Is this new in DCS?

cfrag

So I'm definitely not the most observant person in the world. Yesterday, after being in awe over the new water shaders, I broke out my mission where I'm doing fleet supply ops for a carrier group off the cost of Syria. It's evening, and the sun has just set eye-wateringly beautiful; it's getting dark quickly, and I'm on a low and slow approach to a Tawara, when suddenly I realize something that made me gasp in surprise - the water that's caught in my Huey's search light glows emerald green

Is this part of the new water shader set, or has it been like that for some time? 

In any event, it's incredibly beautiful. 

-ch

2 hours ago, cfrag said:

So I'm definitely not the most observant person in the world. Yesterday, after being in awe over the new water shaders, I broke out my mission where I'm doing fleet supply ops for a carrier group off the cost of Syria. It's evening, and the sun has just set eye-wateringly beautiful; it's getting dark quickly, and I'm on a low and slow approach to a Tawara, when suddenly I realize something that made me gasp in surprise - the water that's caught in my Huey's search light glows emerald green

Is this part of the new water shader set, or has it been like that for some time? 

-ch

That would definitely be new.  I've been waiting years for spotlights to be reflected on water.  Nice to hear that they've finally implemented it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Enduro14 said:

pic?

Do you have any idea how difficult that is when in VR without being able to bind screen shot to a hotas key??? 😎

Anyway, here's a mild attempt at demonstrating what I'm seeing at short notice (and with minimal falls into the drink. Effect is better when darker of course, but I've had too many coffees right now). See the glowing green pyramid (below the blue HMD selector cross) extending from under the Huey that quickly fades with distance? The still image doesn't do it justice, it looks stunningly good with the moving surface: real depth perception of the beam going through sea water.

image.png

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 5:00 AM, cfrag said:

-ch

as far as im aware its been like that for some time, its probably been improved tho

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

I think "searchlights" was present early from Ka-50, but the new waters shaders can be improve them very well the water reflections.

I'll try in a couple of minutes, but I'm sure I tried thousands of times and the light just don't hit the water at all.

Stay safe

Well!!!! Nevermind!!! It works fantastic!! I don't since when this happens but I'm happy. We can now do SAR in the ocean during the night!
Could you post a picture of what it's like for you.
I get the cones but they are very dark for me. Nothing like the real world when I shine a light on the ocean. Been doing that all my life.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Could you post a picture of what it's like for you.
I get the cones but they are very dark for me. Nothing like the real world when I shine a light on the ocean. Been doing that all my life. emoji4.png
Cheers!

Not right now, but maybe later today.

For me it's far from real when the light is extended. When it's stowed beneath the airframe it is quite bright, powerful and real. But as soon as you begin extending it it becomes too dark. I have many hours in the Huey irl as well.

Wait... nevermind, I had one pic from yesterday when I was excited to see this.

35515716-92ab-40e4-b38f-5606d88b85c5.jpg

Stay safe

I did some more tests, and it seems that I was flying very very low and that's why it was so bright. If you fly a little bit higher than 250ft then the lights are barely visible.

I think it's limitation of the huey itself, maybe not DCS.

Stay safe

I did some more tests, and it seems that I was flying very very low and that's why it was so bright. If you fly a little bit higher than 250ft then the lights are barely visible.
I think it's limitation of the huey itself, maybe not DCS.
Thanks!