Ability to place some ground units on ships or sea-shelf objects

Tank50us

With all the helicopters we're getting now, it'd be nice if we could place infantry onto the decks of ships and onto the various oil and gas platforms available in game. The reasoning here is that it would be good to create things like boarding actions via helicopter insert, or for cases to stop the ship from leaving an area with WMDs onboard with a bunch of dudes shooting at the helicopter trying to get the ship to stop.

This could also allow us to simulate 'armed merchant ships' by placing infantry and certain weapon systems on the deck that we now have to worry about. I'm sure the list of possible scenarios people could dream up for this ability are endless...

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

With all the helicopters we're getting now, it'd be nice if we could place infantry onto the decks of ships and onto the various oil and gas platforms available in game. The reasoning here is that it would be good to create things like boarding actions via helicopter insert, or for cases to stop the ship from leaving an area with WMDs onboard with a bunch of dudes shooting at the helicopter trying to get the ship to stop.

This could also allow us to simulate 'armed merchant ships' by placing infantry and certain weapon systems on the deck that we now have to worry about. I'm sure the list of possible scenarios people could dream up for this ability are endless...

This was requested here before just recently (as most wishes on this forum 😋)

But yes, that would be a very welcome feature

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

+1

I requested a similar thing here.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Well, technically it is possible to place units on most of these objects, it's just not supported in ME: you need to place them with Lua scripts. Once placed, they can't really do much. Also, placing them on static (unmoving) ships is hit/miss (depends if the have a hit box to place stuff on), and this currently won't work (well) with moving ships:

image.png

I've included a proof of concept mission that uses enhanced 'spawn zones' to place these troops with ME and allows troop helos (Huey, Hip, Hind) to pick them up and drop them. If you want to experiment with the spawn zones, please ensure that you make the 'baseName' attribute unique, or the spawners will compete for group names, and start replacing each other's groups. 

She sells sea shelfs.miz

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...