is an override world scale option in steamvr/per application/dcs settings which to my eyes brings the world closer.

I have it at 90% and it seems to make the world closer.

Did this in the search for more fps but curiously it seems a more natural and local world scale.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, Haukka81 said:

You have world scale slider in dcs vr optios. (Named as ipd , still wrong name but its dcs)

I have set my 54 and everything is much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and it really makes huge difference when scale is correct. For a long time i didn't bothered to alter scale because everything seemed to be "close enough", but i'm really happy that i finally did. I'm not at home so i can't check where i settled but i think it's around 55-57...now everything is perfect in size, not only cockpit but world around it too, also ground objects of course.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]