Mossie vs AI Anton

rkk01

OK, so have shied away from tangling with fighters so far and focused on strike…

Set up a head on vs Anton in ME

At rookie AI I can take out the FW, but the AI use of the vert feels very wrong in the Mosquito - it feels like the Anton would be lethal if it stuck to more prototypical moves??

The AI climbs in all the WWII aircraft, unfortunately even with the AI cheating the Anton is not a good climber. 

IIRC this was actually addressed by ED during a YouTube interview, they are improving AI to react against the weakness of the aircraft it is attacking rather than just do vertical loops. 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

3 hours ago, Krupi said:

The AI climbs in all the WWII aircraft, unfortunately even with the AI cheating the Anton is not a good climber. 

IIRC this was actually addressed by ED during a YouTube interview, they are improving AI to react against the weakness of the aircraft it is attacking rather than just do vertical loops. 

Agreed…

… it’s even worse the other way around - if anyone was uncertain about the Anton’s capabilities, then set up a 1v1 against a Mossie, 12oclock, same speed and height

if you can’t get hits on the Mossie at the merge, then you’re stuffed (and the Mossie has a mouthful of teeth for a head-on😳)

Once you’ve merged, the Anton can’t turn, climb or dive without getting down to 200-300kph and falling all over the sky

The AI Anton is can’t do much against the Mosquito, unless you let it shoot you in the face. Its method of survival is running me out of 20mm ammunition by absorbing a huge amount of hits and still flying - I can only kill it from dead 6 by starting a fire. From other angles it is possible to remove a wing to end the fight. The 303 machine guns without the cannons don’t do anything to the AI. I pour a huge number of bullets into the engine section and nothing happens.

The Mosquito easily out turns the Anton and can hang with it in a climb. A human will use more rolls, or dive away and run, but the AI don’t use the Anton this way.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Hhmmm, my trials with this really shine a light in the AI weakness in DCS WW2

I’ve tried player Anton against Mossie - and the Mossie does stuff that the Spit would be envious of…

Swapped out the Anton for a Dora, and yes, Dora can beat the Mossie every time, but the Mossie can still easily out manoeuvre the 190, which stalls out every time you try to turn with the Mosquito

it’s all very well having the best FMs in simland for each module, but that’s pointless unless the AI have at least similar FM limits

will try Mossie  vs 109 next

2 hours ago, Bozon said:

The Mosquito easily out turns the Anton and can hang with it in a climb. A human will use more rolls, or dive away and run, but the AI don’t use the Anton this way.

Agreed - I’ve been swapping between both in the same ME scenario 

when I fly the Anton it won’t turn or climb without stalling and snap rolling at 250-300kph… and it cant roll (unlike RL) and then dive away.  The AI Mosquito is either faster or can stick with the Anton in all flight regimes.

When I fly the Mossie, I can always get the Anton, but the vertical “hanging on props” routine is just daft…

For such a highly regarded FS, the DCS FMs are a real disbelief and seriously hamper the SP game.

Using the F2 data in track view, the Anton was routinely down to 170-180kph on its vertical loops, and not a sign of a stall or snap roll. On some climbs it was in the 160s

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Sadly true… 😕

Same goes for the AI flak, air gunners and ship borne AA

Ruining what is otherwise the best flight sim available

- with FW190-A8 front armor the AI air gunners aren't an issue at all.  Give it a try. 🙂 The a8 is a freaking tank for that.

- With the ship AA it's a mixed bag. Again with the a8 I usually have 60-70% success rate of hitting them with a bomb. However since there's no damage model for ships the whole bombing exercise is pretty much useless.

- But AI flak (QF 3,7″)  <--- this one is ridiculous at anything above Rookie level.  Curve diving on it from 3k at 700kmh and still manage to get 4-5 shots right in my face, c'mon now...

11 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

- with FW190-A8 front armor the AI air gunners aren't an issue at all.  Give it a try. 🙂 The a8 is a freaking tank for that.

- With the ship AA it's a mixed bag. Again with the a8 I usually have 60-70% success rate of hitting them with a bomb. However since there's no damage model for ships the whole bombing exercise is pretty much useless.

- But AI flak (QF 3,7″)  <--- this one is ridiculous at anything above Rookie level.  Curve diving on it from 3k at 700kmh and still manage to get 4-5 shots right in my face, c'mon now...

I got hit (direct to wing root) by a 10.5cm shell from Prinz Eugen…

TWICE

consecutive missions in the Mossie

AT 16km….!!!!

I’d expect barrage fire from warship main and secondary armament, but not laser guided individual fire at a fast, long-range target.

For ship-mounted AA fire, you also need to explain the weirdly accurate fire from a moving gun platform. Recently read a memoir from a destroyer Gunnery Officer, where he recalled that salvo fire needed to be timed for when the ship was “upright” - ie mid point of roll and pitch

For WW2 the ship and air gun mounts would not have had gyro stabilisation to account for platform movement

DCS doesn’t need to simulate these levels of complexity - just have a random dial down on the accuracy, which seems to be based on the core programme “knowing” the x, y, z coords of all game assets

• Like 1

Just now, rkk01 said:

I got hit (direct to wing root) by a 10.5cm shell from Prinz Eugen…

TWICE

consecutive missions in the Mossie

AT 16km….!!!!

I’d expect barrage fire from warship main and secondary armament, but not laser guided individual fire at a fast, long-range target.

For ship-mounted AA fire, you also need to explain the weirdly accurate fire from a moving gun platform. Recently read a memoir from a destroyer Gunnery Officer, where he recalled that salvo fire needed to be timed for when the ship was “upright” - ie mid point of roll and pitch

For WW2 the ship and air gun mounts would not have had gyro stabilisation to account for platform movement

DCS doesn’t need to simulate these levels of complexity - just have a random dial down on the accuracy, which seems to be based on the core programme “knowing” the x, y, z coords of all game assets

16km in Mossie? 😄 or was it 16,000 feet?

Yeah, single shell aimbot is annoying as hell at that altitude. Spend 30 minutes climbing, finally level off, gain some speed, want to reach out for a cup of tea to relax before the attack and BAM.. dead.. Who? Where? How?  Ohhh.. there's that tiny little boat 5km below me with the laser guided WWII artillery shells.. 😄

I had no idea why my wing fell off - two separate missions…

Had shot down the Ju-88 mission objectives over Dover and was heading back to Manston… probably about 2,000’, 240mph

BANG - port wing gone

Looked through the debrief and both occasions I’d been hit by a 10.5 from Prinz Eugen off Bologne-Sur-Mer… I was using labels to help the mission testing, so could see she was 16km away…!

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

I had no idea why my wing fell off - two separate missions…

Had shot down the Ju-88 mission objectives over Dover and was heading back to Manston… probably about 2,000’, 240mph

BANG - port wing gone

Looked through the debrief and both occasions I’d been hit by a 10.5 from Prinz Eugen off Bologne-Sur-Mer… I was using labels to help the mission testing, so could see she was 16km away…!

oh, I thought you were 16km above it  🙂 my bad..

check the new patch notes. We've got 2 second fuse delay on all bombs. Finally we can do some serious low level bombing without dying from the splash damage!