Potential Trim bug or maybe just bad game thing that should never actually happen

I have a friend who was flying the f18 and got himself in trouble. he accidentally mapped his Push to talk button to aileron trim right (trimmer switch - Right Wing Down). We then talked for awhile setting up for a mission. We went to take off and I had him check trim. As expected his trim was full right wing down when we looked. He then fixed his controls and started holding left wing down to try to fix it. Here is what we discovered: If you trim to max then keep holding the trim switch. it will go past max for the amount of time the switch is held. It then requires holding the other direction for the same amount of time before the trim will actually start working again. In his case this was about 2 minutes of holding left wing down! 

Should this happen or if max aileron trim is set, or should it not allow it to continue past max? Basically it seems like whatever the value for trim left or right is, it actually has no limit.

Did he tried to press the T/O trim button for resetting trim to 12º?

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

9 hours ago, Grennymaster said:

in not sure, it could be a bug. have you pushed the trim reset button? if thats not worked for you i would think it could be a bug

42 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Did he tried to press the T/O trim button for resetting trim to 12º?

T/O Trim button resets pitch trim to 12 degrees nose up. It does not effect the aileron trim.

16 minutes ago, tech_op2000 said:

T/O Trim button resets pitch trim to 12 degrees nose up. It does not effect the aileron trim.

You´re right misplaced with elevator trim. Thanks.

And engaging full flaps and after to Auto again will reset the aileron trim?

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

7 minutes ago, tech_op2000 said:

I have yet to find any method for resetting aileron trim.

If FCS reset won´t reset aileron trim my guess it´s a bug although i´m no experienced real Hornet pilot, so, it´s only my understanding. But i think it´s worth a try setting FLAPS to Full and then back to Auto to see if it resets aileron trim.

EDIT: after research, FCS reset in flight won´t change anything, so disregard my comment about FCS reset.

Edited by fagulha

3 minutes ago, fagulha said:

If FCS reset won´t reset aileron trim my guess it´s a bug although i´m no experienced real Hornet pilot, so, it´s only my understanding. But i think it´s worth a try setting FLAPS to Full and then back to Auto to see if it resets aileron trim.

setting Flaps to full then back to auto does not reset aileron trim. just tested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tech_op2000 said:

setting Flaps to full then back to auto does not reset aileron trim. just tested.

Sorry i couldn´t help you further.

To be clear. this bug report is not to say that the aileron trim should reset to center by some mechanism. Just that once it reaches max deflection do to trimming; a game value for where the trim is set can continue to increase even though the controls do not move anymore. It will then take as long to return to a normal value as it took going out of normal bounds. I don't think it is too serious of a bug if it even is one because it is unlikely in most operation for the trimmer switch to be held to one side for such a long time (like in my friends case for like 5 or more minutes). I also wouldn't be surprised if it is unknown to ED what the FCS behavior would even be in that scenario. I find it unlikely that any real hornet pilots would do that. 

Guys, add a track of the problem. Without it, this won't be treated as a potential bug.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

@tech_op2000  @Grennymaster @fagulha

If you press and hold the T/O trim button when you are on ground (weight on wheels) the aileron trim will reset 😉 

Activate the control/input-indicator/overlay (not sure what it's called), and you'll see the aileron-trim-bar crawl back to center (it's not instantaneous, like elevator-trim and rudder-trim re-centering, but it does the job)

Edited by TimRobertsen

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

41 minutes ago, TimRobertsen said:

If you press and hold the T/O trim button when you are on ground (weight on wheels) the aileron trim will reset 😉 

Activate the control/input-indicator/overlay (not sure what it's called), and you'll see the aileron-trim-bar crawl back to center (it's not instantaneous, like elevator-trim and rudder-trim re-centering, but it does the job)

Yes i know that´s why i mentioned it, but the problem of the op was about WOFW. Thank you anyway for reply/helping.

On 10/19/2021 at 4:52 AM, TimRobertsen said:

Neat, I'll have to try that out next time I play. I guess we weren't patient enough to find that out. Thanks.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:36 AM, fagulha said:

Yes i know that´s why i mentioned it, but the problem of the op was about WOFW. Thank you anyway for reply/helping.

It actually was for weight on wheels. We were sitting on the carrier deck. I didn't understand from your replies that it needed to be "held down". I thought just press and release, which did appear to do nothing for the aileron trim. I'll have to try it again next time I'm home to play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tech_op2000 said:

It actually was for weight on wheels. We were sitting on the carrier deck. I didn't understand from your replies that it needed to be "held down". I thought just press and release, which did appear to do nothing for the aileron trim. I'll have to try it again next time I'm home to play.

Ahh 🙂 

Yes, press, HOLD, and release. Then check FCS Page and trim should be in 12º.

Edited by fagulha

5 hours ago, tech_op2000 said:

No no, it's press and hold.

The Aileron-trim-recentering might take a couple of seconds if you've trimmed it a lot.

If you just press and release, it will only set the Hornet up for Take-off trim, not recenter the aileron-trim.

First become an aviator, then become a terminator